6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2010 3:52 PM by ssardar

DataGrid Question

ssardar Level 1

How do I get one column in the datagrid to display it's index number in the underlying ArrayCollection?

• 1. Re: DataGrid Question
          Rajeshwar Gaini

Can you elaborate with an example ?

• 2. Re: DataGrid Question
            ssardar Level 1

I have a datagrid with

200 items (rows), and 4 columns for the elements of the objects in the ArrayCollection

How, in MXML, do I get the bound object to fill a 5th column with it's index position so I will have a sequence number in my 5th column.

Basically this is a template creation, where each sequence number will identify a positional value in the Grid generated from this template.  I need to do it this way as the setup for this screen allows users to move items in this grid up and down using buttons.  I just need to display them in the GRID itself so please don't tell me I can get them when I process as I know this already, and plan to do that, but I also need to display them so the user does not get confused.  So I need to know what to bind to the datafield="{}" attribute in row 5 of my grid here.

ProjectIDEventIDTemplateIDTemplateItemSeq

• 3. Re: DataGrid Question
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

It will depend on whether the sequence number stays with the data if it is

moved or not.

• 4. Re: DataGrid Question
                ssardar Level 1

No I want the sequence numbers to stay the same, just basicall display the row number.

So as items move up and down the seq number merely displays the row number.

I do an update to the seqnumber in the DB when the save button is hit at the bottm of the screen.

• 5. Re: DataGrid Question
                  Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Try using any valid dataField, then set labelFunction to a function that

takes the data and calls getItemIndex on the dataProvider.

If you have tons of rows, that might get slow as getItemIndex does a linear

search.  Then your options would be to keep those indexes in the

dataprovider items or an associated table, or use a custom item renderer.

I'm pretty sure I've already shown someone else how to create such a

renderer so check the forum archives.

• 6. Re: DataGrid Question
                    ssardar Level 1

I don't have that many rows, in actual usage it will not be more than 123.  Let me give this labelfunction

approach a try, I already marked it correct, as you answers usually are.  Thanks.