5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 11:25 AM by kglad

Problem with Shape Hints

Inoculated

My professor and I are both stumped, so maybe someone can help me out?

I'm using Flash CS4 (on a mac) and I'm trying to use shape tweens between two parallelograms. They are shapes and not symbols, since I hear you can't shape tween symbols.

The transition is sometimes funky, so I try using shape hints to keep it from tangling. Sometimes they all work perfectly fine, sometimes only 1-2 points cooperate, and sometimes Flash ignores them altogether.

They are snapped to the appropriate vertices, they're in the right order, and they're the right colors to signify they've been placed properly (none are red). I also started with "a" as the top left and placed them counterclockwise, which the Adobe tutorial said to do. I've consulted a dozen or so other tutorials and none of them address this problem. I don't think it's the computer - I've tried it on my laptop and several of the desktops in the design labs and ran into the same problem.

Is anyone good with shape hints that can tell me what I'm missing?

• 1. Re: Problem with Shape Hints
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

apply your shape hints in pairs:  apply a start hint in your start frame.  then apply the corresponding end hint in your end frame.  test to make sure that works.  then add your 2nd start hint and 2nd end hint.  test.  etc.

• 2. Re: Problem with Shape Hints
            Inoculated Level 1

I've been trying that too, with no luck. Thank you though :B

I've also tried rearranging the hints after the fact to account for any tangling but it either tangles it differently or does absolutely nothing.

• 3. Re: Problem with Shape Hints

start over and follow the directions i gave.  it's fool-proof.

if you try and take a short-cut or use some of your current shape hints because they seem to be working, you're more likely to hit a problem.

• 4. Re: Problem with Shape Hints
                Inoculated Level 1

I've been trying it and Flash is being consistently inconsistent. I'm doing the same thing to dozens and dozens of squares and still can't find any rhyme or reason, it just works some times and not others. I thought it might have to do with the top left corners being moved to the not-top-left, but when I adjusted that it only worked for a few things. I'm just gonna accept defeat, I'm just surprised that I've got the same problem on every computer I try but can't find anyone else experiencing it.

• 5. Re: Problem with Shape Hints

you must be doing something wrong.

if you create an image that shows what point of the start-tween should tween to what point of the end-tween, i'll create it for you.  i'm not sure that will help you but if you think it might, create that image.