16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2007 2:57 PM by lbi_prof

BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......

Samuel_Joseph_IV
      I got an email about Adobe wanting to me to take a survey on how I use Director......

As far as when Director 11 is going to be out.... well....The email says 'near the end of 2007' not 'some time in the middle of 2007' .... So it sounds like there will be a Dr11. just not as soon as we want

I think this is Great News :-D

Yay!!!!
        • 1. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
          Level 7
          Good news, but Adobe needs to get some promotion out on Director 11
          immediately. They certainly gave tons of prerelease info on CS3 and it has
          years since the last Director release. There is a demand for information and
          confirmation on this.

"Samuel Joseph IV" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f7pcpn$m07$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I got an email about Adobe wanting to me to take a survey on how I use
          > Director......
          >
          > As far as when Director 11 is going to be out.... well....The email says
          > 'near
          > the end of 2007' not 'some time in the middle of 2007' .... So it sounds
          > like
          > there will be a Dr11. just not as soon as we want
          >
          > I think this is Great News :-D
          >
          > Yay!!!!
          >

• 2. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
            Level 7
            TJD wrote:

> Good news, but Adobe needs to get some promotion out on Director 11
            > immediately. They certainly gave tons of prerelease info on CS3 and it has
            > years since the last Director release. There is a demand for information and
            > confirmation on this.

With most broad release notices, you can expect the actual release date to be
            towards the end of that period.
            Second half of the year = End of year (December)
            Under $1,000 = $999.99

Adobe has picked up the pace on promoting Director. CS3 was huge for Adobe. It
            was their largest launch in the company's history. That was because it covered a
            huge range of products from old Creative Suite and acquired Macromedia Products.
            And last Creative Suite was 2 years before. So, it was a big deal for Adobe.

I argued that this Adobe marketing period should have given some mention to
            Director even to just say, it's progressing. But alas that did not happen. But,
            Adobe aren't ignoring Director leading up to D11's launch. With the CS3
            e-seminars that were recently run by Adobe, one was run on Director. And from my
            Adobe contacts, I know other things will be happening. So keep your eyes out. As
            soon as anything happens, I'll post here:)

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 3. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
              Level 7

My two favorite programs, Director MX 2004 and Unreal Tournament 2004 are
              both doing this exact same thing. I'm going crazy!

It will ship next 1/2 of the year, we promise!!!

Cheers!

Timm

• 4. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                Ex Malterra Level 1
                I would say this is a case of "any news is good news". I took the survey; it seems geared to assisting them in their marketing efforts. The more the merrier I suppose because the more copies of Director they sell the more they will invest in it. I certainly hope so, I've got a lot riding on 3D here at work since I've been pushing it in demos and proposals. I've got a pitch to a potential client the middle of next month that will be heavy in interactive 3D. I want to use Director because it integrates well with Flash (most of our developers are of that type), because it's less expensive and has greater capabilities that Virtools, and because I'm used to it and like it. But I need QTVR to work in Shockwave and I need 3D to work in Vista. SOON!
                • 5. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                  VFXpodcast
                  That's odd.

I have 4 licenses of Director and not a peep from Adobe. No survey email.

Regardless.... I am jazzed about it still kicking and breathing. And oddly I am glad it is not coming out yet. At least it gives a little more time dealing with Vista.

• 6. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                    Level 7
                    VFXpodcast wrote:

> That's odd.
                    > I have 4 licenses of Director and not a peep from Adobe. No survey email.

Hi VFX,

Where are you?

I spoke to Rick Jones who organised the survey and he said it was sent out to a
                    North America audience first and may be expanded to a wider one later.

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                    email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 7. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                      Level 7
                      > has greater capabilities that Virtools...

I hope you don't mind me raising this question - is this really the case?

It's a genuine question as I've a real fondness for Director and shudder at
                      the thought of its demise, but I'm also an EON Reality developer and what
                      with Virtools being its [EON] major competitor I'm somewhat intrigued to
                      know of the benefits [and indeed cons] of Virtools vs. SW3D vs. EON, etc.!

Ta in advance... ;-)

• 8. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                        Ex Malterra Level 1
                        When I say Director has greater capability than Virtools I mean in general, not specifically regarding 3D. To the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge Virtools is poorly suited, if at all suited, for any type of application other than interactive 3D. I’ve not developed with Virtools but our modeler did with his previous employer, so all my knowledge is second hand and 3D artist-centric, not programmer-centric.

I’ve never heard of EON Reality but am checking out their site now, thanx for the info.

Ultimately comparisons are moot for us anyway, we’re limited in our delivery format to customer approved browser plug-ins; Shockwave is our only choice at present.
                        • 9. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                          thismarty Level 1
                          VirTools' cost/licensing makes it poorly suited for any sort of development that isn't heavily funded. ;-)
                          • 10. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                            Level 7
                            I just got my copy of CS3 web development premium. Director is going to be
                            capable of levitation before I even think of buying it at this point.

"tr" <timmr3-nospam-@excite.com> wrote in message
                            news:f7qt81$icg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >
                            > My two favorite programs, Director MX 2004 and Unreal Tournament 2004 are
                            > both doing this exact same thing. I'm going crazy!
                            >
                            > It will ship next 1/2 of the year, we promise!!!
                            >
                            > Cheers!
                            >
                            > Timm
                            >

• 11. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                              Level 7
                              > I just got my copy of CS3 web development premium. Director is going to be
                              > capable of levitation before I even think of buying it at this point.

Or perhaps it will have an updated Flash Asset xtra capable of utilising
                              AS3-published Flash movies.
                              • 12. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                                Aquilonian Level 1
                                This means if i made an AS3 game and want to put inside a Director11 file (to stop decompiling) the players have one more Xtra to download?
                                • 13. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                                  budgiebird Level 1
                                  Well, when they get around to the UK I have two licenses PC & Mac, but I did go on line and fill out the survey a few months, it may well be over a year ago now. Also I've just convinced the company I'm working with at the moment to buy two copies of their own for the PC. They arrive tomorrow !!
                                  • 14. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                                    www.gamesmaken.pagina.nl Level 1
                                    I hope to be involved in the shaping of the future of Director as well as a serious game designer. Working with Director for some years now. www.wouterbaars.net

(unfortunately did not get an email, because i am in the Netherlands)
                                    • 15. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                                      degen8
                                      I really hope they pull this out soon.

I work heavily with 3d in Director and lecture in its usage. I've been finding it increasingly difficult to justify teaching Director to students who don't want to learn something that is redundant.

I've pushed the 3d in Director to its limits and I need an overhaul of it or else I'm going to have to start working with something more robust.

Adobe (and previously Macromedia) have been doing themselves no favours in keeping quiet about Director.
                                      • 16. Re: BREAKING NEWS     Director 11......
                                        lbi_prof Level 1
                                        We also teach Director at our community college and would appreciate more communication and support for the educational community. Will there be new educational teaching materials so that the students can get excited about the possibilities of Director 11? Authors might consider including the Creative Suite tools, interactive 3D, and gaming into the training materials.