4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 10:18 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Rotoscoping to add ghost effect? HELP!!!

richcampent Level 1

I am working on a project where I need to create a ghostly effect. I have CS5 and used Rotoscoping to slect the actors and add the effect.

However, sometimes the selection process is amazing! it doesn't need to be to the edge perfect but the rotoscope mask sometimes juts out or wiggles a lot which looks weird.

I was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions for how to fix this? Whether it be settings or tips for using rotoscope? or a whole new selection method.

I really need to get this working and I've attempted to go through frame by frame and fix the rtoscope too many times... thanks!

• 1. Re: Rotoscoping to add ghost effect? HELP!!!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your terminology is unclear. "Rotoscoping" covers all techniques and processes used to isolate elements in the footage, not just a single one. per haps you rather mean "Rotobrush"? That would make a lot more sense based on your description and that already takes us to the center of it all: You used it on compressed footage and naturally the automatic edge detection will therefore yield rather crude results due to the blocking and jitter all the way. You can paint for another hundred years and it won't go away. It's just how the tool works. Therefore, manually adding an additional level of cleanup using conventional paint tools or masks animated frame by frame is the only way to resolve the issue. There is no simple answer here. Salvaging a poorly shot scene is just a ton of work. Of course, if you can, simply reshoot using a green screen, otherwise you may wish to cancel all your social activities for the next few days and dig yourself in trying to fix this...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rotoscoping to add ghost effect? HELP!!!
            richcampent Level 1

Thank you for your quick response...that's some unfortunate news. Some shots it works very nicely others it just varies way too much. Is there anyway to draw a mask around person and track all the points thru the shot? Would that be better? Thanks

• 3. Re: Rotoscoping to add ghost effect? HELP!!!
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can track roto shapes using the version of mocha that comes with every AE CS5. That data can be exported from there and then imported into AE. The masks themselves cannot deform, so for finetuning you will have to convert them to nativce AE masks and still partially hand-animate them.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Rotoscoping to add ghost effect? HELP!!!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions for how to fix this? Whether it be settings or tips for using rotoscope?

Here's a page dedicated to that purpose, with links to many tutorials, sample chapters, and other resources. If you patiently work your way through these resources, you'll be in good shape. Rotoscoping is an involved set of techniques and skills, so don't expect to get it right the first time. It takes learning and practice.