9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 2:55 PM by sixraccoons1

AE CS5 Crashes BEX64

sixraccoons1

Project file worked fine a few days ago, now it crashes when I open a folder inside the project pane.

------------------

Problem signature:
        Problem Event Name: BEX64 AfterFX.exe
        Application Name:
        Application Version: 10.0.1.19
        Application Timestamp: 4c785da6
        Fault Module Name: nvcpl.dll
        Fault Module Version: 8.17.12.5896
        Fault Module Timestamp: 4c378eca
        Exception Offset: 000000000029663c
        Exception Code: c0000417
        Exception Data: 0000000000000000
        OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
        Locale ID: 1033
        Additional Information 1: 368d
        Additional Information 2: 368dd4ff2f19f289c07d4232c1a06b1e
        Additional Information 3: 8829
        Additional Information 4: 88292da8367355164d11617eb59a658f

I see one other person has similar problem today.

Any clues?

Thanks, in advance

SYSTEM INFO:

-----------------------

Win 7 x64 Enterprise

32GB RAM

• 1. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It looks like the crash is in the NVIDA control panel. Try updating your video card drivers.

• 2. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Also, try deleting your preferences. See

this page for the location of the preferences folder to delete.
            • 3. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
              sixraccoons1 Level 1

I just deleted the preferences file, updated to latest nvidia driver for my CX card, rebooted, but the problem remains.

Any other ideas?

thank you & kindest regards.

• 4. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You said that the crash occurs when you open a folder? Any folder, or just one? If just one, what's in that folder?

• 5. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
                  sixraccoons1 Level 1

There are four folders that crash the program.

Each folder contains:

1) a previously rendered avi

2) a composition containing said avi, with effects (Boris FEC)

3) a photoshop file

I misspoke earlier.. To be more accurate, I actually am able to click the spinner and expand the folder, but as soon as I click on the composition contained within, it crashes. It makes no difference whether it is a single click, (merely giving the selection the focus), or a double click attempt to open the composition in the timeline - either mouse action results in an immediate and unceremonious crash (no Crash Reporter dialog).

To add to the mystery, I have found that I am able to access the offending compositions by double clicking said composition as they reside in a master composition timeline. It is only when I click on the individual compositions from within the Project Panel that AEcs5 crashes.

Thanks for your ideas on the matter. I'm stumped.

Kindest regards

• 6. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

to What CoDec was the AVI rendered? This strikes me as a typical case of AE trying to invoke hardware-accelerated decoding on specific compressed formats... I will not rule out the FEC plug-ins, though. In any case, try turning off OpenGL. Also enable caps-lock while sifting through the folder. This wil lprevent anything from being rendered (comp views and thumbnails) and should allow you to at least salvage the situation by opening the comps and disabling the effects or removing the offending footage from the project....

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
                      sixraccoons1 Level 1

Woohoo.

Many Thanks... the Caplocks trick worked perfectly and now allows me access to subordinate compositions.

I'm guessing here, but the problem is likely due to a conflict introduced by a recent AE patch and the BCC7 filters employed withing the offending compilations.

I say that because:

1) It worked prior, but not now.

2) When I uninstall Boris BCC7*, the crash is gone.

3) The referenced avi's are uncompressed, so there is no intermediate codec to worry about.

I have updated to BCC7.04 post crash event to see if that solved the problem, no joy.

I have also disabled my virus checker and Comodo program/buffer overflow guard, the crash remains.

I have updated my nvidia drivers, again, the crash remains.

As I can now access the compilations using the Capslock method, I can set about to rebuild. If I continue to have problems with BCC7 in AEcs5, I will notify the good folks over at Boris and I'm sure they will work with Adobe and address the problem with a forthcoming patch.

Mylenium, thank you, most sincerely, for your speedy and terrific assistance.

kindest regards,

six

---------------

* previously, I had stated I believed I had used Boris FEC in the compilation. Once I was able to open it using the Capslock trick, I saw that the effects employed were supplied via Boris BCC7, not Boris FEC.

• 8. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you saying that this problem only arose after you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update, but BCC7 was working OK before you applied the update to After Effects CS5?

• 9. Re: AE CS5 Crashes BEX64
                          sixraccoons1 Level 1

"Are you saying that this problem only arose after you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update, but BCC7 was working OK before you applied the update to After Effects CS5?"

Yes, the project had worked without incident in AEcs5 (10.0.0) and BCC7.0.

I have made a test project with an uncompressed video and applied BCC7 effects.

AEcs5 now crashes when I drop on a BCC7 Extruded Text effect.

I am sending Boris a note regarding same.

thank you,

& kindest regards,

six