3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2007 2:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flash Debug Player Issues

gmitchell7
      Hi,

I am fairly new to Adobe Flash although I do have an extensive background in software and database design. I have recently started to learn and use ActionScript (working with version 2.0 not 3.0 yet) and have just become aware of the use of the Flash Debug Player. It is an indispensable tool in my view. However, I do have one problem with it which may be the result of a lack of knowledge. I recently ran it with a fairly extensive and complex Flash movie. The movie was developed by a very accomplished graphics guy who knows a great deal about the graphics aspects of Flash but doesn’t get into ActionScript much. Also parts of this movie are purchased components. I got a lot of warnings that perplex me. Things like “addEventListener is not a function” and “broadcastMessage” is not a function. When I open the fla file in the Flash IDE and search for these I find nothing. Furthermore these appear to be Adobe Flash supplied functions and are documented in the Flash help system. What is going on here?

Any help understanding this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
      G. M.
        • 1. Re: Flash Debug Player Issues
          Level 7
          Hi gmitchell7,

Flash is a tricky beast when it comes to nested code. With Flash CS 3
          (ActionScript 3.0), typically these instructions would be found in
          external AS files. This would be the first place to look for both Flash
          8 and Flash CS 3 source code. Great programs like FlashDevelop or SEPY
          allow you to recursively search through subdirectories for occurances of
          these strings. Just point them at the root directory and let them go.

Also, within Flash, things can be hidden on library items and in a
          variety of places that are not visible on the main timeline. Select
          "Edit->Find and Replace" and search for the text in the current
          document. It may be on a library item, on a button or movie clip, or in
          a whole bunch of other places that may be tough to find by hand.

Regarding the errors, it may be that you're trying to mic up
          incompatible ActoinScript versions. "addEventListener" is a function,
          but in ActionScript 3.0 requires that you import a number of packages
          (or classes) so that Flash knows that it's a function. Check the publish
          settings for the FLA and if there are any associated AS files, check to
          see if you can find keywords like "package", "protected", "int", and
          "final". These weren't available in Flash 8 (ActionScript 2.0) so you
          may be trying to push a square peg into a round hold (AS3.0 components
          into an AS2.0 FLA).

Good luck,
          Patrick

gmitchell7 wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am fairly new to Adobe Flash although I do have an extensive background in
          > software and database design. I have recently started to learn and use
          > ActionScript (working with version 2.0 not 3.0 yet) and have just become aware
          > of the use of the Flash Debug Player. It is an indispensable tool in my view.
          > However, I do have one problem with it which may be the result of a lack of
          > knowledge. I recently ran it with a fairly extensive and complex Flash movie.
          > The movie was developed by a very accomplished graphics guy who knows a great
          > deal about the graphics aspects of Flash but doesn?t get into ActionScript
          > much. Also parts of this movie are purchased components. I got a lot of
          > warnings that perplex me. Things like ?addEventListener is not a function? and
          > ?broadcastMessage? is not a function. When I open the fla file in the Flash IDE
          > and search for these I find nothing. Furthermore these appear to be Adobe Flash
          > supplied functions and are documented in the Flash help system. What is going
          > on here?
          >
          > Any help understanding this issue would be most appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > G. M.
          >

--
          http://www.baynewmedia.com
          Faster, easier, better...ActionScript development taken to new heights.
          Download the BNMAPI today. You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
          Available for ActionScript 2.0/3.0.
          • 2. Re: Flash Debug Player Issues
            gmitchell7 Level 1
            Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply. I’ll definitely check out FlashDevelop and SEPY and look into the possibility of an AS2/AS3 issue.
            • 3. Re: Flash Debug Player Issues
              Level 7
              It's in there somewhere. It's just a matter of where.

Patrick

gmitchell7 wrote:
              > Hi Patrick,
              >
              > Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply. I?ll definitely check out FlashDevelop and SEPY and look into the possibility of an AS2/AS3 issue.

--
              http://www.baynewmedia.com
              Faster, easier, better...ActionScript development taken to new heights.
              Download the BNMAPI today. You'll wonder how you ever did without it!
              Available for ActionScript 2.0/3.0.