9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 2:31 AM by Waverly Wafer

rendering - basic question

agrobie Level 1

I'm currently using Pre4 but I'm playing with the Pre9 trial (I passed on the Pre7 and Pre8 upgrades).  Anyway, why can't I get the work area to render?  I hit ENTER, the rendering progress window flashes on screen for a split second and then the clip that's in the work area begins to play, but it doesn't render -- the line stays red.  If I go into General Preferences and uncheck the "play work area after rendering previews" box, then all I get is the brief flash of the rendering progress window and no change to the red line.  I'm probably missing something obvious.

My project is nothing fancy -- just a bunch of .avi clips shot with my standard-def Panasonic PV-GS19 camcorder.  I'm running 64-bit Windows 7; Core i3 2.93GHz; 6 GB RAM.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: rendering - basic question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is the Work Area Bar on your timeline over the area you want to render?

By default, the Work Area Bar will extend or contract to cover the timeline as you edit -- but sometimes it can get manually reset. Could this be the case? (More on this in my tutorials on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.)

If not, can you tell us a bit more about your source video? What settings are you using in your Premiere Elements project? Was your miniDV footage captured by Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection?

• 2. Re: rendering - basic question
            agrobie Level 1

Steve,

Yes, the work area bar is over a small area of the timeline.  When I hit ENTER, the rendering progress window flashes on the screen for a split second and then disapperes -- like it's trying to render but something is causing it to abort.  The footage was shot on Mini DV tape and captured via FireWire ... using Pre4.  Could that be the issue?

I'm going to capture the same footage using Pre9 and see if it renders.

• 3. Re: rendering - basic question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The WAB (Work Area Bar) is only allowing a Render for that one small area.

To easily expand the WAB to cover the entire Timeline, hit \ (Backslash key), to zoom out to max, then Dbl-click the little "block" in the middle of the WAB. It will expand to include the entire Timeline.

WAB_Info_01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: rendering - basic question
                agrobie Level 1

Bill,

Thanks but the issue is that nothing is rendering ... regardless of how much timeline the WAB is covering.  When I hit ENTER, the render progress screen flashes on the screen for, literally, a fraction of a second and then the clip begins playing at the in point of the WAB ... as if it had rendered.  Problem is, it nothing has rendered.  I still have a solid red bar.  It's like it's starting to render and something is causing the render procedure to abort.  I've never had trouble using the WAB to render/export a clip in Pre4 (my current version).  I don't get why it won't work in Pre9 for me.

Thanks.it.

• 5. Re: rendering - basic question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, about like mine above?

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: rendering - basic question
                    agrobie Level 1

Hunt and Steve -- Thanks to both of you for your help.  Looks like I had some sort of file corruption issue or an incomplete download.  I removed all Pre9 and Pse9 files form my system and then re-downloaded and re-installed the trials.  That did the trick.  Now rendering is working fine in Pre9.

Thanks again - Andy

• 7. Re: rendering - basic question
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad to hear you're up and running! Thanks for reporting back, and happy moviemaking!

• 8. Re: rendering - basic question
                        Waverly Wafer Level 1

I have the same problem in Pre9, however it seems to only affect files created in previous versions.  I have just upgraded from Pre7.  Any files created in Pre9 itself seem OK.

I also have a problem with the Interpret Footage dialog box.  It has started opening with some of the text missing.  Still works OK as I know what to select even without the text.  Does anyone know why when I interpret my footage to widescreen format the frame rate automatically changes to 1fps.  I have to manually reset the radio button to native 25fps after changing the pixel dimensions.  Not a biggy, but not user friendly.  Previous versions never did this.

I guess I will reinstall form scratch and hope this fixes everything.

• 9. Re: rendering - basic question
                          nealeh Level 5
                          • It can be the case that newer PRE cannot work successfully with projects from a previous version. In these cases it makes sense to complete the project in the previous version.
                          • If you are seeing display corruption check you have the latest drivers for your PC and the most recent QuickTime version.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children