6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2010 2:48 PM by jpp 38

External hard drive with Pre 9

jpp 38

Hi,  I would like to back up video from my Sony XR-550 camera to a Lacie external hard drive and than import it to Pre 9.. It appears that in doing so, the camera formats the drive  in the FAT32 file system rather than NTFS.  I don't think there is another choice. Is it going to be a problem to import the files from the external drive to Pre 9? I have just ordered the program and am trying to understand the workflow with backed up video.  Thanks for your help. 

• 1. Re: External hard drive with Pre 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, the camera probably has its flash memory cards formatted as FAT-32. Most external HDD's ship as FAT-32, as that covers the most bases, especially the Mac's. You can Convert your Lacie to NTSF, and I cannot believe that the camera will change that. This ARTICLE will give you tips on Convert.

For archiving, any connection for the external is fine, but if you are editing to/from, I would suggest FW-800, or eSATA for the connection type.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: External hard drive with Pre 9
            jpp 38 Level 1

Thanks, Bill for your help.   The Lacie drive that I was coping raw video to was formatted in NTFS from my computer with windows XP. When my Sony XR-550 camera is connected to the external hard drive it requires the drive to be formatted again. It also states in the camera manual that the format will be Fat32. The video gets copied with no problems but is in Fat32. My question again is can this video be brought into Pre 9 to edit? I mainly shoot underwater video and would like to back up the footage each day on a trip so that if something bad happens  to the camera underwater some video is backed up and can be edited. Otherwise I would import the video directly from the camera. I am trying to understand if this workflow is viable.  Thanks, John

• 3. Re: External hard drive with Pre 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I can understand the flash memory cards for the camera being formatted FAT-32 (the norm, and the reason for the ~ 4GB file size limit), but do not understand why the Lacie would need to also be formatted FAT-32, and one is now only Copying the files to a storage device. This puzzles me, but it must just be that I am missing something in the Copy process. It sound like you are doing the Copy operation directly from the camera to the external, without benefit of a computer. Is that correct?

The only limitations with FAT-32 are a loss in the speed of accessing the data (NTSF is faster), and the above mentioned file size limitation, but that is the exact same with the flash memory cards in the camera, so one is faced with that limitation at the recording stage.

There should be no reason that the files cannot be edited fine. One consideration is that in many flash memory recording schemes, one MUST Import the entire folder structure, and not just the AV files. I do not have a list of all the cameras and all of the formats, that require this folder structure to be preset. Maybe another user here knows your camera, and can help. Yours might, or might not, be one that requires the entire folder structure. I know that the P2 footage requires this.

Good luck, and wish that I knew more about your camera and its requirements.

Hunt

• 4. Re: External hard drive with Pre 9
                jpp 38 Level 1

Thanks Bill,  The Sony XR-550 has a 240GB internal hard drive and SD card availability. You would choose the one to record too. I am using the internal hard drive only when I copied video directly from the camera. I did not use a computer. In that process it's in the FAT -32 system. It seems to be the only way it can be copied into the external hard drive. I will probably try to take about 30 min of raw video from the external hard drive to edit at a time. I don't mind if it's slower, as long as it can done in Pre 9. Does that make sense?  Thanks,  John

• 5. Re: External hard drive with Pre 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

As I have never used any HDD camera, I have to rely on you to teach me. If the camera needs the external to be FAT-32, that is the nature of the direct write to disk capabilities.

As mentioned, the only limitations with the FAT-32 format will be a little loss in speed, and that limit in max file size (but your camera has the same, so that will not be an issue).

Now, when it comes time to actually edit, you might want to consider just doing a Copy over to your internal HDD, or to a fast, NTSF external. I find that FW-800's are fast enough to edit to/from, and eSATA would be even better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: External hard drive with Pre 9
                    jpp 38 Level 1

Thanks Bill, I'll try this and see how it works.   John