4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2010 7:45 PM by pwillener

Tired of Deleting Adobe Reader and the add-ons

CelticBeauty

I use Flash and Shockwave for my games, but I never use Adobe Reader and resent the fact that you continually not only add it as a package with Flash and/or Shockwave along with Macafee, but you make it so hard to delete it.  I use Fox Reader from Mozilla now. 

I absolutely do not like it that you have no way to hear/read complaints, so I'm unable to call a person or send an email about them and have to post them to a forum where it won't do any good anyway.   BUT I guess that's the point, isn't it.  If you don't get complaints, you obviously don't have any one complaining.  Not too smart, Adobe.

Also, I resent the fact that I waste a total of an hour or more tracking down your blasted HKEY crap to take off the stuff I don't want as the Find doesn't work to find it.  Really a time waster...however, to get rid of Macafee and Reader is better than keeping it, no matter how much time it takes.

With all the Bugs you guys/gals have in your products anyway (not to mention the vulnerabilities to hackers, Trojan Horses, and Viruses), I would love to find another way to play the online games I so enjoy if only someone would make a competitive product to do so, so we could leave Adobe forever!!!!!

You can take this down if you want, but there are other people as ticked off as I am about your shady business practices.

CelticBeauty

• 1. Re: Tired of Deleting Adobe Reader and the add-ons
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reader does not come with Flash Player so it's hard to say why you have it. I can't think of any place on the Adobe site where Reader is an opt-out choice. Can you show us where this keeps happening?

As far as McCaffee yes, it IS automatically checked by default in a few places. You can uncheck it if you like.

I definitely do not agree to the opt-out option. Like you, I believe it is bad practice.

But again, can you can show us where Reader is automatically downloaded? I've never heard of that from anyone.

• 2. Re: Tired of Deleting Adobe Reader and the add-ons
            CelticBeauty Level 1

I got a message to download the latest version of the Flash Player.  I play

a lot of online- and PC-based games, I clicked it to download.  When I

looked at my desktop, I had the Flash Player as well as Adobe Reader.  Even

my husband doesn't understand why it happened, so he agrees with you.

Granted it could have been a glitch, but I'm only computer literate enough

to get myself into trouble in terms of programs.  I can do tons of stuff on

MS products and have Suns Office Suite...but for why things happen...I

haven't the foggiest idea.  If it happens again, I'll let you know, but to

the best of my knowledge, that's all I did..click Flash download from a

popup window (which I've done before with no problems).

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Sincerely,

Jeane Doyle

• 3. Re: Tired of Deleting Adobe Reader and the add-ons
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CelticBeauty wrote:

If it happens again, I'll let you know, but to

the best of my knowledge, that's all I did..click Flash download from a

popup window (which I've done before with no problems).

Sincerely,

Jeane Doyle

Please do. Also, pay attention to the address where the download is coming from. If you were prompted by a website pop-up, it's probably not Adobe doing it. It could be something specific to some site but it would be nice to have the address of that download if you can get it.

Good luck.

• 4. Re: Tired of Deleting Adobe Reader and the add-ons
                pwillener Level 8

CelticBeauty wrote:

I use Flash and Shockwave for my games, but I never use Adobe Reader and resent the fact that you continually not only add it as a package with Flash and/or Shockwave along with Macafee, but you make it so hard to delete it.

Not only is this not true, it is simply not possible!

• Flash Player installer size (Windows, plugin): 2,760KB
                • Shockwave installer size (full): 9,166KB
                • Adobe Reader installer: 42,400KB

There absolutely no way that a 42MB installer can be hidden in a 2MB or 9MB installer.

As for the McAfee crap, either uncheck it before downloading, or use the executable installers from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

CelticBeauty wrote:

I use Fox Reader from Mozilla now.

If you mean Foxit Reader, I think the Mozilla people would resent it that you attribute it to them.  That reader installs spyware on your computer, whether you uncheck it or not.  (This may no longer be true, but it did when I installed version 1.x on my system.)