6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 9:11 AM by Ned Murphy

stupid Flash gobbledegook

GraphicsGeezer Level 1

Flash used to work like a hot damn. Assigning an action to a button was straightforward and easy.

Now it's impossible. You have to write a whole pile of gobbledegook which makes no sense to any human being alive or dead. I've bought at least three books (most of them rewrites of what passes for a manual by Russel Chun) and watched dozens of movies on Lynda.com and I still can't figure it out.

What is the point of this increasing obscurity? Don't they want to sell this product?

• 1. Re: stupid Flash gobbledegook
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are posting in an AS1/2 forum.  Nothing has changed if you still want to work in AS1/2.  If you are trying to learn AS3, yes, it will require quite a bit of learning/adjustment for you if you are geared into the ways that AS1/AS2 allowed you to create.

• 2. Re: stupid Flash gobbledegook
            GraphicsGeezer Level 1

Thanks for your reply, it was actually quite helpful. If I have CS4, how do I make sure I'm working with ActionScript 1 or 2? When I create a new Flash file I have a choice about using A/S 2 or 3 but even if I choose 2, I find some alternatives, like getURL, dimmed in the ActionScript panel. I finally stumbled on the code I needed in an old tutorial on this website and entered it directly in the AS panel with Script Assist turned off. It worked fine. But the two ActionScript manuals and Lynda.com all describe a different way of assigning actions to buttons, invoving the aforementioned gobbledegook.

If you can tell me how to go back to old ActionScript 1 for the few uses I make of Flash, I'd be eternally grateful. The new method of assigning actions to buttons is too complicated for anything I need and I can never make it work now matter how carefully I copy the code from various other sources.

• 3. Re: stupid Flash gobbledegook

To make sure you are working in AS1/2, first be sure to open the file intially as an AS1/2 file, which you say you do.  Then, go into the Publish Settings Flash section and be sure the Actionscript version you want to use is specified.

If you use Script Assist, I can't help you with that much.  I gave up on that shortly after I discovered it when I first started using Flash and have always used the actions panel in the free authoring mode.

As far as the code you use, you pretty much have to be sure you're using the version you intend... there are lots of code offering out there, but very often they aren't in the version you need.  If you search for code using Google or something, try to include the AS version as the first part of the search terms, such as... "AS2 something tutorial", as it will often help find exactly what you're looking for.

• 4. Re: stupid Flash gobbledegook

I should have added... If you really want to be in your comfort zone, then find your old version of Flash and reinstall/use it if it will install.  There is no sin in that and it will probably help keep you happier.

• 5. Re: stupid Flash gobbledegook
                  GraphicsGeezer Level 1

PERFECT! That tip about changing to AS1 in Flash Settings  was all I needed. Thanks!

• 6. Re: stupid Flash gobbledegook

You're welcome