8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 2:53 PM by philmwallah

Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec

Mike Tomei Level 1

Hello everyone,

Here's my situation that I'm really hoping you all can help with:

I'm using Adobe Premiere CS5 on a PC.  My sequence is set to DVCPRO HD 720p60.  The run time is about 2 hours.  I'm trying to export using Adobe Media Encoder CS5.  My intended export format is a Quicktime MOV file using the DVCPRO 720p60 codec.  When I start the encoding, it just sits at the very beginning of the progress bar and I see the estimated time creeping up and up, estimating infinite hours and hours of encoding.

But wait....there's more.  My sequence starts with a Photoshop file as a title screen.  If I delete that PSD file from the beginning of my sequence, then Adobe Media Encoder has no problem creating my Quicktime MOV using the DVCPRO HD 720p60 codec.  I replaced the Photoshop file with a JPEG, and the encoding issue is back.  Obviously, the graphics are the issue.  They render fine in Premiere, so this is an odd one to me.

I tried another codec within the Quicktime family (Animation codec), and it didn't have any problem encoding with the graphic at the beginning of the sequence.  I'm dealing with a client that insists on me delivering a Quicktime MOV file using the DVCPRO HD 720p60 codec.  If I can't find a fix to this, am I correct in assuming that I should first export using a lossless codec, like Quicktime Animation, then encode that using the Quicktime DVCPRO HD 720p60 settings?

Sorry for such a long post.  I figured more details would be better than too few.

Thanks!

Mike Tomei

• 1. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I can confirm; this is a bug of some sort (report it here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form)

Here's the quick, dirty, and ghetto-tastic way to workaround this minor annoyance: stick a video clip on a layer above the offending graphic, and set it's opacity to 0. Don't just disable the clip--it actually needs to be processed in the render stack--but setting the opacity to 0 will visually accomplish the same. The export will proceed then without incident. Be sure to spot check your file (maybe do a test export of that section) and make sure everything is copasetic before committing to a really long export.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
            Mike Tomei Level 1

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick response, and thanks for confirming the problem.  A friend of mine also confirmed it, so obviously it's a bug and not just a quirk.  I reported it to Adobe.

As for your solution: great workaround.  I tried it and it worked with no issues.  You've saved me an extra export step and maybe even one less headache!

Thanks!

Mike Tomei

• 3. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Mike,

Glad the workaround worked for you. I didn't test to see if any of the other DVCPROHD (24p, 30p, etc.) flavors suffered the same issue; did you happen to notice?

• 4. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
                Mike Tomei Level 1

No, I haven't tried, but I'll give it a test when I have a free minute.

Mike

• 5. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Actually, I just tested this myself--any export attempted with the DVCPROHD 720p/60p codec fails. That includes all other pulldown frame rates, like 23.976 (24p) and 29.97 (30p). It doesn't appear that 720p/50p or any of the 1080i/p flavors suffer this issue, in my quick testing, anyhow.

Just to be safe, I'll fire off another bug report mentioning that all of these alternate frame rates don't work, either.

• 6. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
                    philmwallah Level 1

Greetings,

I am having this problem with QT DVCProHD 720p/60p codec. Was there ever a solution?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
                      Mike Tomei Level 1

Well, no official solution from Adobe, but Colin's suggestion (in this same thread) is the best workaround.

Mike

• 8. Re: Problem with creating Quicktime using DVCPRO HD codec
                        philmwallah Level 1

Thanks for the response Mike. If anyone can assist me with my issue, I would be greatly thankful. I believe that there are multiple factors at work on my end. I run a CS5 on a PC and have a lengthy project. I am attempting to export a sequence from Premiere through Adobe Media Encoder.

1. I installed CS5 about two months ago. I already had CS4 on the machine and read that there should be no adverse effect to having both versions. When I began bringing some clips from Premiere into AfterEffects I would get these red-X messages in the 'Events' window stating that "An unspecified error occurred while performing a conform action on the following file: ___.cfa." These would be the linking files from AE to Prem only. Upon further inspection, I notice these .cfa files have 0k.

2. An additional notation in the 'Events' window told me two fonts I wasn't even using were off-line and were replaced by something else.

3. I have a P2 720p 60Hz DVCPROHD project that I am attempting to export to a 720p 60Hz DVCPROHD QuickTime. I am able to successfully export by using other QT codecs but not the one I want. Initially the picture in the small window in AME stops and no progress is made in the bar when it encounters a transition, in my case a fade to or from black. I have tested this in other parts of the timeline where there are fades to no success. At times video is captured, but on the fades there are a few bright flashes of blue that take over the screen. On regular, non-transitional video it works great.

I attempted the workaround suggested by Colin/Mike. The encode seemed to work on a small sample but when attempting to play in QT there was no image or sound.

Finally, I did create a new project and imported just the two timelines that I was using from the previous project. (Meaning I imported the previous project in hopes that it would behave differently.

Is there any possibility that the corrupted cfa files is contributing to this problem?

If so, does this mean my project is corrupted?

If that is so, how can I best remediate this? Please let me know if you require any additional info from me.

Thanks