12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 4:20 AM by chyles

AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback

chyles

Hi,

I just bought a Panasonic SD-60 camcorder. So far so good. However I wanted to see how the footage would look on my computer. I am using a Macbook pro 2.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM. Importing to iMovie was no problem. Looks great and plays back super. I don't like to edit in iMovie so I have now moved over to Premiere Pro CS5.

I can import the MTS files directly from my SD card just like using iMovie. However the movies look bad and pixelated. If I use full playback and pause resolution it gets better but my computer becomes so slow that the playback is jerky. Why is this?

I also imported the .mov file I converted using iMovie (which plays back in iMovie, Quicktime and Final cut pro with no problems) and it is even more jerky in Premiere.

Is Premiere such a CPU hog or why is this happening?

Any help would be appreciated

• 1. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
          Harm Millaard Level 7

FCP and the like use an intermediate format, not the native format, that PR uses. Using native requires more compouter resources than an intermediate codec, but does not lose quality or time reencoding to another format. However, a MBP is underpowered for this kind of material. So your choice, either get a faster/better machine or use an intermediate codec, or a different NLE.

• 2. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
            chyles Level 1

Thanks Harm for the quick reply.

I was so happy that I could import the files directly into Premiere but also thought that maybe my computer just isn't the fastest anymore.....

Will have to wait for the next generation of Mac pro desktops to come out to make it worthwhile....which means I will move on over to FCP to see how that works out.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
              suneeshkachroo

Hi

There are few things that can improve the  performance of the Application . First thing make sure your graphic card  and the Application itself are updated to the latest version  available .

Then as you said the MTS files that you are importing from a SD card, copy the files over to the Internal Hard Disk since the Data transmition of the HD files are prity high which does not meets with SD cards and USB drives as well.

The other thing that I would like you to look at is reducing the Playback resolution of the Program Monitor which will reduce the load on to the GPU while playing back the timeline .

To just check if it an issue with HD files, check with other file formats like MOV so that you can confirm its happening to a particular file format or not  .

The other thing that you can do is that you can install the Camera utility Disk which will install the related codecs of the file you are getting from the Camera .

Thanks

Suneesh Kachroo

• 4. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                dslr_sc Level 1

Chyles I have the exact same problem with AVCHD footage and in my case I'm using a super powerful Intel I7 desktop PC. What's really strange is that my PC and PPro CS5 can easily handle raw video from my Canon T2i... no stuttering, no problems... perfect playback and super easy editing. But when I do a project with AVCHD footage from a low-end Panasonic camcorder similair to yours I get terrible looking pixalated footage during editing. It seems to get better if I render the timeline but I'm surprised I have to do this since my Canon video works and looks so good right off the disc.

I see that Premiere has several AVCHD presets so maybe I haven't tried the right one yet. And yes, I tried the trick of dragging an AVCHD file onto the "new sequence" icon, but that didn't improve the video.

This is very frustrating since I thought AVCHD video would be a piece of cake to edit compared to my Canon T2i video but sadly its the other way around. Unless someone has a suggestion I think the only solution is to convert the AVCHD video to another format with some other software and then use these files to edit in Premiere.

• 5. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... which edits AVCHD "as smooth as warm butter"

For my Canon Vixia HFS100 I simply copy the individual MTS files from the SD card to my hard drive

Does your camera required you to copy the folder structure as well... so any "metadata" is also copied to your computer?

If you can't get this to work for you...

Convert AVCHD to HDV http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390605?tstart=0

or use Cineform Neo Scene http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

• 6. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                    MarsupialMammal

I had the same question about my MBP. Last year I bought CS4 and could absolutely never get AVCHD to work properly, so I gave up and got FCP. I thought perhaps it was a version issue, so I considered upgrading to CS5 (after carefully reading the PP system requirements on the Adobe site), but apparently that won't do any good.

So, is there any MacBook Pro that can edit AVCHD natively? How about the new i5 or i7, and do they need to be max'd out? Conversely, what PC laptop specs could edit AVCHD natively? I'm all about mobility, so a desktop is out. I realize CS5 is optimized for CUDA and GPU-acceleration, but I'm not a studio editor, gotta rely on the graphics card inside the laptop. Thanks.

• 8. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                      dslr_sc Level 1

John Smith: My PC specs actually exceed yours and I still get jerky playback of AVCHD files. Yours must have some kind of special sauce installed.

• 9. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

When you add the AVCHD Clips to the Timeline, is there a red line above the Clips?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

dslr_sc wrote:

John Smith: My PC specs actually exceed yours and I still get jerky playback of AVCHD files. Yours must have some kind of special sauce installed.

I think it must be the sesame seed bun

Seriously... I guess the flavor of MTS produced by the Canon Vixia HFS100 I use just really like my configuration (also, recently, MP4 from a Flip camera I bought for my wife to use)

I have files spread on my 3 drives as...

1 - Win7 and all programs

2 - Win swap file and all projects

3 - All video files, input and output

• 11. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                            chyles Level 1

Hey,

Have you come to any solution yet?

I have just decided to take my MTS files and convert them directly (using TOast) to Apple pro res files. I can use these files (so far) in Premiere and Final cut pro with no problems.

If you have any other tips I'd be happy to hear about them.

• 12. Re: AVCHD video looks bad and has jerky playback
                              chyles Level 1

Hi,

no there is a yellow line.