7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 7:26 AM by Stan Jones

Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube

hellopaul_1

Hello.

I was trying to find an answer for my question but couldn't.

I made an animation in AE which is 23.976fps, 16:9, full HD. I must connect it with a .flv file which is 13FPS (!) and 480x270px. I want then to export it to YouTube.

When I chose to make a new sequence from my 13FPS file and then export the .flv, my animation looks terrible. The output file is 13fps which I guess is strange frame rate.

When I was trying to convert the 13FPS file to 24fps, it plays with no problems as a standalone file BUT when I put it into premiere with my animation and then export it to 24fps, the audio is out of sync.

So, should I stay at 13FPS and export files to 13FPS even if my animation is 23.976?

Plus, I have another problem. These files are 16:9, right? (at least MediaInfo shows that) I've heard that the best size for YouTube is 320x240. How can I make this size out of 480x270? Or should I just upload 480x720?

Jesus, I just wanted to make movies and now my head is blowing because of all that codecs, fps, aspect ratios etc...

• 1. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I would convert the 13FPS material to match your animation. This should be possible with AME, or an external conversion program. As that is almost a doubling of the Frame Rate, I am not sure how good it will look. What is the subject matter, and also the source of that 13FPS footage?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
            expeditionwest Level 1

You might want to file this under 'WHAT IF'

What if you extracted your audio to a separate file. Now take your video files and combine them into one exported clip. Then try to synch your independent audio with the combined video tracks?

I had a similar experience one time and was able to complete the task, but not without painstaking synchronization.

Nobody said editing was easy - but with this forum, it can be a lot easier.

expeditionwest

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
              hellopaul_1 Level 1

Thank You guys for Your answers.

The source of this footage is my client who gave it to me from some idiot who should have known how to export for YouTube as he claimed it.

When I convert to 24FPS from 13, as I said, nothing happens. Besides the fact that when I put this material in AP and then export it, the sound is out of sync. I'll try the trick with taking the sound out of the file and then merging it again.

But, couldn't the file just be 13FPS?

Btw. what's the best size for YouTube for NON-HD material? And why some SD material is 16:9 and some 4:3?

PS: sorry for my english but im really pissed off and i cant concentrate

Regards

Paul

• 4. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
                jkosmicki Level 2

You should be able to just drop the 13fps file as is on a Premiere timeline that matches your AE render and it should playback normally with audio synced. I know this works because I just did it the other day with several video clips that were 3fps onto a 720p 23.976fps project. Premiere will interpolate the 13fps to 23.976fps (or whatever the timeline is set to), doubling frames were necessary. The 13fps may look choppy compared to the 23.976 animation, but I assume that's OK for your purposes. Premiere is awesome because you can drop a file of any resolution at any framerate onto a timeline and it will almost always playback real-time.

As far as YouTube goes, they prefer uploads to be 16:9, you can upload any pixel size you want, and they will resize as necessary. Since YouTube re-encodes what ever you upload, I upload H.264 files that have the least compression/highest quality possible. They play files up to 1080P now as well.

• 5. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Jesus, I just wanted to make movies and now my head is blowing because of all that codecs, fps, aspect ratios etc...

That's why a proper education is the best place to start.

First learn, then do.  You're bound to have unnecessary difficulty if you skip step one.

• 6. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
                    hellopaul_1 Level 1

You should be able to just drop the 13fps file as is on a Premiere timeline that matches your AE render and it should playback normally with audio synced. I know this works because I just did it the other day with several video clips that were 3fps onto a 720p 23.976fps project. Premiere will interpolate the 13fps to 23.976fps (or whatever the timeline is set to), doubling frames were necessary. The 13fps may look choppy compared to the 23.976 animation, but I assume that's OK for your purposes. Premiere is awesome because you can drop a file of any resolution at any framerate onto a timeline and it will almost always playback real-time.

As far as YouTube goes, they prefer uploads to be 16:9, you can upload any pixel size you want, and they will resize as necessary. Since YouTube re-encodes what ever you upload, I upload H.264 files that have the least compression/highest quality possible. They play files up to 1080P now as well.

The problem is that I must make my sequence out of the 13FPS file, not my animation, cause this 13FPS file is much smaller than my animation and it would appear almost invisible due to the size. It would look like this:

premiere.JPG

where black background is the size of my animation.

So I guess your idea won't work 'cause if I make a sequence out of 13FPS file, whole timeline will be 13FPS right?

I renew my question: why shouldn't I upload 13FPS movie to the web?

• 7. Re: Different framerates - how to combine - YouTube
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is that I must make my sequence out of the 13FPS file, not my animation, cause this 13FPS file is much smaller than my animation and it would appear almost invisible due to the size.

So I guess your idea won't work 'cause if I make a sequence out of 13FPS file, whole timeline will be 13FPS right?

You are dealing with a second issue: size.

You need a sequence at the higher frame rate, and the size of your 13 fps animation.  Then do what was suggested.

I renew my question: why shouldn't I upload 13FPS movie to the web?

It is not going to play as smoothly for the parts that do not have to be 13 fps.  If it all looks fine to you at 13fps, go for it.