19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2014 3:54 PM by chrislively2 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

wcapehart Community Member

Ok, I'm at my wits end on this one.  I've installed and reinstalled this CS2 suite multiple times, tried to find the proper registry keys, pretty much anything i can think of to get this to work, but every time I go to boot up one of the programs in the suite (such as Photoshop) I get an error stating "Your Adobe Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid.  The application cannot continue and must now exit".  There is only an OK box, and absolutely no way for me to look at the licensing information to see what it's getting hung up on.

I've confirmed everything is correct upon installation.  I can't find an e-mail address for Adobe's customer support so I'm asking you guys - what the hell is going on with this software?  Anyone fix this before?

• 1. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
          BobLevine UGM

CS2 is totally unsupported under Windows 7 and Windows Vista and the fact that it's 64 bit adds to the complication. That said you can read through this. It mentions XP64 but the idea is the same:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/325/325739.html

You should also note that CS2 is the earliest version eligible for upgrade pricing. After this you're looking at paying full price.

Time to consider an upgrade because even if you get past this hiccup, you're going to be looking at all kinds potential problems with compatibility.

Good luck,

Bob

• 2. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

I've tried the solution you linked to me several times but it doesn't work.

Why is the CS2 suite having trouble yet I'm able to install a stand alone copy of Photoshop CS2 that we have just fine on our W7x64 computers?  This error message sounds like a bug in Adobe's programming regarding the license code to me.  Where would this licensing information be stored on the computer?  I've checked the registry but couldn't locate a key but I may have looked in the wrong spot.

• 3. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
              BobLevine UGM

There's no bug. CS2 was released well before the advent of Windows 7 and 64 bit operating systems. You're trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

Are you sure the programs didn't get installed into the program files folder instead of the program files (x86) folder?

Bob

• 4. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

huh?  that's just...laughable.  I guess that's why every other program I have, some dating all the way back to the mid to late 90's, work flawlessly on Windows 7 x64...

Yes, I made sure that the programs were installed in the Program Files (x64) folder.  Upon first boot the updater launched and everything updated fine as well.  The issue only occurs when you launch a program, and it yells at you about the serial code.

• 5. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                  BobLevine UGM

But did you install it as was required specifying the old 8.3 directory structure? If not, you didn't read the KB article.

If you did, I'm out of ideas. This why it's not supported.

Bob

• 6. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

Where in the article you linked does it say anything about an 8.3 directory structure?  What exactly is that referring to?

What I did was remove the suite completely, attempted to reinstall it, tried installing to C:\Progra~2\Adobe as per the article mentions - however regardless of how much Adobe insists that the installer will accept this path it still yells about having invalid characters so what I had to do was simply delete the parentheses in the file path.  You would think Adobe would simply patch the installer to allow for those characters if that's where the bulk of these problems are getting hung up...

You can't just stop supporting a product that's really not that old that many people still use just because you don't feel like it and want to sell more expensive versions that seem to come out almost every year now... "this is why it's not supported" isn't an acceptable excuse - that's just saying "but supporting our products is haaarrrrd" and trying to wipe your hands of it...

From what I can see there should really be no reason that this isn't working - especially when components of this suite work fine when I install them from their stand alone versions.  It appears that the main trouble is the x64 bit architecture, but considering XPx64 was released almost immediately after CS2 was launched, one would think Adobe would have gotten off of their butts and worked on some patches and fixes for this stuff...  The complete and total lack of support on this product is really quite dumbfounding.  I've never seen something that wasn't freeware or shareware have such little support - especially for what is supposed to be professional high end software.

Even if my only solution is to buy the new version - why would I do that if Adobe simply drops their products entirely in favor of trying to make a new version for you to pay for as the only technical support offered?  This isn't very encouraging.

• 7. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                      BobLevine UGM

Progra~2 is an 8.3 format.

You can't just stop supporting a product that's really not that old that many people still use just because you don't feel like it and want to sell more expensive versions that seem to come out almost every year now... "this is why it's not supported" isn't an acceptable excuse - that's just saying "but supporting our products is haaarrrrd" and trying to wipe your hands of it...

Let's get something straight here. I don't work for Adobe and I don't care one way or the other if you upgrade. But it is what it is. You are attempting to install an OLD program in a NEW operating system.

The complete and total lack of support on this product is really quite dumbfounding.  I've never seen something that wasn't freeware or shareware have such little support - especially for what is supposed to be professional high end software

And it works on the systems that it was designed to work on...Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 2000.

Even if my only solution is to buy the new version - why would I do that if Adobe simply drops their products entirely in favor of trying to make a new version for you to pay for as the only technical support offered?  This isn't very encouraging.

It is what it is. As I said, this is your last chance to get upgrade pricing. You can save a few extra bucks at Amazon: http://amzn.to/cE0Gbe

I'm sorry, but I have nothing else to offer you.

Bob

• 8. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

The software is only 5 years old and was released when x64 was made available...there's no reason that it shouldn't be supported.

I don't think I can trust Adobe's business practices anymore.  I can't believe this is even legal.

• 9. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                          BobLevine UGM

Have it your way but the advice stands. Roll back to XP32 or upgrade to CS5.

This is why MS has an upgrade advisor for Win 7. You'll like find the advice to not run CS2 on Win 7.

And please...5 years in computer terms is an eternity. CS2 is simply not designed to run on any current operating system be it Mac or Windows.

You're three versions out of date and a new version is released every 18 months just like clockwork. We're already 5 months into this cycle.

Sorry, but I have absolutely nothing else to offer you.

Bob

• 10. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?

For software that costs this much, 5 years should be enough time for us to maybe JUST be getting CS3 last year or this year.  Adobe should support and patch their expensive products, not just release one yearly and swear off everything that came before it.

Shady business.

And I've yet to hear explanation as to why Photoshop CS2  disc works but the CS2 suite does not.  There is a blatant bug in their programming with the installer.

• 11. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                              BobLevine UGM

Like I said, I'm sorry, but I've given you the best advice I have.

There's nothing shady about it. It's not like it's a secret that the upgrades are coming. Upgrading Design Premium cost $599 every 18 months. That's less than the cost of a cup of coffee every day, hardly what I'd call expensive.

Nobody's got a gun to your head to spend it, either. But software is designed to be run on a platform that it can be tested on and for CS2 that was XP and Win 2K. FWIW, CS3, CS4 and CS5 all run nicely on Win 7 64 bit. And again, I will remind you that this is your last chance to get upgrade pricing.

Bob

• 12. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                LadyAtarah Community Member

During installation put c:\progra~2\adobe instead of c:\program files\adobe. This worked for me for both Vista and Windows 7. Hope it helps you!

• 13. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                  TaoOfJustin Community Member

I know this is a really old thread, but I recently had this issue. 

I installed CS2 on win7x64 into a different location than the normal, specifically the "Program Files" folder, not the "Program Files(x86)" folder and I received this error.

I reinstalled it this way a couple times to no avail.  I found the fix above to work for me, using the downloaded CS2 suite.  NO other fix would work for me, aside from installing photoshop as a standalone, not the CS2 version.

FIX: on the install location, put in:  c:\progra~2\adobe

• 14. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                    siramirsaman Community Member

I solved the problem by this:

1. Un-install every thing.

2. Before running the Set-up, right click on the Setup.exe file and choose Properties, then under compatibility tab, set it to "windows XP" like this:

Untitled.png

3. In installation, change the installation destination folder to C:\Adobe\

• 16. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                      exShopper Community Member

ouch! My computer died and I had to get a new one. I purchased the CS2 suite for 1500 pounds (over $3000 back then). I purchased it! I didn't rent it, lease it, borrow it. I bought it! It was a very expensive choice but I justified it by thinking it would last me for years. What a slap in the face. I have been a very strong advocate of Photoshop for years and this feels like a very bad betrayal. I agree totally with wcapehart and I know Bob thinks he is helping by saying biased positive things about Adobe (says not an employee... hmmm). I work in IT. I have never screwed my clients like this!. Don't charge $3000 and expect people to be happy that you don't support YOUR product that people BOUGHT for less than 5 years!! Kind-of like buying a car that works fine for several years and then one day just doesn't turn on. You can't sell it, can't trade it in. It just stops working. Worse still, you don't know until it stops working. Then you contact the manufacturer and they say "oh yeah we didn't want your car that you bought to work any more so we stopped it and now we expect you to buy another expensive model that we will stop supporting whenever it suits us".

http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

Years ago I used Paint Shop Pro. It was on a level par with Photoshop but because I do web design and I could get it bundled with CS2 I changed to photoshop. Clearly a mistake. I just saw that not only can you not upgrade from CS2 now but they want a monthly fee and a ridiculous price at that. Sorry Adobe. It isn't worth it any more. Hope you go broke now. You got so big you have now turned your back on the people who got you here. I am so disappointed. I actually tried to upgrade until I see they want me to pay full price again and monthly rental!

http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/trial-thank-you.html?dwn=thankyou-ps p

Paint Shop Pro trial has been downloaded. See you later. Thanks for nothing! I feel so horribly betrayed!

• 17. Re: Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

@exshopper

A few quick items:

(1)     I genuinely hope you find satisfaction with PaintShop Pro and that it meets your needs, whatever they are.

(2)     Bob Levine is not and has never been an employee of Adobe Systems Incorporated. He does speak his mind and certainly lets Adobe know when our products and policies need improvement. Without attempting to put words in his mouth, I think you may be objecting to the fact that he does understand the needs of software developers in terms of marketing and supporting their products and the value of same to customers. He does rightly point out that the monthly subscription costs for the tools they use to earn their living usually amount to far less expenditure than many if not most creative professionals spend each day on their favorite beverages. There is still a major failure of many computer users to comprehend the cost of development and support of software simply because software isn't “tangible” in the way computers, printers, and other peripherals are.

(3)     When you refer to purchasing “the CS2 suite for 1500 pounds (over $3000 back then)” I assume that you are referring to the Creative Suite 2 Premium which included every creative product that Adobe had at the time including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, GoLive, Version Cue, Bridge, Acrobat, etc. The “back then” was early 2005, nearly a decade which is an awful long time in this industry. If you “bought” the product more recently than eight years ago, much less five years ago, you already were purchasing something that was no longer current. And you certainly could not have purchased it from Adobe.

(4)     I am sorry to read that your “computer died.” Was that computer nine years old? To be consistent with your expectations of Adobe, hopefully you expected your computer's manufacturer to continue to support that computer with a free or reduced cost repairs and/or replacement because you spent so much money on that computer. And of course you expected that new computer would run the exact same OS as your dead computer and support all your old peripherals including SCSI drives, diskettes, etc.

(5)     Whether you or even I like it or not, the subscription model better reflects the reality of development, distribution, and support of software. Under the previous “perpetual license” scheme, you paid for a license to use the software for perpetuity on the hardware and software (i.e., OS) platforms for which it was developed and tested, nothing more. Unfortunately, the expectations of many of our customers was that somehow Adobe would provide free updates to their current program versions to provide support for future incompatible hardware and operating system platforms. However, that is a totally untenable business model. In contrast, many high end software applications (not graphic arts applications) not only charge for a license, but have a requirement for payment of either a monthly or annual maintenance contract which cover most such hardware/OS upwards incompatibility contingencies. The subscription model currently in-place basically eliminates the up-front licensing and a maintenance contract with a simple monthly fee that provides access to all updates and upgrades. It is fairly clear and simple.

(6)     In terms of your costs over time, you didn't indicate which aspects of “CS2 suite” you were using, but given your apparent emphasis on image editing, Adobe does offer a very attractive subscription that includes both Lightroom and Photoshop.  Even if you don't use Lightroom at all, it is still a great price even just for Photoshop.

- Dov

• 18. Re: Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                          exShopper Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

1. me too. Looks good so far. Has everything I need and will cost under $100 - that isnt per yearly subcription. That is as long as I want to use it. It also comes as 32bit and 64bit in the same download so it will work on the majority of computers both now and in the future. Paint Shop Pro does what you can't. Gives the users what they want.

2. I understand the needs of software developers too. I am one. That is why I know what to expect when software is this expensive. If a $100 piece of software stops working... ok. But this is a different scale. I can no longer trust Adobe to step up to the plate. Your products are dying.

3. Correct. I purchased CS2 Premium. I am not going to argue the point with you. I am just going elsewhere.

4. My computer that broke was a laptop. So was the one before it. Was running vista and it worked fine there. Computers dont last 9 years (not me anyway because they get so much use) but that doesnt mean I use Photoshop every day. If I add it up it per use it is ridiculously expensive compared to other software. I am happy to now support other vendors so there is more competition on the market and stop you profiteering with no customer support.

5. You said it..."the subscription model better reflects the reality of development, distribution, and support" although you don't support your products so really it is just the development and distribution. Both of those are all about you. If you have bad and inefficient business practice, dont penalise your clients. They go elsewhere...heres proof. I will no longer respond or listen. I am done with Adobe. Thanks for the lack of support. Don't bother responding. There is nothing you can say to make me happy now that you have killed my product through lack of support. Glad to see that Macromedia Flash is being killed off by HTML5. Now bring on someone like google to finish off Photoshop. Then you can look back at posts like these and think "if only we'd listened and/or cared"

• 19. Re: cs2/Windows 7x64 - User name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid?
                                            chrislively2 Community Member

This is another confirmation that using c:\progra~2\adobe as the installation path on a Windows 7 x64 computer works perfectly.  You don't need to set the compatibility settings as siramirsaman indicated above; just use that path instead of the default one.