2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2007 6:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director MX - problem with polish font

Hi everybody!
      I have some applications made with Director MX 2004, and I have to convert the writings to polish language. I have the translations in a word .doc file, and I found out that when I paste the text into Director, the accented and special polish letters don't display in Director correctly. It shows the empty square or strange wrong characters, as it could not map the font correctly. I tried to embed the font, but it still does not work. At first I thought I messed up with the font, as the font was manually edited to add the special letters (but the font does work in every other application... photoshop, flash, word et cetera).
      But the problem remains even if I use/embed a "standard" window font like Times New Roman, Arial and so on. It seems that Director is refusing to use correctly the font, even if I embed it entirely as full set.

Now, is there a solution to this? Is it "normal"? Or have I to resign myself and convert all the text to images...which means LOT of pain :(

Thank you in advance,
      Bl@de
        • 1. Re: Director MX - problem with polish font
          Level 7
          The current version of Director does not support Unicode text. That is
          one of the most requested features, and one that the good folks at Adobe
          have stated will be a part of the next version of Director (which is
          supposed to be released in the 2nd half of 2007.

Until that happens, there is no good way to make Director use extended
          character sets natively. The standard work around is to put the text
          into Flash and publish swf files that you can bring into Director.
          Also, as you said, it is possible to use them if you turn the text into
          bitmaps. Neither of those options are ideal, but until the next
          Director version, that's about all we have.
          • 2. Re: Director MX - problem with polish font
            Level 7
            Have a look at:
            http://xtrema.rtr.gr/cDown/files/xTextMem_convertToAnsi.rar

This includes both a new unicode rtf member, and a method to convert unicode
            text to ansi text that director can display.
            The text member can display any language and also supports embedding images.
            The conversion will not work if the text includes multi-byte characters -
            you'll be prompted if such characters exist.

So, try if it works for your docs, and then we'll see what we can do so that
            > ..which means LOT of pain..
            does not happen.

P.S. Hyperlink translation was not enabled in the Xtra version used by the
            app.

"Blade75" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f9c14e$1rs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi everybody!
            > I have some applications made with Director MX 2004, and I have to convert
            > the
            > writings to polish language. I have the translations in a word .doc file,
            > and I
            > found out that when I paste the text into Director, the accented and
            > special
            > polish letters don't display in Director correctly. It shows the empty
            > square
            > or strange wrong characters, as it could not map the font correctly. I
            > tried to
            > embed the font, but it still does not work. At first I thought I messed up
            > with
            > the font, as the font was manually edited to add the special letters (but
            > the
            > font does work in every other application... photoshop, flash, word et
            > cetera).
            > But the problem remains even if I use/embed a "standard" window font like
            > Times New Roman, Arial and so on. It seems that Director is refusing to
            > use
            > correctly the font, even if I embed it entirely as full set.
            >
            > Now, is there a solution to this? Is it "normal"? Or have I to resign
            > myself
            > and convert all the text to images...which means LOT of pain :(
            >
            > Thank you in advance,
            > Bl@de
            >