9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 12:17 PM by Steve Werner

Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5

BrianStalians

Could someone help a me out. I just can not find the answer to this and I know it should be simple, I am just missing it.

I am creating an ePub from CS5 InDesign. All I want to do is have the italics that are shown in the text box in InDesign, show up in the epub file.

I would prefer not to say what I have done (I think I have tried everything, but obviously I did them all wrong, so no point listing them) and I am hoping someone can do a simple, step by step guide to how to have italics show up in the ePub file.

Sorry if this question is beneath everyone, this is really annoying that I can not figure this out on my own.

• 1. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
          marcusstringer Level 3

I think there are heaps of posts about this...

like this one:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3021141#3021141

Basiclly, the way I do it is to create an Italic character style sheet for italics, and abold, and bold italics.

Then do a search and replace for italics changing them to the italic character style.

If you did that then you will have to unlzip the epub and edit the template.css file in Dreamweaver and check that you span class for italics look like this

span.italic {
              font-weight: normal;
              font-style: italic;
          }

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
            BrianStalians Level 1

Yup, done this.

In InDesign, the text is Italic. It has the Character Style Italic associated with it.

But when I export to ePub, it is not italic.

Here is the HTML from the xhtml file for a single line of what is supposed to be italic text,

<p class="normal normal-override-2" xml:lang='en-us'><span class="italic italic-override">Words that should be Italic.</span></p>

The above line does not show up as italic in any of the 3 readers I am using to test with.

Now, in the css sheet, the span.italic-override does not have anything associated to font-style. If I manually add the font-style italic, then re-pack everything, it works.

It just seems to me a bit absurd to have to export the epub, unpack it, open it in dreamweaver, add the font-style, and repack it just to have something as simple as italic work.

So, I am missing something, I get that... I just can't figure out what!

• 3. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
              marcusstringer Level 3

yes unfortunatly sometime it does that. ID is only really a vessel to get content into the epub format.

You need to go through your CSS for every job.

Adding

, serif; or sans-serif; after every occorence of a font.

also most importanley in CS5 make sure you font name at the top of the CSS file have "" around then, otherwise it won't display correctly in Adobe Digital Editions, in fact check the rest of the code of this a well eg:

@font-face {
              font-family: Minion Pro;
              font-style: normal;
              font-weight: normal;
              src:url("Fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf");
              }

I really only do the basic minimun required in ID and do the rest in dreamweaver

• 4. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
                BrianStalians Level 1

Yes, I think I have wracked my brains enough on this.

I spent the day, tweaking ID as much as it could, then after exporting to ePub, opening all the individual files in DW and cleaning up the code and making everything look the way it should.

I am disappointed that something as simply as keeping the font-style set to italic is so difficult for such an expensive program to handle. Because, in the end, that is almost all I had to do - open the css file and set font-style to italic and bold to strong.

I appreciate the help. You were awesome!

• 5. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
                  ksng77

Just my 2 cents. Don't fully rely on ADE for testing your ePUB file as I noticed that sometimes your ePUB file looks fine in ADE but it will not work in the actual ereaders in some of the devices. Also some ereaders will not have the fonts that you want and it will end up using a different font, on top of that some eReaders allow user to change the font as well so I would reckon don't spend too much time on embedding your fonts in ePUB.

• 6. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
                    roberto13026757 Level 1

I don't know which version of ID provided it, but now you can just select the "Preserve local overrides," on the CSS page of the EPUB Export Options. It works just fine. I'm using CC 2017, but I'm sure this setting was available in earlier versions.

• 7. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're replying to a posting from six years ago. CS5 had very primitive handling of EPUB files so much, much has changed. That was also before the advent of EPUB 3 and Fixed Layout EPUB files.

• 8. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
                        roberto13026757 Level 1

Hey Steve,

That's true. Unfortunately, when searching for a solution to maintaining italics for an EPUB to Kindle conversion, this is one of the few sites that displays. I usually export a book for print. Rarely do I do an EPUB, so I had to search for a solution. It would have been nice if Adobe easily provided new info instead of old. Perhaps this thread should be deleted and a new answer provided in the support pages. I answered to save others time who stumbled onto this answer.

In Boston many of the streets don't have street signs because everyone knows their names. That works great, unless you're from out of town. Likewise, for those who don't know how to maintain italics for EPUB to Kindle conversion, they could use some help.

• 9. Re: Need help with Italics for ePub and InDesign CS5
                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Way long after that 2010 conversation, we set up an InDesign EPUB forum. I'll move this discussion there in case anyone who actively creates EPUB files with InDesign cares to comment.