13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 6:38 AM by cfsKC

New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?

cfsKC Level 1

My new workstation is performing much worse than expected in the PPBM5 test as compared to other computers with the same or very similar components (i7-930 no O.C., 24GM RAM, P6X58D Premium motherboard, EVGA GTX 470 graphics card and PremPro 5.0.2).

1. The total time and performance index are much slower than anticipated
      2. The MPE ON rendering is dramatically underperforming compared to MPE OFF.

The cropped test results from Sept 27 are shown below. Computers with similar components to mine (DM_3) have red lines under them. It it particularly interesting to note that several other computers with MPE are also under performing.

PPBM5 Test Results for i7-930 CPUs.jpg

This was the best test result of those I ran. In some others, the computer was set for "Best Performance" and all un-needed programs turned off and yet the results were a bit worse than those in which I had not made such changes.

The machine was assembled by an apparently competent computer service professional who does video editing himself. He made sure the latest drivers were downloaded and installed.

I have a four hard drive, no RAID system installed; C:\ OS & Programs, E:\ Media & Projects, F:\ Media Cache and G:\ Previews & Exports.

For the PPBM5 test shown above, the project file was located on the E:\ drive and the scratch fiels were set to "Same as Project", the Preferences were set for Media Cache files on the F:\ drive. In other tests I changed the locations of the scratch files but saw no visual evidence of improvement and the Statistics.vbs file would not function.

I even ran the test with the Capture Format, in Project Settings, set to HDV instead of DV as the test Readme file shows. The results of this test showed a wider gap in performance with the MPE but it was still only a 3 X improvent over Software Only.

Something is amiss and I am at a loss to understand what. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your scores are: 132 - 46 - 96 - 70 with as total of 344, right?

46 for MPEG2-DVD is excellent and wholly caused by the 24 GB memory. 96 for H.264-BR is in line with other similar systems, maybe even slightly better. The MPE result is extremely bad and the AVI result is somewhat disappointing.

If you look closely at the progress bar in AME while exporting the AVI test, you will see that it appears to show a hiccup at the very end of the test, slowing down visibly. Just eyeballing the results, what roughly is the time for the first part and what is the duration of that very last part?

Do you happen to have indexing and/or compression on, on any disk? Do you have some anti-virus, anti-spam or anti-anything running during the test?

Can you post a screenshot from Process Explorer (not Task Manager) that shows all running processes? Have you changed memory allocation for PR/AME from default?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
            cfsKC Level 1

Harm -

1. You are correct about the scores.
            2. The export of the AVI test was just completed again and took a total of 156 seconds. There were two hiccups at the end of the test. One occurred after 136 seconds with 16 left and the second occurred  with just 6 or 7 seconds left.
            3. Compression is NOT on for any of the disks. Indexing is ON for all of the disks. I had the anti-virus & spam on for the test submitted to PPBM5 and some subsequent tests. When ever I closed the anti-virus & spam programs AND set Windows for maximum performance, the results were worse than when they were both at "normal" settings.
            4. I do not know how to find Process Explorer. I have, therefore, shown below screen shots of the Resource Monitor Overview for processes as well as those from Task Manager.  I have NOT changed memory allocation from Default for either AME or PR.

Resource Monitor Full Overview .jpg

Processes.jpg

• 3. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Turn off indexing on all your disks. Look here for Process Explorer, it is one of the many utilities here:  Sysinternal Utilities

You have a number of processes running that consume lots of resources and are not needed. I will be able to give you more exact details once I have seen the screen shot from Process Explorer, but you can kill Windows automatic updates, Java updates, DivX updates, and all your anti-virus etc. processes. That will all help.

• 4. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                JEShort01 Level 4

Harm,

I'm not sure why this email came to me; BTW, I have not even posted to the thread listed below!

Cheers,

Jim

• 7. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a case of way to many processes/services for any serious editing.  For instance why do you have Photoshop running all the time?  Turn off the webcam, turn off just about everything in the botttom blue part.  Get you processes down to about 30-40 essential items.  And as Harm has said turn off indexing.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 8. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                    cfsKC Level 1

Bill -

I have done as you have asked with regard to the Process Explorer, choosing to suspend rather than kill the processes, as shown below.

Project Explorer Post Test.jpg

BTW: I made this screen shot after re-running the test and the last blue item was added by Adobe as part of the test.

I also right clicked each hard drive, went to Properties and unchecked the boxes for compression and indexing. I further went to the Control Panel\Indexing Options\Advanced Options and made sure that nothing was checked there as well.

The Anti-virus program has been deleted from the system.

The memory allocation for AME/PR was not changed from default

I further went to Control Panel\Performance Advance Tools and checked the box for Visual Effects to set it to Adjust for Best Performance

I then re-ran the test with the following result

• Output-MPE: 368, 157, 46, 94, 71
                    • Output: 422, 157, 46, 94, 125

It would seem that we are not quite there yet . . .

Dan

• 9. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                      cfsKC Level 1

A further update:

I revisited Harm's Guide to installing and tuning a Vista 64 PC and carefully went thru the entire article to make those step by step which were not already made. I then re-ran the PPBM5 test once again with the following results:

Output-MPE: 129, 45, 96,   77 for a total of 347

Output:         129, 45, 96, 123 for a total of 393

Clearly, something continues to be wrong.

Harm? . . .  Bill? . . . Eric? . . .Anyone?

• 10. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dan, here is a current Process Explorer picture of one of my configurations.  One thing you could do is create another user account on your computer..  We had this situation (high Render Timeline with Hardware Accelerated MPE) before and in that case creating a new user account solved the problem but we were never able to backtrack to find the original problem.

Process-Explorer-SSD.jpg

• 11. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                          cfsKC Level 1

Bill -

Smiley clapping.gif

Thank you!

Creating a second user account did the trick. It also allowed me to see what I had done to reduce the effectiveness of Premiere Pro in the first place. I mistakenly added Microsoft Office and a couple of other programs to the new workstation in the belief that if I did not have them open when I used Premiere Pro their presence would not impact the program.  Wrong!

I set up the new account on the workstation with only those Adobe programs on the taskbar which I would use in conjunction with Premiere Pro. When I re-ran the PPBM5 test yet again the resutls were far better:

MPE ON:   130, 45, 95,   12  for a total of 282

MPE OFF: 130, 45, 95, 126   for a total of 396

Interestingly, when the computer service professional set up the workstation for me, we went through Harm's Guide, referred to above, step by step and the pro said that much of it could be ignored as unnecessary. Clearly,his unfamiliarity with Premiere Pro coupled with my own technical shortcomings were the source of the problem. I suspect that as I uninstall those programs on the workstation not specifically needed to utilize Premiere Pro, the performance will be even better.

• 12. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Out of curiosity, what is the size of your user profiles, the original one with the lousy MPE results, and the new profile, that gave you much more realistic results?

• 13. Re: New Workstation Yielding  Poor Performance . . . What's Wrong?
                              cfsKC Level 1

Harm -

The original profile was 35.9 GB, the new profile is 52.3MB.

Originally, I copied all of my Microsoft work files to the from my daily use computer to the original profile on my new workstation. As a result, that profile contains 6.58GB of Documents, 6.47GB of Music, 1.98GB of Pictures and 7.25GB of Videos.

The workstation has four 1TB hard drives in addition to the boot drive which containes my OS and Programs. Three of the four hard drives are used for Premiere Pro, the fourth is used for material used on my websites. If I transfer most of the 35.9GB from the original profile to my fourth hard drive would it improve the preformance of Premiere Pro on either or both profiles?