4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2010 12:09 PM by ShinyHappyGoth RSS

    Error Message - OPSUFont0 contains bad widths

    jlfairchild Community Member

      I've been receiving this error message when I open PDFs sent to me by staff.  Has anyone else received this particular error message, or know anything about how to fix the pdf or correct it at the process end.  In most cases, the PDFs contain scanned pages of both type and handwritten text.  In one instance I believe the error was caused/introduced when staff combined several PDFs into one.  When I asked for individual PDFs the problem was not reproduced.  However, in another instance, the error was reproduced.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  We currently use Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.4.

       

      Here is the property detail of the font:

       

      OPSUFont0

      Type: Type 1

      Encoding: Custom

      Actual Font: Adobe Sans MM

      Actual Font Type: Type 1

       

      I know that Adobe Sans MM is a substitution font when the original font is not available.

       

      Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

       

      Many thanks in advance,

      jessica

        • 1. Re: Error Message - OPSUFont0 contains bad widths
          ShinyHappyGoth Community Member

          Did you ever find a solution or workaround for this?  We're having the same problem.  That and an unspecified "Bad parameter."

          • 2. Re: Error Message - OPSUFont0 contains bad widths
            jlfairchild Community Member

            Greetings,

            Unfortunately I did not find a workaround or a solution outside rescanning.  I tried a few different techniques including resaving, turning on/off fast web view, but to no avail. I was surprised not to find too much information on the web about this.  Let me know if you arrive at any solution or workaround.

             

             

            Warmly,

            Jessica

            • 3. Re: Error Message - OPSUFont0 contains bad widths
              ShinyHappyGoth Community Member

              Well, I tried breaking down the second of the files to be combined and adding it page by page to the first file, and running the accessibility check after each one.  No errors until I added page 15, at which point it gave the error immediately upon importing as well as when I ran the check.  In other words, it is definitely a localized problem based in one or more specific pages.  I'll give more information as I proceed, but at present my best guess at a solution is to retag or replace that page.

              • 4. Re: Error Message - OPSUFont0 contains bad widths
                ShinyHappyGoth Community Member

                Okay, yeah, the solution seems to be:

                1. Extract all the pages of the file to be added as separate files.
                2. Insert them one at a time, checking for errors and then saving after each success.
                3. When you hit one that generates an error, make a note of it, revert, and skip that page.
                4. Extract as a single file all the pages after the page that generated the error, and try inserting that file and see if you get an error.  If so, revert and repeat steps 2-4.  If not, it'll save a lot of time.
                5. Once you've determined the problem pages, recreate and insert those.

                 

                A potentially faster method for long documents would be to extract as a single file half the pages of the problem file, and if that half has the error, then half of those, and so on until you've narrowed it down to the right page(s).