15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 2:40 AM by Efdewa RSS

Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top

dbonneville

If I'm working on a file in DW CS5, and switch to the browser on my Mac using the command-tab (or alt-tab on Windows) switcher and then back again, the file browser comes up from the back and covers the file I was working on.

The same thing happens if I click a browser from the tray, and then click back to DW CS5 again - the file browser pops up over the file I was working on.

I'm coming from every past version of DW through CS3 and this is a new very annoying behavior.

I have CS3 and CS5 both open, and I can replicate this. Doing this on CS3 acts as it should - the file I was working on stays focused when I come back but CS5 always pops the file browser on top.

This is very frustrating.

How can I stop this? Why does it do this by default when a decade of DW versions did not do this?

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
          Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

I don't use a Mac so I am just guessing based on what you are posting, but could it be a layout problem? Have you tested it using different DW UI layout presets?

Brad Lawryk

Adobe Community Professional: Dreamweaver

Northern British Columbia Adobe Usergroup: Manager

Thompson Rivers University: Dreamweaver Instructor

My Adobe Blog: http://blog.lawryk.com

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
            dbonneville Community Member

I have tried all the layouts and they all do the same thing. If you pop the file panel out, click the file you are editing on so it's foremost, then switch to any application by any means, when you come back to DW by any means, the file panel is on top. Whether you leave or come back to DW by means of alt-tab / command-tab, or dock icons, the file panel comes back on top.

This has to be the most disruptive maddening thing I've seen in DW in all the years since 1.0 since I've been using it, on both Mac and PC. It's the only editor I've ever used to any degree. This is really frustrating.

Why on earth should the application be deciding for me what I want to see in the foreground for windows? As I user, I'm supposed to make those decisions and they should be final, as they always have been in any application under the sun. Except DW CS5 now, in 2010.

How can I get in touch with Adobe engineers and talk this out?

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
              bemdesign Community Member

There are several ways to communicate this directly to Adobe

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html details the myriad of ways that you can contact Adobe

But perhaps the most productive method is by submitting a detailed bug report here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top

I just submitted a detailed bug report, but there isn't much satisfaction because you can't know for sure, for the effort, you are being heard.

For the money we pay for Adobe software, we'd should expect an acknowledgement for ALL bug reports.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                  acymru Community Member

I'm having the same issue.  It sure is annoying.  Did you ever sort it out?

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                    Douglas Bonneville

First, I got a lobotomy. That helped. After that wore off, I maximized the FTP window to the size of my screen and simply use the icon to pop back and forth. It occassionally gets out of sync with the properties panel on top of the FTP window at the bottom, but I can live with that. It's as close to being like the PC version as I can get it, and I'm in the PC version everyday.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                      macfreak@tampabay.rr.com

I have a similar issue - if I copy some text in Firefox or Safari and use "Command Tab" to hop back to Dreamweaver (CS5 version 11 build 4993) in code view it will paste the copied text  into the code after a closed TAG. Very annoying!! Never had a problem until CS5.

Anybody else experiencing this?

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top

Hey macfreak. I guess you and I got the only copies of DW CS5 on Mac that have this issue

Seriously - maybe nobody else uses it. The UI on the Mac is so bad I get a little angry every single time I open it.

The file view is utterly maddening. I had to change how I work to accomodate this utterly goofy and annoying oversite.

I can't think of another program I've *ever* used, ever, that decided to change its layout state when leaving and coming back to it. It's truly a first.

The sloppiness and lack of QA in CS5 is astounding. It's a big fat BETA. I'm still so annoyed. I wish Adobe would respond to this thread. Even more so I wish they'd release a patch.

And in CS6 I hope they get rid of Flash from the UI and go back to native UI per OS.

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                          macfreak@tampabay.rr.com Community Member

Just curious - what are your system specs & are you running any 3rd pary extensions?

Maybe something wacky is happening because of an extension or machine configurations?

Imac Specs:

-----------------------------------------

My machine specs:

MAC OSX version 10.6.7

Model Name:    iMac (27" with 8 terabytes)
                            Model Identifier:    iMac11,1
                            Processor Name:    Intel Core i7
                            Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz
                            Number Of Processors:    1
                            Total Number Of Cores:    4
                            L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
                            L3 Cache:    8 MB
                            Memory:    12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
                            Processor Interconnect Speed:    4.8 GT/s
                            Boot ROM Version:    IM111.0034.B02

SMC Version (system):    1.54f36

I am also running:
                          Suitcase Fusion 3 - Version 14.0.5 (162)

-----------------------------------------

3rd Party Extensions running:

DREAMWEAVER HTML5 PACK

Mail Spam Blocker

ADOBE AIR Extension for Dreamweaver

The mouse that I am using the newly designed wireless Apple mouse and wireless mini keyboard

Something is causing this.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                            chrisibrow

I'm getting the same behaviour after an upgrade - any answers please?

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                              AllDayDev Employee Hosts

Hi chrisibrow,

I'm trying to reproduce the problem so it can be further investigated, but so far I have not been able to do so. I tried switching between apps using CMD+Tab and also by clicking on the application icon in the Dock.

I assume you have the Files panel undocked, and also in its "expanded" mode. Is that correct?

Can you give me a step-by-step of what you're doing when the issue occurs?

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                                chrisibrow Community Member

Hi Carey,

Thanks for responding.

Mac OS 10.8.2

Dreamweaver 12

The problem is not about switching between apps. The problem is the inability to have a dreamweaver document (.html, .css etc) sit in front of the dreamweaver Files pane. The Files pane always sits on top. This really slows me down when working on large sites.

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                                  AllDayDev Employee Hosts

Ah, OK. All panels will float on top of the document window.

There are two options I could see working well to solve this for you.

With the first. you would need to turn off the Application Frame (uncheck it under the Window menu), undock the Files panel, and then put the panel in its expanded view (click the icon labeled "M" here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/dreamweaver/cs/using/WSc78c5058ca073340dcda9110b1f693f21-7ed0a .html).

In this mode, it will sit behind the document, and when you need it you could go to Window > Files (or use a keyboard shortcut -- the default is the F8 key) or minimize/close the document.

Alternatively, you could just go to Window > Files (or use the keyboard shortcut) to open and close the panel as needed.

Hope that helps.

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                                    chrisibrow Community Member

Thank you Carey the first option worked perfectly for me

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 file view always pops up on top
                                      Efdewa

I work on a Mac and have the same problem which is not solved with the above. I am used to work with the Files panel undocked and expanded and I switch between the documents and the Files panel with Cmnd+Shift+F. This works from document to panel Files but no more the other way. Plus that it not always works, I can't see any logic in the circumstances when I cannot switch from document to panel Files with the shortcuts, but this regulary happens. Another thing that happens is that I open a document from the Files panel and it does not show but instead stays covered with the Files panel. Most of the time I can avoid all this by using the expand/collapse icon but not always (again the inconsequent behavior), plus that I prefer using the shortcut instead.

This problem is not something special on my computer, same thing happens on other Mac's with a complete different configuration that I work on with my students. With CS6 something has changed in the behavior of the Files panel and this is very annoying. I hope Adobe takes this serious and comes with a solution. Looking very much forward to your reply!