15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2010 8:42 AM by the_wine_snob

Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac

Kumar_Vora_

I just installed PRE 9.0.  Is it possible to burn a BluRay DVD on a DVD-R media using PRE 9?  In other words, can you burn AVCHD discs using PRE 9?  This would be an attractive feature to have rather than investing in a BD burner.  Apparently Toast 10 can do this.

• 1. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVCHD and BluRay are two very diferent formats, Kumar. (AVCHD is a camcorder format.) Which do you want to burn?

Yes, Premiere Elements can burn BluRay discs, and version 9 can burn them with the H.264 codec, the same codec that AVCHD video uses. Is that what you're looking for?

• 2. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>burn a BluRay DVD on a DVD-R media

The DVD specification does not allow HiDef - Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206?tstart=0

I think you MIGHT be able to create a SHORT BluRay video that you write to a folder on your hard drive, and then write that folder to a DVD... but you will not be able to play that DVD in a DVD player connected to a TV, you will need a BluRay player since a DVD player can not play HiDef material

• 3. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
              Kumar_Vora_ Level 1

Clearly, I am new to this.

What I have is AVCHD 1080i footage from a Sony camera.  What I want is a high resolution (1080i?) DVD that I can play on my home Blu-Ray set-top player.  I read somewhere that you can burn AVCHD disc on regular DVD-R media with the non-Blu-Ray burners.  I don't have a Blu-Ray burner, so this seems like a fine compromise.  Toast 10 seems to boast that it can do that.  I read that Encore CS5 can do this as well?  Wondering if PRE 9 can.  I wanted to take this short-cut using existing media and existing burner... don't have the appetite to buy a Blu-Ray burner.

Does that clarify the question?

• 4. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One can burn about 20mins. of HD to a DVD blank. What I do not know is if PrE 9 has added the Burn to Folder for a short BD Project. That was missing from PrE 8. Encore, the authoring app. that ships and installs with PrPro CS5 can do that.

I feel that other authoring programs can probably do this for you, if PrE 9 has not added that function (do not think that it has). Possibly Sony's DVD Architect?

For some background, the link in this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                  nealeh Level 5

Well you can burn a raw HD video file to a DVD (I think about 20 minutes worth) but it will only play in a DVD player if the player is designed for it. E.g. some DVD players can play Divx files (because the codec is embedded in the players firmware) but others cannot.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                    nealeh Level 5

No, Steve confirmed that Blu-Ray 'Burn to Folder' is not in PRE9.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thanks. I thought that I remembered that. Nice to have confirmation.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                        Kumar_Vora_ Level 1

Thank you all - this has been helpful.

Reading the DVD FAQ to look for the answer to my question would have been like trying to kill an ant with a cannon.   It's a great FAQ, so thanks for the pointer, but I'll have to save that for later.

Here's what I am taking away:

- DVD players can not play Hi-Def video (not surprising, and I wasn't expecting that to be the case)

- Consumer set-top Blu-Ray players can play AVCHD discs (I don't know if all of them do, but I know my Samsung does)

- It is possible to create AVCHD disc on DVD-R media (~20 minute play time) and that disc will play on set-top Blu-Ray player

- PRE-9 can not create such a disc

- Encore CS5 can create such a disc

One last question, in case anyone knows: can I use DVD+R DL media and get double the play time?  Would a DL AVCHD disc work?

I would have preferred to create the disc in PRE9 -- much easier to use.  I'll now turn my attention to learning Encore instead.

• 9. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                          Kumar_Vora_ Level 1

One more -

On reading up further, it's not clear to me that Encore CS5 can do what I am looking for.  Can Encore create an AVCHD disc on DVD-R or DVD+R media?

This is something Toast 10 boasts it can do.  Check out here. Wondering if there's an Adobe tool that can do the same.  Can someone confirm whether or not Encore CS5 can do this?

• 10. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac

And just to clarify again -- AVCHD is NOT a playable format for DVD or BluRay!

AVCHD is a camcorder format. Camcorders shoot in AVCHD.

You can certainly save hi-def video as an H.264 MP4, which is the compression format the AVCHD uses, using Premiere Elements, Encore and a number of other DVD authoring programs. However, it is not technically AVCHD.

The use of the term AVCHD to describe this format is leading to so much confusion.

• 11. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                              Kumar_Vora_ Level 1

Steve, I hear you, but blame the industry, don't blame this novice.   What can I say -- I am just a poor ******* trying to work around having to buy an expensive Blu-Ray Burner!

For instance, check out the spec for Samsung Blu-Ray player  BD-C6500.  In the list of compatible formats, it says it supports AVCHD.  The manual says, and I quote, "This player can playback AVCHD format discs".  This might be technically incorrect, but seems like a colloquial use of the phrase "AVCHD disc".

And, again, I am not interested in saving H.264 MP4.  I am interested in creating a disc with high-def video on DVD-R disc that I can then play on my Blu-Ray player.  Pretty pedestrian attempt to work around having to buy an expensive Blu-Ray burner, that's all.

• 12. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                                Kumar_Vora_ Level 1

Sorry about that -- didn't realize "shm u ck" was a

dirty word in this forum's dictionary.

• 13. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac

Really? I didn't know someone censored this forum! Oh well. Point well taken in any event.

Yes, you're sure right, Kumar. People -- even professionals -- do rather wrecklessly use the word AVCHD when they mean H.264.

Anyway, as I hope I made clear, Premiere Elements indeed can output an H.264 BluRay disc -- and it can, if you prefer, output an H.264 MP4, which you can then burn to a BluRay or a DVD  using your computer's burner software and which should then play on your BluRay player.

• 14. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Some newer BD players can play full, official AVCHD. Adobe Encore has added AVCHD authoring. However, one MUST have one of those BD players. It is the same for DVD with formats like DivX. A very few players/devices can decode DivX, just not the majority.

Now, if one has such a player, they can get playback. Where a problem can exist is that most others will not be able to play that same disc.

As for BD material onto a DVD-Video disc, one can produce a disc with about 20 mins. of BD material on it, for playback in a BD player. This is a rather specialized procedure, and I highly doubt that PrE can do it directly. However, there are other authoring programs that can.

For a complete breakdown on DVD-Video and BD, see this ARTICLE'S link.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Burning BluRay DVD on a Mac
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This THREAD might also prove useful.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt