5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 4:37 AM by photosbyBernie RSS

Book Layout Software

photosbyBernie Community Member

I have been doing books using the Blurb on line product.  At this point I would like to graduate to a larger, higher volume 80 page photo book to market locally.  I have found a printer binder compamy that seems to be able to do the job and there reproductions are very good.  They indicate that the following software applications are considered disk ready for their platforms: QuarkXPress, InDesighCS4, Pagemaker 7, Adobe Illustrator CS4, Photoshop CS4, Micromedia Free Hand CX, and Microsoft Publisher. 

Can anyone suggest a preference form the list of supported software?  Keep in mind that I am not a pro so very expensive software is something I try to avoid.  I process all my photos using Elements 8. 

Any unbias advise will be appreciated. 

Bernie

• 1. Re: Book Layout Software
          99jon CommunityMVP

MS Publisher (now Microsoft Office Publisher) will give you quite good page layout and design features and it’s free; but only works on Windows.

• 2. Re: Book Layout Software

Thank you.  I will look at it.

Bernie

• 3. Re: Book Layout Software
              Barbara B. CommunityMVP

The industry standards these days are InDesign and QuarkXpress, with ID probably the most popular right now. Before you invest a lot of time in Publisher, talk to your printer about it.

• 4. Re: Book Layout Software

99jon,

I could only find the Publisher as a free trial for 60 days.  Then when

the down load was complete, I could not use the product without a

registration number which was not provided by the two sites offering the 60

free trial.  I will try some other sites to try to find one that will work

for me.  Even a trial period will let me know if I like the product.

Thanks,

spadab

• 5. Re: Book Layout Software
                  99jon CommunityMVP

You could take a look at Openoffice.org from Oracle which is also free. I often use it to turn my word processing documents into PDF files with photos.

The Writer module is a basic word processing and publishing program which can be used for creating books. Open Office is also compatible with many other leading software programs but you would need to check that your proposed publisher could use it before you start any detailed work.

It’s free to download and you can install all modules e.g. spreadsheets, database, drawing, presentations or just the module you want.

http://why.openoffice.org/