13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 5:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?

MissMoppett Level 1

I have just ordered the Prem 9 upgrade from 7 – I've skipped 8, you've all frightened me off – and am very much hoping that I will be able to open all my old projects, if necessary. (It's not unusual to work on one a year old: I can't be alone in that). I read somewhere in these forums that I should archive everything, which I am busy doing, but I think Steve said it still may not work. All my other programs happily convert, from wonderful WordPerfect downwards, so why not Prem? Should I (somehow) retain Prem 7 in case, or is this not feasible?

I am particularly hoping that I will be able to delete old projects from the Organiser list as this is a pain to have to winkle out via Windows Explorer.

• 1. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
          nealeh Level 5

You have touched on a contentious topic. Many recommend that you should always complete your project in the version with which you started it, while others have no problems opening in newer versions.

In your circumstances I recommend that you COPY your PRE7 project and open that in PRE9. This leaves your good PRE7 project untouched and safe to return to in the case of a disaster! If you have the disk space leave both installed (they coexist fine), if not uninstall PRE7 but don't lose your installation disk and serial number.

Remember also that PRE does not touch the original clip (except, as posted elsewhere, the annoying changes to the file date/time properties) so both projects (v7 & v9) will be looking at the same original clip. If you move the original clip you will need to point PRE to its new location.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
            John A Anthony Level 1

You can archive a project in PRE7 and then open the archived project in PRE9.

• 3. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
              MissMoppett Level 1

So already we have two different answers: good old Adobe. I'm grateful to both of you. Well we'll just have to suck it and see. (So what's new there then?).

PS Incidentally I see that Adobe have introduced a Mac version: don't they know that 99.9% of the media industry is on Final Cut and it would take a transplant to woo them off their beloved Macs?

• 4. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I vote for definitely NOT opening an old version project with a new version of the program. It almost always leads to buggy behavior. (But, if you want to risk it, be sure to save a copy of your version 7 project just in case.)

BTW, you do know that a great many professional Mac users are very happy to use Premiere CS4/CS5 rather than Final Cut, right? And there are a number of good reason for doing so.

• 5. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, unlike a wordprocessing project, there is a lot that goes into a video editing project.

The success of Opening an older Project in a newer version will likely depend on exactly what you have done in that older Project. Aspects, such as Themes, Instant Movie, some 3rd party Effects and Transitions, might not be available in the newer version. Also, some of the Effects and Transitions, that appear to be the same, might have been significantly altered. There are just a lot of variables.

Historically, Adobe NLE programs have done a pretty good job with forward compatibility of Projects. However, it is the variables that can spell success, or disaster. Without knowing every aspect of the older Projects, no one (at least not here) can guarantee that you will succeed. Everything might works perfectly, or maybe not.

As an example, I had to work on a large Project started in Pr 6.5 on a Mac. I was on a PC with PrPro 2.0 (4 generations later, and on a different platform). I was amazed how well those Projects Opened, with but 3 error messages regarding missing Transitions. PrPro was so kind as to tell me the exact missing Transitions' names, and the TimeCode, where they had been used. How neat was that? Just recently, one poster had a PrPro CS3 Project on the Mac, and could not Open, or Import it into PrPro CS5, also on a Mac. Why? Not sure, and no one was ever able to really help. That user found a person with CS4 on a Mac, Opened the CS3 Projects, and then did a Save_As, and the resulting Projects Opened in CS5 just fine. Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it does not.

Things get really convoluted if one has a Pr 6.5 (or earlier) Project from a PC and now has PrPro CS5 on a Mac. There is a way, but it is very involved, and the Mac user must befriend a PC-user, still running PrPro CS3 on the PC. Talk about "hands across the aisle."

That is why the "common wisdom" of finishing in the version, in which the Project was started, is offered so often.

One "fail-safe" workflow is to Export/Share from the older Project, and then Import that resultant AV file into a new Project in the new version. However, this will now be a complete AV file, and all the Clips, etc., will now be merged into but one file. When doing that, there are some major considerations of how best to handle it, and those decisions need to be made before the Export/Share. If you choose to go this route, ask for the considerations (quite a few), and I'll be glad to go into detail - basically two ways to approach things, and the choice will depend on what you have, what you have done and what you wish to do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                    MissMoppett Level 1

"What you wish to do?" Well, Bill. "Head" and "oven" spring to mind . . .

• 7. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now don't take it THAT seriously...

Remember, it might work perfectly and seamlessly, or maybe it will not. I would leave PrE 7 installed, and give a few of the Projects a test run. Just to be on the safe side, make a copy of the PREL's and work with those. PrE has safeguards, but you do not want to chance messing up your original Projects.

Good luck, and please report your success,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                        MissMoppett Level 1

Success? You'll see space rockets.

• 9. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, Neale might see them. You are in the UK are you not?

In the High Sonoran Desert of AZ, USA, I kinda' doubt that I'll see 'em, though we do have several observatories around here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                            nealeh Level 5

Under places of interest listed at Sonoran Desert - DesertUSA is Yuma Territorial Prison SHP

And that inlcudes:

Yuma Territorial Prison is a living museum  of the Old West. More than 3,000 desperadoes, convicted of crimes  ranging from polygamy to murder, were imprisoned in rock and adobe cells here during the prison's 33-year existence

Now imprisoning people with Adobe must be pure torture!!!

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, if it's the CS5 Master Collection on a very fast computer, life would not be all bad...

Hunt

PS - in these environs, adobe is very, very popular, as is Adobe.

• 12. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                                MissMoppett Level 1

Good news chaps. Have just installed my brand new out of the box Prem 9 and I can open  previous Prem 7 projects both from archived and de-trimmed files. The installation instructions say "Adobe recommends that you uninstall previous versions before . . . . however it's not necessaryif you don't want to." Good old Adobe: cover front and rear.

When I bring in old projects it goes through the malarky of "comforming" (bottom right blue progress meter) and no files are rendered so it runs jerkily at first, but so far so good.

Hope this  helps.

• 13. Re: Prem 9 upgrade: can open Prem 7 projects?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, the Conforming is for the Audio in your Assets. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck, and glad that the older Projects are working for you. The main areas, where some encounter issues, is with Themes, and Instant Movie, or with certain 3rd party Effects and Transitions, that might not be available in later versions.

Hunt