8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 3:55 AM by Harbs.

Scripting Flash

Harbs. Level 6

I have not been able to find a scripting forum for Flash, so please forgive me if this is the wrong forum...

Some of you might have noticed the existance of Script Bay.

It is a free panel for writing and running scripts and it works in the many of the CS programs including Flash. It currently supports ExtendScript and Javascript.

As you might know, the only scripting language that Flash (the application) supports is Javascript. I am implementing AppleScript support in Script Bay for InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. These apps have native support for these languages, so AppleScripts can be used to control the apps.

It is possible to enable support of AppleScript (and maybe VB) in Flash and Fireworks as well, but such support would be of limited use, because the app cannot be controlled as there is no built in support for these languages. It would be possible to control external applications (such as other CS apps, the Finder, system events, etc.). My question is: would such functionality be useful or not?

You can let me know your opinion using this really short survey.

Any responses would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Harbs

• 1. Re: Scripting Flash
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

are you talking about a language to edit fla and as files?

• 2. Re: Scripting Flash
            Harbs. Level 6

I'm talking about jsfl scripts (which automate tasks in Flash (the app)).

Script Bay can run (and edit) jsfl scripts from a panel within Flash (the app). My question is would it be useful to have the same capabilities for AppleScripts?

I don't use Flash much myself, so I don't trust my own opinions here...

Harbs

• 3. Re: Scripting Flash

you want to use flash as the development environment for applescripting?  i don't see the point of that.  surely, there are better environments to use for applescript development.

• 4. Re: Scripting Flash
                Harbs. Level 6

No, that's not what I mean at all.

I'll use an example or two from InDesign which I'm more familiar:

Imagine you have a document (or set of documents) which have many images which need to be processed in some way before the document is exported to pdf (like resampling or have some filter applied, etc.). You really need to invoke the scripting interface of Photoshop from InDesign to have this processing done. Now technically, this can be done using BridgeTalk, but just using applescript: "tell application "Photoshop"... is a whole lot easier!

Another example (which is impossible using ExtendScript or Javascript alone) is batch processing a folder of documents and emailing the resulting pdfs to the correct recipients. The only way to control mail apps on Mac is by using AppleScript.

This is just two of many reasons why you'd need AppleScript while automating InDesign.

If my question is not yet clear enough: is there ever a need/use to control external apps from within Flash? Could you envision the utility of being able to control Photoshop or Illustrator while automating the creation of a swf or fla file? Could controlling Mail or Finder be useful? etc...

Harbs

• 5. Re: Scripting Flash

i understand now.

i believe there could be a use for such a thing.  there would not be many people that would use that but i could envision someone that wants to create dynamic swfs and email them to clients.  (actually, i had a client that wanted to do just that with as few steps, on his part, as possible.  that client used a pc so your work would be directed to a narrower audience.)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Scripting Flash
                    Harbs. Level 6

Thanks for the input.

I actually think I can implement support for Visual Basic as well. It's a bit harder than AppleScript but it probably can be done...

Harbs

• 7. Re: Scripting Flash
                      Harbs. Level 6

For those interested, I've updated Script Bay to include AppleScript support (even for Flash and Fireworks!).

http://in-tools.com/wordpress/script-bay/script-bay-v-0-1-4

Harbs

• 8. Re: Scripting Flash
                        Harbs. Level 6

There's since been anbother update with some more significant improvements. http://in-tools.com/wordpress/script-bay/script-bay-version-0-1-5

Right now, there's an interesting discussion going on over on  the InDesign scripting forum about possible improvements to Script Bay.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3213272#3213272

If anyone has any suggestions, please join in!

Harbs