4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 12:19 AM by Harm Millaard

Is this a good build for CS4 machine?

APT HD Level 1

I am currently shooting mostly in HDV and have been operating on a  Toshiba Laptop. Will the configuration below run smoothly and eventually  allow me to upgrade to CS5? Or  am I better off with i7 980xtremes?

Processor:Dual Intel Xeon E5620 Westmere
      Motherboard: Asus Z8NA-D6C
      Video Card: PNY Quadro FX 1800
      12GB DDR3 Memory
      Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB x 2
      Hard Drive: Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB x 2
      Power Supply: Corsair 1000 Watt
      Cooling Corsair H50 x2

• 1. Re: Is this a good build for CS4 machine?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, go to the Premiere Pro CS5 Benchmark Test http://ppbm5.com/ and view the results to see where various hardware configurations fall

2nd, to buy ready made...

Desktop Video Editing PC http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is this a good build for CS4 machine?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You will be better off with a single i7-980X or even an i7-970 than dual E5620's. You can save on mobo and memory and additionally save on a GTX 470 instead of a Quadro 1800 and spend the saved amount on faster memory or more disks.

Look at some posts here about systems and have a look at PPBM5 Benchmark to see what makes a fast system.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is this a good build for CS4 machine?
              APT HD Level 1

Harm,

Thanks very much for your reply. I am a bit confused here (in case you couldn't tell). The PPBM is a helpful guide, I guess that I still  need that translated into "what's in it for mese". My desire is to have a solid edit machine that can concurrently run PR, AE, PS at the same time and render relatively quickly. My budget is under 4k. The playback on my laptop (current edit system) is clunky for more than a :30 commercial in HDV. Just for giggles I ran the PPBM on my CS4 laptop and the timelines took more than 20 mins each to render.

• 4. Re: Is this a good build for CS4 machine?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

With that desire to run AE, PR and PS concurrently, I would definitely opt for either the 970 or 980X but also go for 24 GB DDR3-1600 memory. If you are getting over budget, then at least choose 3 x 4 GB as a minimum, so you can add 3 more sticks at a later date. You may need some more disks, but OTOH a GTX 470 is quite enough.

Very rough calculation:

1. 980X $ 1000

2. Mobo $ 300

3. 24 GB $ 1000

4. PSU $ 300

5. GTX 470 $ 400

6. 5 x 1 TB disks $ 300

7. Case $ 200

Approximately $ 3500 plus miscellaneous and you remain within budget.