18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 9:29 AM by Steve Grisetti

MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9

fjintl

I have a thumbnail problem. I just bought PrE9 because I was unhappy with Studio V14's slow/jerky performance with AVCHD.  I have a Canon HF20 and used Windows to move the videos (MTS's) over to my harddrive.  They are all HD videos in MTS format.  My PC is a Dell Pentium D, 3.46GHz, 4GB DDS RAM, 1GB of "free" harddisk space, ATI 4670 Graphics Card. 

I had imported a number of MTS files from my Canon to harddisk using Windows and then imported them from harddisk into Organizer.  The thumbnails were blank so I deleted them  and tried re-importing just one clip but got the same problem.  The clip can be inserted into a timeline and shows up with the first frame of the video but has a blank thumbnail in both Organizer and PRE.  They play fine in either PrE9 and Organizer.  Any suggestions.

• 1. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
          digitalreply

Can you please attach a screenshot of the behavior you are seeing.

Try re-importing the clips into PRE9. If the thumbnail still does not show, right-click on the thumbnail and select update.

Is the playback of the MTS clips fine ? If it is, then it is quite a strange behavior.

• 2. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed from Apple.com.

Then open an AVCHD project and import your clips into it. This will activate the AVCHD components in the program.

It also can make a difference sometimes how you get the video from your camcorder to your hard drive. If all you did was move the video clips from the cam to your drive using your operating system, you have not givent he program a chance to analyze or recognize them.

You should also use Premiere Elements Video Importer to import the video from your camcorder into your AVCHD project and your hard drive. This should generate your thumbnails.

• 3. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
              fjintl Level 1

Thanks for the quick response!  I had already tried re-importing with no luck.  I just tried right-clicking the thumbnail and updating but no change.  The playback of clip #4 is fine as you can see on the screen snip (notice the blank thumbnails on the right side; the preview window is showing clip #2 which I dragged down to the timeline; notice it displays fine even though the thumbnail is blank):

PrE9.JPG

I just created the above project with AVCHD Full 1080i specs which match the video I took and here is the Organizer screen snip that matches the above project:

organizer.JPG

and this is what my Windows 7 Explorer of the harddisk file containing the videos looks like:

explorer.JPG

But I may have made a break through ... I installed PrE9 on my Win-7 laptop (i7, 8GB RAM, 200GB "free" space) which has the same video files from my Canon videocam in the same file structure.  The PrE9 & Organizer on the laptop do NOT exhibit this blank thumbnail problem.  The ONLY difference in the implementation of PrE9 on both systems is the fact that the system with the problem had the free trial version of PrE9 downloaded first.  I then decided I liked the product and uninstalled the trial version.  Then I downloaded and installed the actual product (PrE9) with which I am having the blank thumbnail problem.  Does this help? 

• 4. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9

All it tells us that there's something on your computer that needs to be activated or updated.

Again, ensure that you've got the latest version of Quicktime.

EDIT--

I just checked your specs and I think we've got a couple of major issues!

Are you really trying to run this program on a 3 ghz Pentium D? I don't think that's nearly enough power. To edit AVCHD successfully, you really need a quad core or i7 processor.

Also, have you really only got 1 gig of free hard drive space on your C drive? You're going to need at least 20-30 just to open and run this program, and even that has to be defragmented. Otherwise, the program is going to constantly choke. (I'm actually surprised you've even got it to open.)

That may or may not entirely be what's at issue for you -- but it's definitely going to be a serious issue at some point.

• 5. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                  rdnelson Level 2

I have a thought as to what might be going on here...

Possibly the Organizer uses a CODEC to display the thumbnails and this CODEC is not on installed on the system?  I have no idea how to determine if this is true or not.  It would be strange that you an view and edit a clip and yet not be able to display the first frame of the clip.  But this all depends on the implementation.

• 6. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                    fjintl Level 1

Perhaps the Pentium D is inadequate but there is 500GB of free space on my C-drive and another 200GB of free space on a D-drive.  But the Preview window seems to have no problem previewing video nor the playback window viewing clips on the timeline (although this can sometimes be a little jerky).

• 7. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                      fjintl Level 1

I had also just downloaded and installed the latest QuickTime before installing PrE9.

• 8. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                        digitalreply Level 1

Thanks for posting the screenshots. Thumbnail drawing does not seem to be taking place at all.

I dont think it is a codec related problem because had that been the case the playback also wouldn't have worked.

There is another place the thumbnails are seen and that is the "Project" view. Can you check if the thumbnails are seen in this view ?

Also, on the system running Pentium D how much RAM do you have ? Adobe states a minimum of 2 GB RAM for avchd editing.

(Though I would recommend 3 or 4GB). And since on your other system which has 8GB RAM things appear to be fine, low RAM could be

a potential reason for thumbnails not being seen. Again, I am just speculating.

• 9. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9

I'm with you, digital. I just don't think fj has enough power to generate these thumbnails, unfortunately.

• 10. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                            fjintl Level 1

Thanks guys!  The desktop system I am having the problem on is a Dell XPS 600 running a Pentium-D 3.46GHz processor with 4GB of memory and hundreds of empty gigabytes of space on both my C and D drives.  There seems to be no problems, delays or other symptoms of insufficient horsepower occuring during startup or playback other than the blank thumbnails which I presume are passed on to PrE9 from the Get Media or Organizer modules.  Here is the screen shot of the project view:

project.JPG

I believe the black scene in the Sceneline is a title I created to overlay one of the adjacent clips which you see above as Title 03.  Finding titles on the Timeline is also a mystery to me.  Thanks again for the attention.

• 11. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9

You are in Sceneline mode, fj.

As I show you in my books and tutorials, you need to be in Timeline mode to fine-tune your titles.

Switch over the Timeline mode and you'll see your title as an trim-able, fade-able, adjustable clip.

• 12. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I like to think of the Sceneline View Mode as being like a lightbox with 35mm slides arranged on it. This is kind of like the Organizer, or doing a "storyboard" with little thumbnails or sketches of the scenes. Once the general arrangement has been done on this "lightbox," then switching to Timeline View Mode will get one to the place, where real editing is done.

Honestly, I do not recall ever even using Sceneline View Mode, but that is just me.

Hunt

• 13. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                                  fjintl Level 1

I have always used Timeline-mode in other products and will also do so with PrE9.  Thanks for the comments and 'yes' I just noticed the title on my Video 2 line.  Now if I can just get the thunbnails to show up in Organizer and the Organize-Media pane in PrE9, all will be ready to begin editing.

• 14. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                                    AbhiS2010

Can you just try one thing ? Delete the MTS file from the catalog and import it directly in PRE (not in Elements Organizer) . Does it works ?

• 15. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                                      fjintl Level 1

Deleted the clips from Organizer, started PrE9 up and used Get Media from the Organize tab to import the clips.  Magically all the clips were added WITH thumbnails.  THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I moved one down to the Timeline and it played fine.  Thanks again to everyone for their patience!

• 16. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                                        fjintl Level 1

Clips added under in PrE9 now display thumbnails but still do not show thumbnails in Organizer.  I can workaround that, now that I can see thumbnails in PrE9.

• 17. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9
                                          rdnelson Level 2

Does anyone with Organizer version 9 have difficulties displaying thumbnails for M2T files?  Version 7 did not display thumbnails, version 8 does.  I'm debating going to version 9 but will not if this feature was removed as I have hundreds of clips in this format.

• 18. Re: MTS thumbnails not displaying in PrE9

I don't have any problems seeing these thumbnails -- however, I always use Premiere Elements' Video Importer to add my video files from an AVCHD camcorder.