4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2011 1:59 AM by carmecarmecarme

Cinema 4D to AE problem - random white flashes

aims_dee_86

Hi guys, just having a really random problem.

I've exported a cinema 4d file to AE so I can put the finishing touches on in ae.

When I scrub through the timeline in AE everything looks perfect.

However when I render it out there's these random white flashes that occur? I have no idea what's causing this.

I've tried placing black solids in the back, rendering out in different formats, nothing works.

When I export from C4D - QuickTime movie with the Animation codec is selected and the Alpha Channel, Straight Alpha and 24 bit dithering are selected by default (could these be causing it?). I dont want to experiment because it takes about 6 hours to render that simple animation...(wtf??)

Also in relation to the Composition project file, relative and include 3d data are selected along with After Effects as the target application.

here's an example of what's going on:

http://vimeo.com/15378812

I'm running:

i7 950 3.06ghz

24GB 1333mhz ram

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

Raid 10 setup

• 1. Re: Cinema 4D to AE problem - random white flashes
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I dont want to experiment because it takes about 6 hours to render that simple animation...(wtf??)

And your point? 3D rendering is an intense process, even more so when as per your example you use reflections and all that. I don't see a problem here, you are just inexperienced and lack a frame of reference from using more 3D programs, obviously.

When I export from C4D - QuickTime movie with the Animation codec is selected and the Alpha Channel, Straight Alpha and 24 bit dithering are selected by default (could these be causing it?).

Yes, it's stupid. Not for the settings but for the simple fact that when the machine were to crash halfway inbetween, you'd lose all your work because the clip would end up being damaged. likewise, you cannot interrupt and continue at a later point. It's simply a bad workflow. always use image sequences! That aside, it may still be a compression glitch, but this is between you and the effed up little app that C4D is these days...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Cinema 4D to AE problem - random white flashes
            aims_dee_86 Level 1

calm down rambo I've only dulged into the 3D programs as of 3 days ago, of course I'm inexperienced and thus why I'm posting a help topic. I've seen numerous tutorials on people exporting via quicktime animations so naturally that's why I went with that choice.

Is C4D not the best 3D program to be associating with AE? Only reason I began learning it was because of the fact you can export directly into AE...maya just seemed to be way out of my league for now.

I'll try rendering it via image sequences and see if that helps, thanks for the info mate =)

• 3. Re: Cinema 4D to AE problem - random white flashes
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is C4D not the best 3D program to be associating with AE?

There is no "best" program. These are urban myths roaming the mograph scene and propagated by some C4D fanboys, even more so today, where pretty much any 3D program offers scripts or plug-ins to exchange 3D data with AE... Otherwise they all just render out images which AE will be happy to use.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Cinema 4D to AE problem - random white flashes
                carmecarmecarme

Maby you can find some help at this webpage: http://3dmodelsobjects.com