2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 8:57 PM by Tai Lao

How to use DNG profiles without buying Lightroom/Photoshop?

houseofscorpio

I bought a ColorChecker Passport. All I want to achieve is accurate color reproduction and white balancing. I don't need Photoshop or Lightroom. Is there a cheaper solution to apply DNG profiles to my photos?

• 1. Re: How to use DNG profiles without buying Lightroom/Photoshop?
          Level 4

The white balance is going to have to be determined after you apply the DNG profile, provided you can use such a profile in your raw conversion software.

What programs do you have available now?

• 2. Re: How to use DNG profiles without buying Lightroom/Photoshop?
            Level 4

For your edification, you may want to read this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3179969?tstart=0#3179969

especially post #9 by Jeff Schewe:

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Actually, if you think about it, you really WOULDN'T want a DNG profile to alter the white balance of an image...that would seriously limit the usefulness of that profile. DNG profiles are designed to adjust the color and tone rendering of a given camera's spectral response. However, white balance is a shot by shot situation.

So, DNG profiles specifically DON'T take white balance into consideration. If they did, you could only use that profile for single white balance situations. The whole camera profiling issue is made far more complex than profiling a printer. You need a camera profile that allows color and tone adjustments over a broader range of light sources...compared to a printer that should remain consistent given a specific paper and printer setting.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了