6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 10:09 AM by Stan Jones

"Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?

N-C-M-T

I have for some years been missing quite seriously a tool for preparation of a "Voice over" text, to be "narrated" over some existing video inside Premiere Pro.

Quite frequently video has to be ”commented” or ”narrated”, based on a more or less ready-made edited movie-stream. Especially if you have old (converted/digitised) material - which has to be explained for the (new) audience (old 8mm movies e.g.) - or ”news” just coming in - and having to be presented with a proper speaker comment - according to the video-stream.

This can be quite a tedious task - as comments must be highly synchronised with the varying scenes in the movie-stream - in quite a precise way - within fractions of seconds in tolerance!

I have used some home made "work arounds" - but have also prepared a quite spcific proposal for the interface and functionality of suct a tool inside Premiere Pro - and I would like very much to have some feedback - and at thd end being able to inspire Adobe to realise the importance of such a tool.

Having just been presented briefly for the upcoming ”Story-tool” in CS5 - it in fact appears to me, that such a ”Voice Over tool” would be a quite natural extension to this Story-tool - further adding the dimension of easy preparation of the base for ”dubbing/after synchronisation” of voices in another language.

If this has anybodies interest - please mail me [tolle@oncable.dk] - and I will return you the proposal (a 800KByte .pdf file) for commenting and (hopefully) support.

Below is a sample page from the proposal

Sample page.JPG

• 1. Re: "Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Maybe I'm not understanding what exactly it is you're saying here, but I do VOs on occasion that need to precisely follow the video.  I've had no trouble with Premiere's ability to playback a sequence and record the VO to that same sequence.

• 2. Re: "Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?
            shooternz Level 6

I also dont fully understand what you are suggesting but maybe an autocue like 'Prompt

Dog' would help you .

BTW - I do endorse PromptDog as an excellent, effective and cheap autocue. software.  It is feature laden and simple.

• 3. Re: "Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?
              N-C-M-T Level 1

Hi - and thanks a lot for the response -

The tool is meant to be used for writing / authoring the text for the Voice Over - not recording the voice and rendering the final video. What I need is a tool for being able to create/write a text matching the the shifting scenes in the video-stream (seing the (single) video-pictures as they progres along with my writing along) .

This text has afterwards to be read ("telepromted") into the video-stream (here I have no problem with the present functionality).

Hence - it is in the "authoring" phase the tool is needed - when you are going to create a text to a given (edited) video-sequence - a text which - read form the manuscript ("telepromt") will match the pace and progression in the sequence of scenes - the single phrases not being too long - not too short. As it is described in my outline, one has amongst other things - to feed in as a parameter to the tool, the (very) average "number of characters pr. second" one is able to read when recording the soundtrack (depends on language and person) - to make the "telepromt-text" scroll along in the right speed during recording - presenting the proper text upon the proper scene at the right time.

Hope this explain things a little more - (please give feedback) - I really see this as avery helpful tool in the authoring phase of Voice Over - but - stlll, to se the full picture - I think its a good idea to get my .pdf intoduction.

Best regards

Niels

• 4. Re: "Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?
                N-C-M-T Level 1

Hi - thanks a lot for the reply - please see my answer to Jim Simon

Best regards

Niels

• 5. Re: "Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  The tool is meant to be used for writing / authoring the text for the Voice Over

I'm still not getting it.  In those situations, Word or even Notepad seem more than sufficient.

one has amongst other things - to feed in as a parameter to the tool, the (very) average "number of characters pr. second" one is able to read when recording the soundtrack

Man, that sounds like a lot of work.  You're at best going to come up with a very rough average with a pretty significant spread.  At worst the reader will vary so much as to make such a calculation impossible.

I'd rather just tweak the VO after recording if need be.

to make the "telepromt-text" scroll along in the right speed during recording

VOs are usually read from a printed script.  If you need a teleprompter, that means the speaker is on camera, not doing a VO to an underlying video segment.

• 6. Re: "Voice over" text editor in Premiere Pro ?
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most Premiere users doing VOs are not looking for the degree of precision you are interested in.  Yes, it would be an interesting extension of Story, but I wonder if it will make prime time.

One issue for any non-adobe-integrated option is that Premiere is not going to keep playing/recording if you do anything else on that computer.  And running a second computer (to run the "tool") might be tricky for sync?

A workaround of sorts would be to a) write the script and b) time it the way some users do music sync: tap the asterisk key to put a sequence marker in for key timing locations.  I'm just keying up to speed on CS5, but I don't think they have added a "move sequence markers with ripple edits" feature yet.  So that wouldn't work without having the timeline pretty complete.