6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 8:09 PM by RileyMclaren

AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7

RileyMclaren

I'm currently trying out the trial edition of After Effects CS5, and all was going well. I was learning how to do Typographys and other animations. Til just recently, AE wouldn't load. The Splash Screen would come up and it would reach 'Initializing Mediacore' and it would just stop and not respond.

Now I have done my research and tried countless different thing to make it work.

I've tried:

• Reinstalling Quicktime.
      • Downgrading Quicktime to 7.3
      • Reinstalling AE CS5
      • Restarting Computer
      • System Restore to when it was working
      • Disabling Firewall and Norton Firewall
      • Running as administrator
      • Using a different user account to trying running AE
      • Removing all the files in the mediacore folder
      • Removing all 3rd Party Codecs (Never had any)

The thing is, I did stop using AE for about a week and in that week I installed two big programs, avast! and ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, I have uninstalled both completely but still no luck.

Adobe Premier Pro too is not working and is getting stuck on 'Loading ExporterQuickTimeHost.prm.

Computer:

Windows 7

4.00 GB Ram

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz

64-bit Operating System

How do I fix this annoying problem?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Adobe Premier Pro too is not working and is getting stuck on 'Loading ExporterQuickTimeHost.prm.

Pretty clear...?! I would assume your virus scanner/ firewall have done something weird to specific Quicktime components and they are permanently flagged or their permissions have been set in such a way that they cannot be accessed. Those tools may also have enabled DEP and ADSLR, which are not compatible with QT and iTunes. Similar could have happened with some recent Windows Updates or QT itself. In any case, I don't see an easy way to fix this. There is certainly something wrong, be it just some Registry key or on the file level. The only way to get to the bottom of this, short of a full W7 reinstall, is to use Sysinternals' Process Monitor, set it to filter on AE and monitor which files and reg keys it accesses. The only other thing might be some issues with QT's hardware acceleration and legacy CoDec compatibilty and that only takes a short trip to the QT system control panel...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7
            RileyMclaren Level 1

Thank you for your response!

Quicktime has been the main calprit for this problem, but what about I'm not sure.

I decided I try and install the Process Monitor you mentioned and filtered it to just AfterFX.exe and to exclude everything that succeded.

In conclusion:

• There were a lot of RegQueryValue that name could not be found or were Buffer Overflow.
            • Plenty of RegOpenKey that name could not be found, too.
            • There were plenty of results that ended in File Locked With Readers Only, but I'm guessing thats okay.
            • And at the very bottom, there is a 'Sharing Violation' for 'com.adobe.dynamiclinkmanagerCS5' and from my research, you need to have the working.

Thank you for your response, I hope this information helps!

Oh dear...

I've also tried getting into QuickTime now and it comes up with 'Error 46: Could not load or find the QuickTime ActiveX control.' This... Isn't good.

Message was edited by: RileyMclaren

• 3. Re: AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7

• There were a lot of RegQueryValue that name could not be found or were Buffer Overflow.
              • Plenty of RegOpenKey that name could not be found, too.
              • There were plenty of results that ended in File Locked With Readers Only, but I'm guessing thats okay.

Yes, these things are normal. It just probes for CoDecs and all that and if nothing's there, then nothing's there. This is in part Windows itself querying secondary references. Nothing to worry about here. Your otehr issues would seem to further solidify suspicions about possible security issues. Sounds like the relevant registry keys got locked and now even reinstalling QT will not work, because it can't update those keys. You can of course manually set their permissions just like you would do with files, but it's a rather tedious process and may cost you a good afternoon...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7
                RileyMclaren Level 1

I have done many tedious tasks on computers, so how would I go 'unlocking' these registry files? Thank you again

• 5. Re: AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7

Open regedit.exe, then check you Local_Machine\Software\ branch. Install info should be in Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall and the Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall sub-branches Since you will not be able to make much sense of the individual alphanumeric keys, I suggest you simply take posession of the parent keys and the child keys will inherit this. A short explanation of the process is here. Once you have full control over the keys, any installer shoudl be able to remove or overwrite them without problems. Just be warned - this may pose a security risk. there's a reason that b default these keys are modifiable by "System" only...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: AE CS5 stops @ 'Initializing Mediacore' Windows 7
                    RileyMclaren Level 1

Well, thank you for your help, I really do appreicate to helping! I had enough (and noticed other software wasn't working, like my Graphics Tablet) so I restored my computer to Factory Settings. Drastic, yes, but I like fresh starts. Thank you anyways