5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 9:30 PM by pixlor

300 DPI Picture Size

Jack_606 Level 1

Hi guys,

I just have a quick question regarding 300 DPI images and the size of the canvas in Fireworks.

Basically, I need to create a print ready image at 300 DPI, but it needs to be at a fixed dimension of 180cm x 50cm as well. However, when I create a new document and input those dimensions, then go to Modify > Canvas > Image Size and try to change the pixel / inch resolution from 72 to 300, I get a message saying that an invalid value has been entered, and then Fireworks changes the canvas size completely to a huge square shape.

What am I doing wrong? How can I set a fixed dimension canvas to print ready 300 DPI without fireworks changing the dimensions of the canvas or telling me that the value I've entered isn't valid?

If someone could tell me how to create a 180cm x 50cm canvas at 300 DPI, I would be forever grateful.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

Best wishes,

Jack.

• 1. Re: 300 DPI Picture Size
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

!) Don't use FW for large, high res print work 9or arguably, print work in general). Use Photoshop.

2)You're way outside the limits for canvas size/resolution in Fireworks. Those measurements produce a file containing over 30,000 pixels - over 2 GB in file size. FW is meant for screen work, not high res print work such as this. Even PS coughed up a warning message when I tried to create this dimension.

3)FIreworks has a canvas limit for new documents of 6000 x 6000 pixels. This file you are trying to create is 54000 x 15000 pixels

HTH

Jim Babbage

• 2. Re: 300 DPI Picture Size
            Jack_606 Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop, and I'm a student, so I can't really afford to buy it either.

Is there absolutely no way what-so-ever that this can be done in Fireworks? Is there anything I can save it as that the print people would then be able to upscale themselves?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: 300 DPI Picture Size
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

Nope. FIreworks is a screen graphics application, not a print graphics application. It's not designed or optimized to handle files that large.

Not to mention the fact that Fireworks does not work with color profiles or four color separations.

If you're a student, why not just go to a lab in your school and do this?

Jim Babbage

• 4. Re: 300 DPI Picture Size
                Jack_606 Level 1

I'm at University, and only people on particular related courses are allowed access to and to use the graphic design equipment and programs unfortunately.

Do you know of anyone, or any service, that might upscale this for me to a printable resolution? I have all the artwork ready, I just need it upscaled to a printable resolution.

• 5. Re: 300 DPI Picture Size
                  pixlor Level 4

You might check out Inkscape (http://inkscape.org/). It's a freeware vector drawing program. Because it's vector-, rather than pixel-based, it shouldn't complain about the dimensions. You can save to .eps, which I expect most print shops can handle. It's worth a try, anyway, as the price is within budget.