3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 10:00 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Effect categories combining?

rmcluke

Hello everyone. Here's my problem. I've installed several plugins, free, demos, full versions... At some point the categories at the end of the alphabet started going into an "Other" category. For example, I have Video Copilot's Sure Target, Twitch, and VC Reflect plugins which used to be in a 'Video Copilot' category. They are now in the 'Other' category along with many other plugins, most of which are from Red Giant. A few days ago I installed a trial of BorisFX's Final Effects 6, and now my category list goes to 'Red Giant Warp', and then 'Other'. Everything which should be listed below Red Giant Warp (The Foundry, Trapcode, Video Copilot) has been bundled into the 'Other' category.

My question is, can I stop this from happening? Shouldn't the category columns continue to wrap? There are 2 columns, but the second one only goes a third of the way before the 'other' category shows up. I've done a search and saw 2 other posts regarding this but no solution. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

I do see everything sorted properly in the 'Effects & Presets' panel, but not when right clicking on a layer and going to Effects, or from clicking Effects in the menu bar.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Effect categories combining?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's not possible. The length and content of the menu is determined by your screen resolution, but eventually even the biggest screen will run out of space. this behavior has already been improved over recent years so current versions show more than older ones, but there is only so much that can be done to enforce it from the side of the devs...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Effect categories combining?
            rmcluke Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.

I've uploaded a pic to show how my screen looks:

http://flic.kr/p/8FLznM

I could understand if the screen just wasn't large enough, but it seems to cut off much earlier than necessary. I would at least expect the categories to become submenus, but AE seems to just throw the individual plugin names together.

Anyway, as it's not something likely to be changed soon, I'll start using the Effects & Presets panel to find the plugins while I'm trying them out. Luckily, most of mine are trial versions for now, so I'll be removing them soon. Hopefully AE places the plugins back from the 'Others' category when I do remove some.

• 3. Re: Effect categories combining?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If things aren't working, please file a bug report.