3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2010 2:49 AM by Mylenium

CS4 PS 3D into AE...help!

mark pilkinton

I am importing a Photoshop 3D layer file into AE. It makes a new composition with it's on camera and and control layer. I am wanting to import the 3D layer into an existing composition, but when I rotate the 3D comp, it's a flat 2D image when adding into the existing comp. If I open just the 3D comp, I have full 3D control. Is there a way to bring a Photoshop 3D layer into an existing project and have the same 3D control as if it were just the the 3D comp?

• 1. Re: CS4 PS 3D into AE...help!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to copy&paste the content, that is the PS 3D layer, the camera and the Controller layer created on import. PS Live 3D is strictly an intra-layer effect and has nothing to do with AE's normal 3D, so things like Collapse Transformations will have no effect.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS4 PS 3D into AE...help!
            mark pilkinton Level 1

I'm not sure what you mean about copy and paste. Are you saying copy the Camera, Controller and the PS 3D layers that are inside the comp that was created when importing the PS 3d file into my first comp? I have read up more after my post and it looks like I need to edit the controller layer and set my key frames inside the imported PS 3D comp and then go back to my original comp and set it where I want. In doing this, the one thing that drives me crazy is moving the controller layer inside the comp that was created when importing the PS 3D file. The controller layer seems to work like a null object, but it's HUGE and the slightest movement sends my object off the screen. Any further help would be great!

• 3. Re: CS4 PS 3D into AE...help!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Are you saying copy the Camera, Controller and the PS 3D layers that are inside the comp that was created when importing the PS 3d file into my first comp?

Correct. The cam is optional - when inserted into a comp with an existing cam, the effect will use that one. Naturally, it will also use the cam's settings, so the 3D will look different.

the one thing that drives me crazy is moving the controller layer inside the comp that was created when importing the PS 3D file. The controller layer seems to work like a null object, but it's HUGE and the slightest movement sends my object off the screen.

Well, you imported the object into PS at a tiny scale. It's nothing you can fix in AE. The flaw is with PS, obviously, as it simply sets 1 unit = 1 pixel, which is of course utterly useless, if the object has been built to scale and 1m suddenly becomes so small... Scale the object by a factor of 1000 or so in PS, then import again.

Mylenium