6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 2:09 PM by A.T. Romano

Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.

AaronRaderIN

I purchased Premiere Elements 8 yesterday.  In the last 2 days, I have spent approximately 8 hours trying to blur someone's face in a short clip.  I cannot figure out how to do it.  I have read other posts here on this forum.  I cannot get the tutorials to play either.  On the front of the box it reads, "[e]ffortlessly create incredible movies."  Seriously?

Does anyone have any clear and concise directions on how to blur a face using this software?  I just need to make sure that the person cannot be identified.  I don't care about the different "blurs."

I have tried manual motion tracking and then adding a yellow smiley face from clipart, but the tracking is not good.  Anywhere from 2 to 10 rectangles pop up.  After I delete those, the remaining rectangle does not do a very good job of tracking the object (the guy's head).  I would be willing to blur each and every frame if I could figure out how to do that as well.

I'm beginning to feel like I got ripped off.

• 1. Re: Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Tough it was written for a version of Pr, that is earlier, than PrElements, this TUTORIAL will give you the general details. Some things will now be in different places, but the theory is exactly the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I give you step-by-step instructions for doing this in my book "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Premiere Elements", available on Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

In fact, have a look at the chapter sample on the products page: http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

The chapter deals specifically with dealing with the Track Matte.

If you like these exercises, maybe you'll want to pick up a copy of the book!

• 3. Re: Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.
              digiday Level 1

To Bill Hunt,

I guess the tutorial that you provided the link to in 2010 on this thread is long gone.  I'm trying to do something similar in Premiere Pro 2... blur, pixelate or block an object that is moving, growing in size and changing its perspective to the camera.  What I've done is kind of crude, which is creating a little white box on a layer in a PSD, placed that over the video, then I get a keyframe motion path by changing the placement, the size and the rotation of that little white box every few frames.

That is very time consuming, and that's not even being too picky about resulting the shape of the white box as it moves and changes to cover the object to be obscured in the video... and now I've gotta wait about 4 hours to see the rendered result while it's rendering.

I didn't get an answer on the question that I posted today in this forum specifically about this, so, can you tell me if there is some kind of feature or better way to do this in Premiere Pro 2?

Thanks,

digi

• 4. Re: Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

digiday

Bill Hunt has not posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum for several months now and you are posting in a 4 year old thread and asking a Premiere Pro question.

So, under the circumstances, it would seem to be toward your advantage to post your question in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum.

Premiere Pro CC

You wrote

I didn't get an answer on the question that I posted today in this forum specifically about this, so, can you tell me if there is some kind of feature or better way to do this in Premiere Pro 2?

I have not seen that thread. I will look for it. But, if you seek a how to for a Premiere Pro task, then, even if I had seen it, I would point you to the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum.

ATR

Add On...Further investigation revealed that someone (probably a moderator) moved your mentioned thread from the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum to the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum because you were asking a Premiere Pro question. I found your earlier already in the Adobe Premiere Elements Pro Forum moments ago.

Is there a "blur moving object" feature in Premiere Pro 2, like for pixelating a moving face?

• 5. Re: Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.
                  digiday Level 1

Okay, A.T.,

I did originally post my question on a new thread in the Adobe Premiere Pro forum yesterday, and some overly efficient, bored moderator moved it to to the Premiere Pro CS4 & Earlier section.

Is there a "blur moving object" feature in Premiere Pro 2, like for pixelating a moving face?

Based on my past experience in the last couple years on this forum, Bill Hunt was always around and willing to answer almost any question, whether he'd actually read the question completely or not... that's why I asked him on this thread, and because this thread was linked next to my original posted question... I think that's why the Adobe forum software places what it interprets as similar questions next to anyone's posted question... that's why I posted on this thread, and I don't think that's against the forum rules.

I've replied to questions on my threads a year or two years, and longer, after the thread was last active, and I didn't get mad about it, I welcomed it... and I managed to help some people occasionally.

It seems that the only answers I can get these days here are from people who want to tell me where better to place my question and why I shouldn't be asking it at all.

Thanks,

digi

• 6. Re: Blur Face:  Both face and camcorder are moving.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

digiday

Thanks for the reply.

The goal is for you to get the most reliable and the best possible answer for the question that you ask. And, every question warrants an answer if the person asking does not have that answer. Under the circumstances already mentioned, I believed that you should have been best served posting your Premiere Pro 2 question in the Premiere Pro Forum rather than the Premiere Elements Forum.

My interests are in troubleshooting, not in editorializing. But, I cannot help but mention the irony of this type of situation. I see Premiere Pro people posting here in Premiere Elements Forum to give Premiere Pro answers to Premiere Elements questions. But, then, where are they in the Premiere Pro Forum when Premiere Pro users need help? If I used Premiere Pro I would gladly go the extra mile for you to answer your question. I am strictly an Elements Windows user.

OK, I have done some homework on blurring faces in images in Premiere Pro 2 - have you used the workflow

Video 3 Track Matte created in the Titler or Photoshop Elements as png or psd.

Video 2 Your Footage to which the Keying effect Track Matte has been applied - setting for that

Video 1 Your footage with the Mosaic Effect applied to it (See Video Effects/Stylize/Mosaic)

Followed by keyframing the Track Matte on Video 3 to follow the object on Video 2.

In Premiere Elements there is an "Effects Mask" that might be applicable, but at this time I have no idea if this feature is available in Premiere Pro 2.

Hope the second hand information helps.

ATR