22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 12:37 PM by Steve Grisetti

Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

Medic525600emt

Years ago when I was a Windows user I LOVED using Premiere Elements to import and edit home videos. The editing, chaptering etc was so easy and I I was really happy with the final product. One thing I really liked was when I created the DVD menus etc I had access to a blank DVD template so I could use my own background picture etc. I never cared much for the "themes". Is there a way with the new prem elements for MAC to have a blank DVD template?

• 1. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am surprised that you do not have the Blank Menu on the Mac. Do you have the other Templates, Themes, etc.? I am wondering if you installed the Functional Content. Did you install from download, or from media?

As the Menu Sets are but .PSD files, you can Copy over any "missing" Menus to PrE 9. If you look at the folder structure, you will see what you will want to do. Also, there are PNG (unless that changed in PrE 9?) files, that are the thumbnail previews. You will want those, plus an Motion & Audio Assets, as well. You would just Copy the entire folder and contents, into the hierarchy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
            Medic525600emt Level 1

Thanks for the response Bill. Let me explain my situation a little more clearly. I was a PC user like 3 or 4 years ago. When I was using Elements for PC there was no blank DVD template. I found some site/forum with other Element users. The site offered a ton of downloadable content such a stock clips/music etc. Anywho, on the forum way back when I mentioned wanting a blank template so I could use my own background picture and just text for the links. For instance, I made a DVD of our honeymoon and used a pic of my and wife and instead of video boxes etc I just had a "Play All" button and then links on the main page to each day. So I had like a "November 1" link and a "November 2" etc.I mentioned that I wanted this and someone via photoshop made a blank template for me and another blank template with a "scenes" menu as well. I hope I am being clear. I know it's "easy" to do this via photoshop but have never really worked with layers etc so I have zero idea how he did this. He made the templates and sent them to me explaining where to put the files.

I've been waiting since the day after I switched to MAC for Prem Elements to be released and am so happy it finally is. I just downloaded the demo to make sure there were no major changes I didn't want or like. When I go to "Disc menu" on PE all that is listed is one template called "FUN". Should I be seeing a "Blank" as well allowing me to use my own background pic without any fancy video boxes etc????

• 3. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't need a blank menu, Medic. You can swap your own picture or video into the background of ANY template.

You might want to look to a more generic template -- one without a lot of other graphics floating around on it so that you can customize it.

But in Premiere Elements 9, you can swap in your own background, move the buttons around and even change the color, style and font of the text.

If there is a specific template you're looking for -- maybe one that has only text buttons and not thumbnails, for instance, or one that has lots of scene buttons on the main menu -- you'll likely find one at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

Though, as I've said, there's an awful lot of customizing you can do right in the program!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                Medic525600emt Level 1

Steve!!!! OMG!!!! When I was big into Prem Elements a number of years ago I found your site and everyone was sooooo helpful and someone actually created the template for me (was it you?). I had just a blank template and then one with a scene button added. I might be crazy but using Prem. Elements 9 for MAC I can't add a custom background. I'm using the demo version which to the best of my knowledge is fully functioning with the exception of watermarking the video and limited to 30 days. I only have one DVD template available called "FUN". I only have 1 dropbox available to me on the template where I can drop a picture or a video. Again it's a drop box and not the entire menu screen. I am still stuck with the "FUN" background image etc. Would you be willing to send me your template folder (and tell me where to put it on a mac) so I can see what I am missing. This is the biggest feature to me and I want to make sure I can for sure, without a doubt, create a template with JUST my image as the background. I know I can customize the font etc. The other custom template that was created for me allowed me to insert my own custom background and DID NOT add a scene marker even though I had scenes/chapters in my DVD. It was awesome.

Peter

• 5. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

I will definitely see if I can help you out, Peter. Let me check out my Mac version and see if there are any limitations on customizing templates.

Meantime, http://Muvipix.com is still alive and well and better than ever! Hope you'll swing by again.

BTW, I've also removed your e-mail address from your post so you don't get one some spybot's spam list.

• 6. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

Well, I can confirm that you can indeed customize your DVD menu page right in Premiere Elements 9 on a Mac just as you can on a PC.

Just apply a menu template to your project and click to select the background graphic in the Disc Layout panel. You'll see the option to browse to add a background photo, video and/or music.

I'm continuing to research how to create new, custom menu templates for the Mac -- and how and where to install them. And, once I know that, I'll be glad to help you create a custom, generic menu that you can customize any way you like!

Meantime, have a look at the templates that are already in the program and try swapping out backgrounds and customizing text. It could well be that you'll find an existing menu template that could do what you want.

• 7. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

Good news, Peter! It appears that Mac and PC versions of Premiere Elements use exactly the  same template format! So any of the DVD/BluRay templates we offer on http://Muvipix.com.  will work for you.

Just place the template files in a folder on your Mac in MAC  HD/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/9/CONTENT/DVD  TEMPLATES/COMMON/GENERAL and restart the program.

The new template will show up under the General category of DVD/BluRay templates!

I've custom-designed two templates that we give away free on the site: One that is text-only generic, so you can customize it any way you want and can fit over a dozen text-only buttons on your main menu page, and a regular generic, with up to eight menu buttons on both the main menu and scene menu page.

Which is more like what you're looking for?

• 8. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                        Medic525600emt Level 1

As usual and as I remember you to be you are so helpful! What I would like is to have to custom templates. The first would be just a generic background where I could insert my own picture. I don't use video link boxes or anything so I prefer the links to the "menu markers" to be just text. For instance, say I am making a DVD of a theatre performance. I would like a general "play all" button that will play the entire performance. I would also use a "Act 1" button and a "Act 2 button". I do chapter each scene but to avoid having 10 pages of "scenes" I'd prefer the "scenes" to not be accessible from the main menu. Most every DVD from theatre to concerts to home movies I do like this. I only like to have one main menu menu. No submenus. I used to have 1 custom template that did that. The second one would be exactly the same but would offer a "scenes" button in the instance I did want to add a "scene" menu as well. I really, really hope this makes sense.....

And I don't want to come across as crazy, but when I installed the demo on PE9 on my mac, I only have one template called "fun" and I can't change the background image. There is a little dropbox within the menu that I can add a video or pic, but that's only a small hole in the template, the rest of the background I can't change. I'd be happy to take a screen cap if I am not describing it correctly...

Short story long, it sounds like Steve both templates you said are for free on your site will do what I am needing to do. How do I go about downloading them?

• 9. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

A quick question, reflecting back up to my Reply # 1: are the general folder structures the same for PC and Mac?

I cannot think of any differences between the Menu Sets in the two platforms, so if one had Menu Sets from an earlier version of PrE, they should be able to just copy over the folders and their contained files to the new program on the Mac platform. Is that correct, or am I missing something, that is unique to the platforms?

Thank you,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

Yes, Bill, the folder structures are essentially the same on the PC and on the Mac -- although, as you can see, Macs tend to bury program support files more deeply in their operating system.

Meantime, Peter, I got your private message, and it sounds like you've found exactly what you need at Muvipix. Glad we could help out -- and thanks for challenging me to get to know the Mac's Library structure!

• 11. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that clarification. One day, I might actually learn how a Mac works.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                Medic525600emt Level 1

I am sooooooo close. You had e-mailed me and said to place the template files in: MAC HD/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/9/CONTENT/DVD  TEMPLATES/COMMON/GENERAL

The only problem is after the 9.0 directory I don't have a CONTENT or DVD TEMPLATES or COMMON or GENERAL folder. In my 9.0 folder I only have an APPLICATION SWF folder, a LOCAL folder and an ONLINE folder. I tried creating (with PE9 closed) a Content and so on string but when I started up PE9 the templates didn't show.

Is there any chance the demo doesn't install the complete file structure??? This shouldn't be this hard.....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT THIS TO WORK!!!!!!

• 13. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                  John A Anthony Level 1

I think you have not installed Additional contents for PRE9. By default the additional contents get installed at the location suggested by Steve

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9 (not 9.0)/ ...

After you install additional contents you will see this folder.

• 14. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                    Medic525600emt Level 1

here is what is totally weird, my folder actually does say 9.0 and not just 9.

I installed the demo. is there anyway to install additional content from the demo?

• 15. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                      John A Anthony Level 1

The 9.0 folder gets created when you install only Premiere Elements. "9" gets created when you install Additional contents.

To install additional contents all you need to do is to click on the "Yes" button on the dialog that comes when you create a new project and which says that "Premiere Elements is installed with minimum contents".

Clicking Yes will take you to the download page. Download all contents and install them.

• 16. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                        John A Anthony Level 1

Here is the link to download additional contents:

http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/

Choose a correct version and operating system while downloading it.

• 17. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                          Medic525600emt Level 1

Steve, per our e-mail, what I want to do I am 100% sure can be done. I went through this years ago when I first started using PE for PC. What I think was done to make it work was someone opened up the DVD template in Photoshop and simply deleted the, err, I don't know what to call it, the "Scene" link or what-have-you. I know there was some special way it had to be saved because of the layers etc. Then when I used the template I had no "scene" menu but when I played the movie all the chapters were still there.

• 18. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

Yes, this is very easy to do, Peter. And you can do it with Photoshop Elements, since the DVD templates are actually only PSD (Photoshop) files.

I take you through the whole process in my "Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premiere Elements", available on Amazon and at the Muvipix store.

But since what you're looking for is a pretty simple fix, maybe I can help you out this go-round.

Have you found a template that you'd like modified by having the link to the scene menu removed?

• 19. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                              Medic525600emt Level 1

You are amazing and I can't thank you enough for all of this help....

I see that you have 2 generic templates on the MuviPix site, what is the difference between the 2? I know I want one that will support or will be the correct format for widescreen TVs.

• 20. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

One of the generic templates includes only a few text-only links on the main menu page -- the other includes up to 18 text-only links on the main menu page (as well as 18 more on the scene menu page).

• 21. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac
                                                  Medic525600emt Level 1

I guess the one with 18 text links would be best. Not that I"d ever use that many but it's nice to know that in theory I could have unlimited main menu markers (if need be).

Is the 18 one formatted for HD/widescreen? If so, that would be the one I'd like without a "scenes" menu!!!!

Perfect!

• 22. Re: Blank DVD Template in Prem. Elements for Mac

I'll modify one for you, Peter.

Write to me at my Muvipix.com address and I'll e-mail it to you with instructions on how to use it.

Take care.