32 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 9:19 PM by Ed.Macke

Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

pauleveritt

I have been using both CS2 (for SD work) about 4 years and CS4 (for HD work) for 1 year.  I have not used Elements before.

I took Premiere Elements out to a live event to test it.  The results were DISASTEROUS!  DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Be warned.  The Premiere Elements watermarks all graphics and titles and the like.  The web site does not tell you this.  I would have purchased the product for this test had I known about the water marking.

Equipment:

Dell Studio 15, i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA drive running Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit.  This is a purpose purchased laptop that is about two weeks old.  JVC miniDV deck connected to the firewire port of the Studio 15 through an ADS A/D converter to capture miniDV tapes.  I know this set up is completely reliable as I use it on my CS2 Premiere desktop at home.

Test:

Capture seven minutes of video, add opening graphics, closing graphics, burn to a DVD.

Test results:

PRE 9 would sometimes failed to recognise my miniDV deck.  I was able to capture about 14 minutes of video without a problem.  As the tape continued to capture, a frame was dropped and the captured stopped.  The "stop capture on dropped frame" box WAS NOT CHECKED!!!!!  This ended the effort to capture additional footage onsite.  I experienced several lock ups.  Any attempt to add my graphic resulted in the water marking issue noted above.  I was able to burn DVDs reliably and they tested good.

Keep in mind that ANY edits, graphics, transitions, etc add watermarking to your project.  Also keep in mind that you can not get a refund on software purchases!  Keep in mind that Elements packages have been notorious for additional bugs beyond the normal bugs usually found in Adobe products.

The test failed due to frequent lock ups and the inability to capture footage.  I was testing Elements 9 for the role of a simple editor for producing DVDs during live events.  My tests found that the product is unstable with frequent lockups and the inability to reliably capture footage.

My advance.  Do not buy this program. 

• 1. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
          i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Hey Paul,

Even I've used the trial version of PRE 9 and yes, watermarking is there in all the graphics etc, but I guess that's the way it has been desogned. That would prevent malicious use of the software. The watermarking is not present if you buy the product.

What do you mean by frequent lockups while capturing footage? I also use a DV tape camera and I am able to capture my footages all the time without any hiccups. Is your camera setting and project setting correct?

• 2. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
            nealeh Level 5

I'm sorry that you could not make PRE9 work with your system and if you are totally alienated against it stop reading now. But if you want to improve your chances of success with the trial version read on.

Premiere Elements watermarks all graphics and titles and the like.  The web site does not tell you this.

I too have been unable to find, simply, a statement that that is a trial limitation. Note also that others have been finding that not all output formats are available if they require third-party licensing.

This is a purpose purchased laptop that is about two weeks old.

Meaning that your drivers and essential windows updates will be out of date.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
            As the tape continued to capture, a frame was dropped and the captured stopped.

The capture component does have that annoying habit (I use PRE7 at present and it's a shame to hear that this problem has not yet been fixed). For complete capture, without stops, the freeware WinDV or Exsate DV Capture Live both work well to capture a DV-AVI Type 2 file that can be loaded straight into PRE.

Also keep in mind that you can not get a refund on software purchases!

I guess that depends on the consumer law in your own country. In the USA Adobe offer a thirty-day money back scheme.

PRE 9 would sometimes failed to recognise my miniDV deck.

That could be a hardware problem. Are you able to test any other FireWire products with your laptop (e.g. a scanner or camcorder)?

The test failed due to frequent lock ups and the inability to capture footage.

That could be that your machine is not optimized best for PRE. In addition to the above suggestions

• Run Disk Cleanup.
            • Run Defragmenter.
            • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
            • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think Neale said it all. Yours may or may not be typical results. They're certainly not my results, and I'm using it on some much slower equipment!

(BTW, why are you running your miniDV through a Pyro unit? It's no wonder the program can't find it! The program is designed to connect directly to miniDV camcorders!)

Anyway, if you're here for help, I'm sure we can help you.

But if you just want to show up here and trash the program -- thanks for sharing. Hope you find what you're looking for.

• 4. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                pauleveritt Level 1

The web site did not mention watermarks.

I am going to recapture the tapes to the same laptop in a more CONTROLLED

environment to see where in the change the problem is.  I have three other

IDENTICAL laptops I will use for testing.  We'll see.

• 5. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                  pauleveritt Level 1

As a 30+ year computer person, I know to update new equipment.  I spent

about six hours on each machine updating Windows, BIOS, drivers, loading up

Quicktime, etc.  The machine was ready to go.

Having to go to FREEWARE to fix a problem in PRE 9 that does NOT exist in

the PRO edition is ridiculous and someone should be fired at Adobe.  We pay

FAR too much for this software to have to put up with this kind of CRAP!

This is a brand new machine that ONLY runs PRE 9.  It does not need to be

DEFRAGed or the like.  It should work.

I am currently capturing these same tapes on my CS2 Premiere Pro machine

flawlessly.

I am going to repeat the test with the three other IDENTICAL laptops to see

if it is machine specific.

• 6. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It is probably because the watermark on the trial has always been the way, that many here do not go looking for any statement of limitations. I would anticipate that Adobe would make that point clear, as they do with the limitations of the PrPro trials - it has zero MPEG support, though no watermarks. While the statement of limitation in PrPro is not done in large neon letters, it is listed on the trial Web site. Adobe is looking into changing the way the trial for PrPro works, to include a watermark too, but to enable MPEG support. As many elements in PrE and PrPro are licensed through other parties, like MainConcept, Adobe has to work within the licensing restrictions of those companies. They also cannot be expected to pay a licensing fee for free trials, as the tester may not purchase the program.

One thing that Adobe does offer is a 30-day, money-back guarantee. If one buys the programs, they have 30 days to test the full, unrestricted version, and can return it for a refund, if not 100% satisfied.

Sorry that the watermark became an issue with you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                      pauleveritt Level 1

Like I said in my post, I am a multi version multi year Premiere Pro user.

I am currently capturing the same tapes on my CS2 machine using the same

deck flawlessly.

Premiere Elements 9 is the brand new version.  Adobe has a TERRIBLE history

of releasing programs that are full of bugs and then fixing them later.  I

attended NAB in Las Vegas this year and heard MANY other people complaining

about their customer service.  The Adobe rep was heard to say repeatedly,

"We're aware of the problem and we are working on it."

I am developing a new application for my company to be able to capture,

build, and burn live event DVDs onsite.  I don't need the horsepower and can

not bear the cost of the PRO editions for four to five laptops and still

make money charging $25 per disk.  I tried the NEW Elements 9 in a very

simple senario and it failed miserably in the hands of a very experienced

user.  After I clean up the backlog caused by this failure, I will revisit

the testing under more controlled environment.  In the meantime, NO ONE

should be buying PRE 9.  They should stick with PRE 8 or the Pro versions.

So what would you suggest I do to make PRE 9 trial version capture reliably

and work properly?

• 8. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                        visionp1

pauleveritt wrote:

Premiere Elements 9 is the brand new version.  Adobe has a TERRIBLE history

of releasing programs that are full of bugs and then fixing them later.  I

attended NAB in Las Vegas this year and heard MANY other people complaining

about their customer service.  The Adobe rep was heard to say repeatedly,

"We're aware of the problem and we are working on it."

So does Microsoft, but everyone seems to work through the issues with their software. It's software, and guess what, someone's always going to find a bug in it, and there is no way to test for every single system architecture or software configuration.

I don't think this one is entirelay an Adobe issue though - yes, there are some bugs in PRE9 (I have the trial also) but I think the issues that the original poster are seeing are more related to Windows 7 than actually PRE9.  I have the trial running on an XP64 setup and it's stable, and has had no problem finding all of my hardware.

I posted on another thread of a user having issues with crashing and hardware, and I've been through the game before. That's why I went back to xp64. Oh darn, I lost the pretty faders in windows, but my system is (ok, for the most part) super stable.

• 9. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                          Ed.Macke Level 3

JVC miniDV deck connected to the firewire port of the Studio 15 through an ADS A/D converter to capture miniDV tapes.

Just curious... I have a Sony miniDV and connect directly with Firewire (i.e. a cable goes from my Firewire port to the camcorder). I'm not sure what role a Analog-To-Digital converter would play.

Keep in mind that ANY edits, graphics, transitions, etc add watermarking to your project.

If memory serves, the watermarking is only added at the output stage. It is not added to your imported source material, so if you purchase a license for the product, you can create the DVD again and the watermark will not be there. I could be wrong - it's been years since I used the trial version....

The Premiere Elements watermarks all graphics and titles and the like.  The web site does not tell you this.

Yeah, Adobe probably should put up a notice. It would cost them absolutely nothing, and prevent a lot of questions and ill-will... seems like a no-brainer.

• 10. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                            Ed.Macke Level 3
                            I think the issues that the original poster are seeing are more related to Windows 7 than actually PRE9.

That may be one thing the WinDV freeware can help with.

If WinDV can capture the input fine and PRE9 can't, that would seem to point to an PRE problem. Conversely, if WinDV fails about the same as PRE9's capture, that would point to an OS/hardware problem.

• 11. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                              visionp1 Level 1

Ed.Macke wrote:

I think the issues that the original poster are seeing are more related to Windows 7 than actually PRE9.

That may be one thing the WinDV freeware can help with.

If WinDV can capture the input fine and PRE9 can't, that would seem to point to an PRE problem. Conversely, if WinDV fails about the same as PRE9's capture, that would point to an OS/hardware problem.

I agree 100% Ed. (And the other post questioniong the A/D converter.) Unless Paul doesn't have FW input?

-BN

• 12. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

Paul, this is not a contest.

The people on this forum (including me, the forum host) do not work for Adobe and we don't make a penny being here. We're here offering help because we sincerely want to help.

So it might be nice if you'd make a bit more effort to work with us instead and slamming us with challenge after challenge.

I can assure you (and many others can too) that this software does work, and it works quite well.

I'm not sure what's going on on your system -- but it is resolveable, if you're interested.

Just please treat us as your colleagues instead of as the enemy and I'm sure we'll make much more progress.

If you're interested, that is. If you just want to trash the software, there are alternative apps out there at a similar price, and they may be worth checking out.

• 13. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                  pauleveritt Level 1

The issue with the A/D converter is that ALL my firewire ports got ruined by a Videonics MX PRO switcher.  The AD converter is the only one that survived!  It works GREAT on my CS2 machine.

• 14. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                    pauleveritt Level 1

Ok.  Let's get specific.  How do I handle the issue of the capture stopping on dropped frames when the box is not checked?

• 15. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

First of all, I agree with Steve on the point that we are all here to help each other since we use the same product. So lets not slam down a product just because you are facing one issue.

Coming to your point, can you please confirm/answer the following questions:

1. On the same laptop, you are able to capture using Premiere Pro but not PRE 9 ?

2. When you say that sometimes PRE does not recognize your camera, at that point does the hardware recognize your camera? Are you able to see it   in  the My Computer> Device manager ?

3. Is the checkbox for "Report dropped frames" checked or unchecked?

• 16. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

Another curious question: why are there dropped frames? Is the data in your tape corrupt?

• 17. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                          pauleveritt Level 1

1. The laptop has never had Premiere Pro loaded on it, only PRE 9 trial.

2. I captured 14 minutes of footage on the laptop.  This tells me that the

basic set up is working.  PRE stopped capturing on a dropped frame.

3. The Report dropped frames box was checked.  The stop capturing on dropped

frames was not checked.

Adobe still has a LONG history of releasing unstable programs on an

unsuspecting public.

• 18. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                            pauleveritt Level 1

Dropped frame can be caused by a bad stop on the tape or a dirty read head

on the camera or both.

• 19. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                              nealeh Level 5

pauleveritt wrote:

The issue with the A/D converter is that ALL my firewire ports got ruined by a Videonics MX PRO switcher.

You said earlier this was a brand new laptop, so presumably it has a functioning F/W port. Take the A/D Converter out of the loop and capture direct from your camcorder.

As I said earlier yes, PRE can have problems capturing continuous video from tape sources via a converter. I get this all the time capturing VHS tape through my ADVC300 converter. If you capture direct from your camcorder you should avoid this problem. If you have to use the converter (like others I don't understand why you should) then you should look at the two pieces of software I linked to earlier. They both basically do the same thing but WinDV does not allow you to preview sound during capture whereas Exsate DV Captue Live does.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 20. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                pauleveritt Level 1

As I said in another post, neither my camera (which I would NEVER use as a

capture deck) nor my miniDV deck have a working Firewire port.  They were

both plugged into a Videonics MX-PRO switcher which damaged their Firewire

ports.  My CS2 computer captures from the same deck and converter all day

long without a hitch.  Even my CS4 machine gets along with it just fine.

Its a PRE 9 issue.

• 21. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

Paul, are you actually looking for help or are you just wanting to trash the program?

You seem to answer every suggestion with another reason why you hate the program or Adobe or why the problem is with Premiere Elements and not your computer.

This program does run -- and runs very well on both Macs and PCs, when properly configured.

But if all you want to do is tell us that it's Adobe's problems, not yours, then I'm wondering what you want from us.

Why not find another program? Vegas MovieStudio, for instance, is comparably priced and is very stable.

As far as Adobe and Premiere Elements, you've made your point many times over, and you've succeeded in frustration a number of people who put a lot of their hours into trying to help people on this forum for no compensation whatsoever.

Seriously. If you're so sure Premiere Elements stinks, why keep pounding on it? Move on. There are alternatives out there.

• 22. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                    nealeh Level 5

That wasn't clear - it seemed you were saying the F/W ports on your PC's were burnt, not the devices.

Looking at your other posts on these forums are you still trying to do your Dance Competitions? If so why even bother with PRE? Create a mini network with a $20 router, capture your raw footage with Win DV, DV Live Capture, or HDV Split (all free) and create your saleable items with your current CS# version.

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This Adobe KB Article, which is a list of the limitations of the PrE 9 trial was just released.

Hunt

• 24. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

You can probably try once by unchecking the "Report dropped frames" checkbox. You ahve CS4 which captures from the same tape, so why do you even want to use PRE 9.0 ?

I agree with Steve, it looks like you just want to slam down Adobe and PRE,whereas things are working fine for us and for lot of others on this forum.

Yes, there can be some glitches here and there and that's why we are all here to discuss and resolve issues.

• 25. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                          pauleveritt Level 1

Steve,

I get your point.  I have hundreds of hours of experience with Adobe products and thousands of dollars invested in Adobe products.  I don't WANT to have to go to another program in order to get my work done.  Instead of being a apologist for Adobe, why don't you and ever one else make Adobe live up to its potiental by holding their feet to the fire and having them do complete and proper Quality Control and Testing on their products before they are released? 

Adobe is NOT Microsoft.  Adobe does not move the buttons around for the sake of moving buttons around.  However, Adobe has a decade long reputation of releasing unstable products.  Now that they have outsourced their technical support to India, the technical support is less skilled than you or I.

Now that I am no longer in a real time situation on-site and am working on my CS2 and CS4 equipment, everything is running quite smoothly.  I will take the laptops and recreate the hardware configuration that I tried to use onsite.  I have four identical laptops and will try with more than one of them.  If a port is weak, I have a full three year warranty on these Dell Studio 15 laptops for just that reason.

When I first started using Premiere Pro 1.5, it worked well.  When Microsoft released XP Service Pac 1, it stopped working altogether.  I spent a good amount of time on the phone with then North American based installation technical support.  I had already done a clean installation of XP and then a clean installation of Premiere Pro 1.5.  I had already verified that adding Service Pac 1 caused Premiere Pro 1.5 to stop working.  I asked the support technician why Adobe just did not issue a statement saying not to use Service Pac 1 with Premiere Pro 1.5.  The technician said in a rather down trodden voice words to the effect of "We want to, but they won't let us."  It is this kind of corporate behavior that had people at Adobe's National Association of Broadcasters booth strongly complaining about the quality of Adobe customer service. I stand by my contention that if Adobe has released a new version of the program early and it has bugs in it and should be called to account for them. 

I don't let corporations off the hook for shoddy work. 

• 26. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!

Sorry, Paul. I stilll don't get it.

If  I go to a dealership and test drive a Ford Focus and find it doesn't do  what I want it to do, I don't go around complaining to other Ford  owners that their cars suck.

I go down the street to a Honda dealership and get a Honda instead.

If you hate Fords so much, why do you keep insisting that they build a better Focus and instead go buy a Honda.

It doesn't make sense to claim brand loyalty if you hate the brand so much!

• 27. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                              pauleveritt Level 1

The Laptops are brand new and their firewire ports are fine.

My Sony PD150, Panasonic GS70 cameras, and my JVC SR-VS30 miniDV all have defective firewire ports because of being plugged into a Videonics MX-PRO switcher.  Because of this, I use a ADS Pyro A/D converter to take S-Video and RCA off of these devices and into my computer via Firewire.  This sets works fine on my CS2 decktop and my CS4 desktop.

This day happen to be a Marching Band competition, but later this year, I will be doing dance and cheer.  I will be connecting these four laptops in a network.  One will capture video from camera 1, one will capture video from camera 2, one will be used for playback and project creation, and the final laptop will be burning DVDs.  Purchasing four licenses of Premiere Pro CS5 is cost prohibitive.  An operational requirement of our setup is to have complete redundancy for our systems.  As these cameras can include HD using AVCHD codex, PRE 8 is not up to the challenge, hence my desire to use PRE 9.

• 28. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                                pauleveritt Level 1

My business model will not support them cost of four copies of Premiere Pro CS5.  The intent is to go to live events are produce DVDs onsite for immediate delivery.  I also don't need to the heavy duty editing power of full Premiere Pro.

In answer to your question, it experienced the stopped of the capture with "Report dropped frames" checked and unchecked.  At no time was the "stop capture on dropped frames" checked.

• 29. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                                  nealeh Level 5

pauleveritt wrote:

This day happen to be a Marching Band competition, but later this year, I will be doing dance and cheer.  I will be connecting these four laptops in a network.  One will capture video from camera 1, one will capture video from camera 2, one will be used for playback and project creation, and the final laptop will be burning DVDs.  Purchasing four licenses of Premiere Pro CS5 is cost prohibitive.

My point was that, for the laptops capturing video, you don't need PRE, you can do it with free software, keeping your costs down.

I'm done with this discussion now.

Bye,
                                                                  --
                                                                  Neale

• 30. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                                    Ed.Macke Level 3

I'm a little confused on the exact setup, but I'm with Neale...

If laptop 1 and laptop 2 are doing nothing but video capture (and presumably transferring the source material to laptop 3?) then PrE is complete overkill. Get some freeware (e.g. WinDV) to do the capture.

And if laptop 4 is doing nothing but DVD creation, that means that Laptop 3 will have to "burn to disk" and copy the file to Laptop 4, and Laptop 4 can simply use a copy of ImgBurn for DVD creation (again, free).

Unless I'm missing something, Laptop 3 is the only PC to require PrE. The other laptops could use freeware which in addition to being free would actually get the job done better and faster. That seems like a win-win, no?

I agree that PrE's strong suit is not source capture nor DVD burning - it usually does OK, but it definitely seems like Adobe phoned it in on those features. However, give Adobe a break. All software (unless it's a "uni-tasker" like WinDV) has some area that third-party software can usually improve upon - otherwise there wouldn't be any third-party software. Even Photoshop allows for plug-ins to do things that it can't do, or that somebody else can do better - and that's their flagship product.

• 31. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                                      pauleveritt Level 1

Thank you Ed.  Seeing the statement, "...but it definitely seems like Adobe

phoned it in on those features" encourages my soul.

I need four identifical setups.  When I drive nonstop overnight from Denver

to Minneapolis (or Austin or Las Vegas or where ever) I have to make sure

that everything is working well.  If a laptop fails during an event, I can

not run out and buy software.  I may not have Internet access to download to

an alternate machine.  This system has to be bullet proof.  If PRE 9 does

not run very well on a brand new Dell Studio 15 i3 machine running Windows 7

Home Premium 64 bit with 4 GB of RAM and a 7200 RPM HD, I need to know that.

So does the general buying public.  Making my livelihood dependent on

freeware is not my idea of a good time.  Old technology not withstanding, my

best overall solution is Premiere Pro 2.0 from my CS2 Advanced Production

Studio.  The easy answer is to private the software.  I won't private

software.  I also doubt Adobe will sell me additional licenses of Premiere

Pro 2.0.  This version has served me faithfully for years.  It can't do a

Blu-ray disc or AVCHD, so I upgraded to CS4 for High Definition.  Due to the

time constraints of creating DVDs on site, we are currently shooting in

standard definition.  If Premiere Pro is rock solid stable and reliable, I

know Adobe is capable of creating such a product.  Adobe should understand

that, like me, people start with the entry level product and move up if they

are professionals.

I went to purchase a full version at Costco today, but they did not have it

in stock.  My trusty CS2 machine awaits to finish the orders from Saturday.

• 32. Re: Real Time Field Test of PRE 9 - Results DISASTEROUS!
                                                                        Ed.Macke Level 3

Well, Paul, I wish you luck.

Buying the licensed version will take care of the watermarking issues you mentioned in your original post. I be surprised if you saw any difference in the other areas, though.

Don't discount freeware, though. While there is certainly a lot of "you get what you pay for", there are also some rock-solid alternatives... IMO, WinDV and ImgBurn are more stable and better than the PrE functions they replace, they just happen to be free.

Good luck!