3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2007 9:21 PM by Logomorph

Query regarding conversion of Quick Time movie files to .swf format

Sudeshchan_Shetty
      Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to convert QT movie files to .swf format using any tool ?

Will it significantly reduce the file size ?

Suppose we have a QT movie file of size 3MB , when it is converted to .swf
      format what will be its size ?

Then can we play this .swf file using QT player or we require flash player
      to do so .

Kindly answer these queries.

Thanking you,

With Best regards,
      Anil.
        • 1. Re: Query regarding conversion of Quick Time movie files to.swf format
          Level 7
          Sudeshchan Shetty wrote:

> Is it possible to convert QT movie files to .swf format using any tool ?

Hi Anil.

Yes, you can. You can import QT movies into Flash and embed the movie and then
          export an swf version of it. You can also convert teh video to a FLV (Flash
          video) and have a swf that provides the controls and player for it.

> Will it significantly reduce the file size ?

File size probably will go down but that depnds on what compression the orginal
          QT has and what compression you use when importing to Flash. I'd say start with
          a high quality QT, then try various compression levels when importing to get
          the best size to quality balance.

> Suppose we have a QT movie file of size 3MB , when it is converted to .swf
          > format what will be its size ?

Is hard to say - as mentione dabove, depends on what the QT's compression is.

> Then can we play this .swf file using QT player or we require flash player
          > to do so .

You'll have to play the swf through Flash. Why would you wnat to play it
          through QT?

What's the output for - CD/web? I'd suggest FLVs ratehr than an embedded vidoe
          into a swf as you can get better quality control and playback.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 2. Re: Query regarding conversion of Quick Time movie files to .swf format
            Level 7
            I've shipped two projects with FLV videos instead of QT it works great once
            you get everything set up.

I posted how to do it somewhere previously in one of these groups, but the
            second time I did I found I left out a few things, I'll make a full repost
            here soon on all the steps. It works great. I posted one of the projects
            online, and the day I did it, all the videos worked perfect, then the next
            day I made a slight update, reshocked it and now the videos don't work.
            Haven't had a chance to iron that out.

It's really nice to not have to ship with a QT installer.

Timm

"Sudeshchan Shetty" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f7peuv$o9a$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > Is it possible to convert QT movie files to .swf format using any tool ?
            >
            > Will it significantly reduce the file size ?
            >
            > Suppose we have a QT movie file of size 3MB , when it is converted to .swf
            > format what will be its size ?
            >
            > Then can we play this .swf file using QT player or we require flash player
            > to do so .
            >
            > Kindly answer these queries.
            >
            > Thanking you,
            >
            > With Best regards,
            > Anil.
            >

• 3. Re: Query regarding conversion of Quick Time movie files to .swf format
              Logomorph
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              I've shipped two projects with FLV videos instead of QT it works great once
              you get everything set up.

I posted how to do it somewhere previously in one of these groups, but the
              second time I did I found I left out a few things, I'll make a full repost
              here soon on all the steps. It works great. I posted one of the projects
              online, and the day I did it, all the videos worked perfect, then the next
              day I made a slight update, reshocked it and now the videos don't work.
              Haven't had a chance to iron that out.

It's really nice to not have to ship with a QT installer.

Timm

I've been beating my head in trying to burn a hybrid Dvd with Toast and lamenting that I can only get half the amount of data on one Dvd. But, I could just add a QuickTime installer for Windows users?

That's acceptable?

I've also been wondering about converting my videos to a Flash format. However, wouldn't the user still have to have a Flash Player in order to view the videos? Wouldn't I need to have a Flash Player installer on it? Actually two, one for Mac and one for Windows. What new can of worms would this open?

And, (this is just a gripe) how come there's no Shockwave plug-in for Intel Macs????? I've got a brand new Mac Pro and no Shockwave plug-in!

Thanks for any and all responses. I've been out of the "Director-ship" for about 4 years, and things have changed! I'm very glad to have found this forum. Hope I don't become a pest.

;)