3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 4:23 PM by SeanMcCormack

Registering a plug-in via an installer?

missamo80

Is there a way to register a Lightroom plug-in via a Windows Installer, so the user doesn't have to go into the plug-in manager and load it themselves after my installer completes?

Thanks!

Neil

• 1. Re: Registering a plug-in via an installer?
          areohbee Level 5

Yep - just put it in the Modules folder under Lightroom (in the DEFAULT presets folder - not the one with your catalog if you store presets with catalog). Note: you may have to create the Modules folder if its not already there - not sure why Lightroom doesn't include an empty one so you know you've got the right place - oh well. Lightroom has to be restarted afterward, so make sure you add mention in your installer.

On Windows, its: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules

Example from NSI installer script:   InstallDir "$APPDATA\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\MyFancy.lrplugin"

I forget the details for Mac - sorry.

Rob

• 2. Re: Registering a plug-in via an installer?
            SeanMcCormack Adobe Community Professional

The problem with that is the plugin can't be removed via the Plugin Manager either.

• 3. Re: Registering a plug-in via an installer?
              areohbee Level 5

Indeed.

If you have a plugin installer, then you should also have a plugin un-installer, and prompt the user to restart Lightroom...

I wish there was no Modules folder, and instead when the user double-clicks a lrplugin or lrdevplugin file, or something like it, the plugin just gets added. So, the user simply downloads a zip and "opens" the plugin, Mac would probably be smart enough to detect the association and just prompt the user to install plugin... Although Windows does not have auto-install from zip smarts built in yet - it would be easy enough to do with WinZip.

This would obviate the need for installers to assist people with installation, and even make more complex (app+plugin+...) installers easier to create.

R