22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 12:17 PM by Paulo.Norambuena

Filename automated from text?

mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

First off, thanks for reading. I am no scripter so forgive my ignorance.

What I've done:

I've used Data Merge to create one document with 44 pages. Each pages is a unique form letter with the person's name in a text box.

What I need to do:

Export each page as its own Jpg, with the filename being the persons name. So I guess, I need a script that will, upon naming the file, use that Text box as a filename. OR a script that will pull the <<name>> field from the data merge file.

I've searched the forum and it looks like it was touched on here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1875427#1875427
      But I don't need to use a field that isn't already on the page, as that fellow does. So maybe my problem is easier?

Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Kayla

• 1. Re: Filename automated from text?
          Joe.Charles Level 1

I think you can do this tagging the boxes with the name of the person using its label property. May be PERSON_NAME.

Then you should iterate over document all pages, looking for the box with the script label, and finally export each one as jpeg:

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegExportRange=ExportRangeOrAllPages.EXPORT_RANGE;
               app.jpegExportPreferences.exportingSpread=false;

var personName;

for (var currentPageIndex=0;currentPageIndex<app.activeDocument.pages.length;++currentPageIndex) {

personName="";

for (var currentTextFrameIndex=0;currentTextFrameIndex<app.activeDocument.pages[currentPageIndex]. textFrames.length;++currentTextFrameIndex) {

if (app.activeDocument.pages[currentPageIndex].textFrames[currentTextFrameIndex].label=="PER SON_NAME")

personName=app.activeDocument.pages[currentPageIndex].textFrames[currentTextFrameIndex].c ontents;

}

app.jpegExportPreferences.pageString=String(currentPageIndex+1);

app.activeDocumen.exportFile(ExportFormat.JPG,personName+".JPEG");

}  

Hope this helps

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filename automated from text?
            mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

I apologize for seeming so dense, but while I understand the scripting function in theory- I don't in practicality. How do I implement this answer? I promise if you explain it slowly, once I get it I will remember it.

Here's What I did.

I used the Label Function to label the text box with the data merge variable <<name>> as PERSON_NAME

From there, I executed the data merge, producing one 50 page document with each page having a unique text in the <<name>> field, which is also the box tagged as PERSON_NAME.

Then, I used ExtendScript Toolkit to copy and paste the script provided, save it in the script folder for indesign.

But when I tried to run it, it kept coming up with offending text errors. So I guess I need more instructions, or perhaps a tested script?

Thank you so much for your patience.

Kayla

• 3. Re: Filename automated from text?
              Joe.Charles Level 1

Label function? What I understood is that you "tagged" each name box -one per page- as PERSON_NAME using the script label panel. Is that right?

Once you did it, you can recover person name for one page using this function:

function getPersonName(page) {

for (var  currentTextFrameIndex=0;currentTextFrameIndex<page.textFrames.length;++currentTextFrameIn dex) { // Iterates over frames

if (page.textFrames[currentTextFrameIndex].label=="PERSON_NAME") // if label is PERSON_NAME..

return page.textFrames[currentTextFrameIndex].contents; // ..returns text frame contents

}

return null; // if not found, returns null

}

getPersonName function iterates over text frames within the given page, looking for the first labeled as PERSON_NAME.

Script main loop will iterate over document pages, exporting each one as jpeg:

var personName;

var currentPage;

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegExportRange=ExportRangeOrAllPages.EXPORT_RANGE; // Export only given range pages

var pagesList=app.activeDocument.pages;

for (var currentPageIndex=0;currentPageIndex<pagesList.length;++currentPageIndex) { // Iterates over pages list
                        currentPage=pagesList[currentPageIndex];

personName=getPersonName(currentPage);

if (personName!=null) { // If we have a person name -jpeg file name-

app.jpegExportPreferences.pageString=String(currentPageIndex+1); // set up the export range..

app.activeDocumen.exportFile(ExportFormat.JPG,personName+".JPEG"); //.. and save the file

} else {

alert("Page number "+currentPageIndex+" without person name box");

}

}

Hope this help -and work ;-) I didn´t tried it-

Regards

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Filename automated from text?
                Joe.Charles Level 1

Use notepad -or similar- to create a text file with jsx extension.

Insert above code.

Save into indesign Scripts\Scripts Panel folder

Regards

• 5. Re: Filename automated from text?
                  mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

Thanks, Joe!

Well, it did.... *something*....

Firstly, sorry about the confusion. When you said "tag" the boxes I actually just used the "tag" panel in indesign. But this time I did it Via the Script Label Panel.

I combined the two snippets into one file and ran it.

It said writing Jpeg for each page, took quite some time actually.

Trouble is... I don't know where it was writing them to. I did a spotlight search for .jpeg created within the last day, I did a search for several of the names that it should have exported under, and I've checked the folder that the original indd file is in. I can't find them! So, I'm not sure if it worked. It might have saved them under an incorrect naming scheme, and thats why I can't find them via search.

Thank you so much though! I was so excited when It started running and writing Jpeg!

Kayla

• 6. Re: Filename automated from text?
                    Joe.Charles Level 1

You have to append the desired path before person name:

path+personName+".JPEG"

It might be something like "/c/temp/"

For debuging reasons, add an alert before exporting each page, with the name of the person name:

alert(personName);

regards

As I said, i didn´t tried it ;-)

• 7. Re: Filename automated from text?
                      mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

Alrighty,

I made a couple changes. First off, so we're on the same page, Here's what I'm working with:

for (var  currentTextFrameIndex=0;currentTextFrameIndex<page.textFrames.length; ++currentTextFrameIndex) { // Iterates over frames

if (page.textFrames[currentTextFrameIndex].label=="PERSON_NAME") // if label is PERSON_NAME..

return page.textFrames[currentTextFrameIndex].contents; // ..returns text frame contents

}

}

var personName;

var currentPage;

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegExportRange=ExportRangeOrAllPages.EXPORT_RANGE; // Export only given range pages

for (var currentPageIndex=0;currentPageIndex<pagesList.length;++currentPageIndex) { // Iterates over pages list

app.jpegExportPreferences.pageString=String(currentPageIndex+1); // set up the export range..

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.JPG,"/desktop/Flyers/"+personName+".JPEG"); //.. and save the file

} else {

alert(personName);

}

}

As suggested, I tried adding a path before the personName+".JPEG", making it (ExportFormat.JPG,"/Desktop/Flyers/"+personName+".JPEG")

That came back with an error, "Cannot find directory /Desktop/Flyers/JohnSmith.jpeg"

So I took that part out, and ran it as I did yersterday, only with the  alert(personName); in there. The alert didn't seem to do anything. It started over what it did yesterday, saying it was writing JPEG but I can't find where.

I assume I'm putting in the directory location in the wrong place. But I don't know what the right place is.

Thanks again for your continuing support. =oD

• 8. Re: Filename automated from text?
                        Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which OS are you using? The path is different for each OS.

• 9. Re: Filename automated from text?
                          mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

Oh, I'm using OSX and CS5.

Thanks,

Kayla

• 10. Re: Filename automated from text?
                            Joe.Charles Level 1

You can use any valid path on finder.

Here -> http://wiki.servoy.com/display/test98/File+path+syntax_+MacOSX you can see OSX path syntax

Regards

• 11. Re: Filename automated from text?
                              mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

First of all, Joe,

YOU. ARE. AMAZING.

IT works! Everything exports!

My only question now is how to I change the save as settings? The files are coming across as too big. For now I'm just going to use photoshop or Bridge to batch resize them, but in the future, this setting would be interesting to have.

Thank SO MUCH for helping me with this.

Kayla

• 12. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                Joe.Charles Level 1

Try this:

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegQuality=desiredQuality;
                                    app.jpegExportPreferences.resolution=desiredResolution;
                                    app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegRenderingStyle=JPEGOptionsFormat.BASELINE_ENCODING;

Regards

• 13. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                  mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

Joe,

Thanks for the advice, but, once again, I'm not the best at implementing it.

Here's what I have in total:

for (var  currentTextFrameIndex=0;currentTextFrameIndex<page.textFrames.length; ++currentTextFrameIndex) { // Iterates over frames

}

}

var personName;

var currentPage;

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegQuality=Maximum;

app.jpegExportPreferences.resolution= X ;

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegRenderingStyle=JPEGOptionsFormat.BASELINE_ENCODING;

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.JPG,"/Users/kaylasrodawa/Desktop/Flyers/"+pers onName+".JPEG"); //.. and save the file

} else {

alert(personName);

}

}

I'm not sure if I added the quality stuff in the right place. Also, I've tried all sorts of values there, High, Maximum, "100", 100 etc etc. And every time it either says "expeted jpegquality enumerator, recieved "X" " or it says , "X undefined."

So, obviously I'm still messing this up somewhere. I'd appreciate any more advice you could give. I know this is a longer commitment than you probably intended to make in the beginning. =D

Kayla

• 14. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The JPEG quality "expects a jpegquality enumerator" because it has to be one of these constants:

JPEGOptionsQuality.LOW
                                    JPEGOptionsQuality.MEDIUM
                                    JPEGOptionsQuality.HIGH
                                    JPEGOptionsQuality.MAXIMUM

The resolution can be any simple number:

"The export     resolution. (Range: 1 to 2400)"

(The good news is, you added the rest correctly, as far as I can see.)

• 15. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                      mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

Well, its good to know I did SOMETHING right!

Alright, so I changed  it to

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegQuality=JPEGOptionsQuality.MAXIMUM;

And it seemed to go ok. Then it got caught up on the resolution.

I've tried:

app.jpegExportPreferences.resolution=100;

To which I get the error "Object does not support the property or method 'resolution'

So I tried

app.jpegExportPreferences.resolution=JPEGOptionsResolution.100;

And I get a syntax error with the offending text "100"

I've tried all variations I can think of of "100" etc.

Thanks again for sticking with me. I'm so close!

Kayla

• 16. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                        Marijan Tompa [tomaxxi] Level 4

Try this:

app.jpegExportPreferences.exportResolution = 100;

"resolution" is changed to "exportResolution" from CS4 to CS5 DOM.

--

tomaxxi

http://indisnip.wordpress.com/

• 17. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

So it did ... is this listed in Harbs' List of Random Property Name Changes? <g>

From the CS5 JS Help:

"exportResolution [...] The export     resolution expressed as a real number instead of an integer. (Range: 1.0 to 2400.0)"

Oh wow -- all that trouble just so someone could set the resolution to 300.000001 dpi ... Was that an actual Feature Request?

• 18. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                            mizzmuzikluvr Level 1

THAT'S IT!

IT WORKS!

I'm going to paste it here in its entirety in case someone else ever needs it again. Oh, and PS: Even in CS5 it works as resolution 100, rather than 100.0

}

}

var personName;

var currentPage;

app.jpegExportPreferences.jpegQuality=JPEGOptionsQuality.MAXIMUM;

app.jpegExportPreferences.exportResolution = 100;

app.activeDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.JPG,"/Users/kaylasrodawa/Desktop/Flyers/"+pers onName+".JPEG"); //.. and save the file

} else {

alert(personName);

}

}

Thanks to everyone who contributed, and especially to Joe. =oD It was worth all the trouble, as I will be using this script about a million times.

Thanks again everyone.

Kayla

• 19. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                              Joe.Charles Level 1

Hi Kayla

Only one question more. You can set jpeg preferences outside the pages loop; don´t need to set for each page.

I´m happy with that.

Regards

• 20. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                                Paulo.Norambuena

Hi Joe

I wonder if you could help me to adapt this VERY USEFUL script to export pdf file instead of jpg. All I need is to choose the the export preset.

I am trying to do iton my own with no luck. I'm using asomething like this:

app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = app.documents[0].pages[p].name;

var export_preset = app.pdfExportPresets.item("[Smallest File Size]");

app.documents[0].exportFile(
                                                               ExportFormat.pdfType,
                                                               File("/" + pdf_name + ".pdf"),

Please help.

Thanks

• 21. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                                  Joe.Charles Level 1

You need to pass selected exportPreset to the export function:

exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType, File(pdfName), false,export_preset);

Here you have a complete sample -> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/289666

Regards

• 22. Re: Filename automated from text?
                                                    Paulo.Norambuena Level 1

ok.

I managed to build up something that I believe does what I need. Could you help me checking it out so that it doesn't do something unexpected. I'm new into scripting and I'm learning on my own so your opinion will be very helpfull.

thanks