11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 11:55 AM by JordanBBM

Cannot view images on the stage in AS3

JordanBBM

Hi guys, I've had Flash CS4 for a while but never been able to use Actionscript 3 as any images dragged to the stage just disappear -- but of course are there when you preview the movie.  I've reset the program, tried changing all around the views and resetting preferences -- and it works fine with new AS2 documents, but this problem has got me annoyed!  I can't see anyone else with this problem while surfing the web, but thought it was time to get proactive and ask for your help and ideas!

Cheers guys, any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have the latest revision/version installed (10.0.2)?

• 2. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
            JordanBBM Level 1

Hi Ned,

Thanks for the message.  The version screen just states "10.0" - but when I click the updates option within Flash after a quick check against the Adobe server all the boxes are ticked and it says I'm running the most up-to-date CS4 version.  Is there a way to manually update it?  If it's an easy fix because of an pushed-out-too-early release bug then I'll be very happy!

• 3. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you open the software, in the Help menu option choose "About Flash...yadda yadda" and it may have a more definitive version number indicated.

To manually acquire the latest version you can use the Support -> Updates menu at the top of this web page (which will bring you to http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ )  The link for the latest version is listed nearer to the bottom than the top.

• 4. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                JordanBBM Level 1

Thanks Ned. I downloaded the 10.0.2 patch but it couldn't install as the dialog box said that version was already installed  (the program version/about us page still has the "10.0" text with no mention of "10.0.2"). I've tried to install other releases manually (eg of Flash player) but still the software is up to date - I even tried a fresh install of Flash but its the same.  It is strange that it just affects AS3 and not AS2 projects.

All I can think is that there must be a conflict somewhere with another kit. Thanks for your help anyway.

• 5. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                  Level 1

I don't know if you've solved this already but I had the same problem.

Then I realized that under VIEW > PREVIEW MODE was set to OUTLINES instead of FULL.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                    JordanBBM Level 1

Hi,

Apologies as I've only just noticed your message.  I still haven't been able to use Flash Pro CS4 in all this time and just left it as a dead weight to be honest.  I've checked the settings just now (just in case!) but the preview is set to Full, and with the same result.  It works fine and as you'd expect in AS2 documents, it just can't seem to cope with library objects in my AS3 so its basically a waste of money. I even tried a fresh reinstall before as well.

The Help | Updates menu choice gives feedback that everything is up to date.  The PC this is running on is a Windows Vista AMD64 Dual Core without any problems (and works fine on other Adobe CS4 programs).  Maybe I'll never know what the problem has been.  But there's not much Flash demand these days anyway for smaller projects so it's more annoying that I'd like to have it working 'just in case' than anything else.

Thanks anyway.

• 7. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                      Level 1

The only thing I can think of is to make sure in your TMELINE under the EYE that's next to the LOCK, make sure that you're in the right layer and make sure it's ON and not OFF. It's off when there's an "X" underneath that EYE catagory, instead of a DOT (which indicates that the contents on that layer are viewable).

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe possibly the Alpha on the symbol is set to Zero percent. If you can select the symbol in question, go to the PROPERTIES panel, and where it says COLOR, select ALPHA and make sure it's set to 100% or to any any amount you like that will make it viewable.

Good luck.

• 8. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                        sinious Most Valuable Participant

Make a brand spankin' new layer, drag an image into it from windows explorer or by hitting ctrl (cmd mac) + r and pick an image. Should show up just fine.

I never had a single issue in the least with CS1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 5.5 in this regard.

• 9. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                          JordanBBM Level 1

Hi guys,

First off - thanks so much for taking the time to read this and answer to help me out. It's much appreciated, and better than anything that Adobe have offered (except to host these forums I suppose).  I don't want to set myself up for a big fall and say that it can't be something simple as I could well be missing something, but it's definitely not a case of just adding a new layer and importing to the stage again.  I've used Flash since way back in version 5, and like I said it works fine for Actionscript 2 documents, just seems a weird issue with (my) Actionscript 3.

I've looked at other suggestions, but as you can see from these screenshots all the layers are visible and not locked.  Alpha is 100%, and it doesn't just affect new library objects but al drawing objects on the stage -- they can be drawn, but then quickly disappear.  They are still there, and the cursor will change when hovered over the spot where they should be.  The paths can also be seen when highlighted by the subselection tool. I've tried using the bring to front etc and anything else I can see.  Also, I reinstalled the Flash Pro kit, so it must be something with my default setup.

flash-screenshot1.gif

Image 1 - just about to drag a Facebook gif icon to the stage.

flash-screenshot2.gif

Image 2 (it's different, honest!) - The layer has been filled, but the library item can't be seen.  Also makes no difference if the Flash file is saved first or not.  The cursor changes to the "move" type graphic when hovered over the invisible graphic too.

Any of you guys have a fix I'll buy you a drink next time you're near Durham (UK)!

Jordan

• 10. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                            sinious Most Valuable Participant

Try another image, another format (PNG, JPG, etc).

• 11. Re: Cannot view images on the stage in AS3
                              JordanBBM Level 1

The image was just to show a sample. It's been tried with every type of image, a lot of files, and every combination over a lot of months - but it's everything on the stage (drawing shapes too).  Unfortunately, if it was something straight forward I would have nailed it a long, long time ago.  Looks like it'll never be sorted out, but if I've not really used it in all this time I suppose it's not going to be a major miss - just would be nice to have it working.  Anyway I'll just leave it for now and if I get some work in for Flash in the future I'll just have to pay Adobe to look at it.  I'll give you a "helpful answer" tick anyway for taking the time to try and help.  Cheers dude.