9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 7:41 AM by Psinatra

Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks

surfingtheweb

Is there anyway in Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 to split the video tracks into one part of the timeline and then split the audio tracks to a separate part of timeline like in Premiere Elements 3.0.2?

premire9.png

Premiere Elements 9.0 (above) has the Video1 and then Audio1 directly under it and so on.  These are not split.

premiere3.png

Premiere Elements 3.0 (above) has the video and audio tracks separated.

• 1. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
          nealeh Level 5

Right-click the clip and unlink Video/Audio. They then become two separate objects.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
            surfingtheweb Level 1

It's not the clip I want to split, its how the tracks are displayed.  I want the audio to be displayed separately from the video tracks, whether the clips are linked or not.  If you look at the two pictures I have provided, you can see how the timeline differs in the two versions.

• 3. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements now pairs audio and video tracks rather than listing all the video tracks above and all the audio tracks below, as in early versions of the software. There's no real way to change this -- although, by right-clicking on the timeline, you can uncheck either Audio Tracks or Video Tracks so that only one or the other displays.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
                surfingtheweb Level 1

Yeah and this is why I'm going to stick with 3.0.  I'm more of a proffesional editor than a consumer, and while yes I know that Adobe wants to appeal to the beginning video editor, I just wish they would give us the option to choose which way we want to view the timeline.

• 5. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As of PrE 4, one can choose to display just the Audio, or just the Video, but the Audio & Video are now grouped.

PrPro still retains all of the Video above the "centerline," and all of the Audio below. Interesting, but about 1/4 of the users want to group Audio & Video, like PrE 4 and higher. Personally, I like them separated, as I edit Video, and then Audio, in almost all cases. When I'm using my PrE 4, I am always searching for the Audio Tracks, and having to use the scroll bars. It would be nice if one could choose, but having major options in the GUI are not easy to program.

Good luck, and I understand how you feel,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
                    nealeh Level 5

Actually they do give you the option, they just don't make it very clear. The trick is to manually add your video tracks (without audio) then add audio tracks (without video).

1.png

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's a neat trick, Neale! I may try that!

But what happens when you add a video clip that includes audio to one of your video tracks?

• 8. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
                        nealeh Level 5

It's not ideal as it does interrupt the layout so you will need to do some forward planning:

• create your video and audio tracks
                        • get all your assets in place
                        • split the video and audio
                        • drag into place
                        • delete empty tracks

To give you room to 'grow' the project put an empty frame on each video track and a null sound clip on each audio track so that only the unwanted interruptions are deleted when you select 'Delete Empty Tracks'.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: Split Timeline Audio and Video Tracks
                          Psinatra Level 1

I found a way to do this in Adobe Premiere Elements 11

1. Select the audio/video track
                          2. Right-click, select delete audio from the dropdown
                          3. With the audio deleted, use CTRL+Z to un-delete it. Now the audio is de-selected, and the video is selected. The tracks are separated.
                          4. In my case, I needed to cut stuff out of the video track and preserve audio, and am now able to do it without affecting audio.

Hope this helps.