2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2007 2:11 PM by axanthus

really simple button question

axanthus
      Hello, I'm hoping someone will help me out with this issue. I've looked around and can't quite find what I'm looking for. I have a button within a movie clip, and I would like to have some sort of script that causes the movie clip to gotoandplay a certain frame if the user clicks anywhere outside of the button. The closest I came was using on releaseoutside, but this only seems to work if they first click inside the button, and then drag and release outside. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
        • 1. Re: really simple button question
          edgarTL
          If you were to place a large invisible button also inside the MC, but on a layer lower than your original button - it should do the trick.

An invisible button is a button that exists "only as a hit" - think of it as a hotspot or slice. This surrounding, Much Larger invisible button could have it's own gotoAndPlay(someFrame) when a release occurs.

Hope that helps
          • 2. really simple button question
            axanthus Level 1
            Thank you, but I actually already tried exactly that. The problem with it is that I have other buttons and text links above the button in question, but outside of the button area itself. So, when I click any of the other buttons it doesn't register as a hit on the lower button that I'm trying to manipulate.

The webiste is for an art gallery. The issue that I'm having is there is a large "upcoming exhibit" button on the homage page that consists of a large image of some artwork. When I click any of the other navigation buttons on the page, they just overlay the new content on top of the artwork picture, and the artwork picture shows through. So, what I really want is for the artwork button MC to move to a frame that fades out the artwork picture when any other link is clicked on the page. This way, when the other content is layed on top you won't see the artwork image showing through. This is a template my client requested I use, and I'm not too happy with it.