10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 9:38 AM by JaysonM-Y

Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin

liquid creations

This is a strange one.

I think its more an issue now than ever due to tapeless format editing. I edit lots of video now shot on Canon 5d. They sometimes have thousands of individual clips.

The problem is that our project files are getting huge and premiere slows to a grinding halt.

We copy paste lots of timelines from one project to another. When we paste, all of the source clips land in the project bin (as you would expect) However, sometimes I have already made reference to the same source files in the edit to begin with (So they are already in the project bin)

However, when I paste a new timeline, it will make another reference to that same source clip in the project bin. Therefore double up reference to a souce clip in the project. Increasing the clips in the overall project, which bloats everything and slows premiere down.

Can premiere be smarter? Can it see that the source file already exists in the project and link to that existing file instead of creating another reference to the same file?

Hope that makes sence.

• 1. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
          shooternz Level 6

It is normal to have multiple refernces to the same source clip.  Thats a function of non destru

ctive editing. They are only instances (refernces to the original source)

Bloating of the project file is another issue and that has been addressed with latest updates of CS5.

You may have to delete some render files but do a search on "project bloating" (if that is indeed your issue)

• 2. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
            Jim_Simon Level 8

It is normal to have multiple refernces to the same source clip.

That's what he wants, but not what he is getting.

He's saying that Clip_001 is already in the project and in a sequence.  When a second sequence is imported, it also contains a reference to Clip_001.  Instead of using Clip_001 that is already in the bin, Premiere brings in a second source Clip_001.  What he wants is for Premier to reference the original Clip_001 that was already in the bin.

The only way I can think of to make that happen is to bring in all the sequences you will need for the project before you import the rest of your media.  However, even then if the sequences are drawn from multiple projects, you will still likely get multiple copies of the source clips.

• 3. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With my brief work in CS4 and now on to CS5, I'm was really like importing projects into others, but thought, mistakenly, that it would have a dynamic link quality.  It does not, of course.  The import is just a way to get the sequences, and assets, into the other project.  From then on, it changes things.  Adding insult to injury, I'll bet that if you change a sequence and import the same sequence back to the original, it adds all the clips again!

And at first in this thread, I thought this should be considered a "bug," since adobe apps are tracking asset files with xml identifiers.  But in a given project, the characteristics/add-ons for that clip in that project are different (e.g. markers that are added to a clip in the source monitor).

Workaround, point to the key assets and do replace?  For lots of clips; I don't think so.

In any event, unrelated to this issue, I have started to think that such imports have a downside when you have the realistic alternative to keeping all the sequences in one project.

But I'm still using those tiny ol' SD files.

• 4. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                liquid creations Level 1

I am beginning to think that there is no easy way around this issue.

I have started to use Final Cut and am noticing lots of differences between the two platforms. I have been a Adobe Premiere user for 10 years and I concider myself a NINJA using this program. However, there are definitly differences between the two, this being one of them.

Final cut does not double up on source references in your project bin when copying one sequence from one project into another.

CLEVER

Its annoying that premiere doubles files up as it gets ridiculously messy in your project bin. Double ups, triple ups, quadruple ups the list goes on.

Its strange cause when you start a Prem project from scratch and import a source clip, you can set in and out points as many times as possible and drag onto the timeline, and it does not duplicate the original source file in the project bin. Thus keeping your project bin neat and clean. However, as soon as you paste a sequence, it goes and duplicates refeneces like its outta control, rather than looking at what you alraedy have in your project bin and saying to itself. (Hmmm well the source clip is already here, so we dont have to duplicate this one....move onto the next file)

Prem is great at lots of things, dont get me wrong. I freaking love the program, however, things like this let it down as the program becomes unusable as it gets bogged down with way too many clip references.

Hmmm, we shall see who wins the day in the end. Time do do some Final Cut edditing now.

P.S. Final cut can do 16 multi clips in a real time edit. Premiere...only 4...come on Prem, pick up your game!

• 5. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                  shooternz Level 6
                  We copy paste lots of timelines from one project to another.

Just curious...why do you do that?

• 6. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                    JaysonM-Y Level 3

I have a list from last year when I got cs4 comparing the FCP and PP. FCP won that but I'm not sure how it would fare vs CS5.

• 7. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                      shooternz Level 6

Are you keen on sharing your list (in a separate thread).

• 8. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                        liquid creations Level 1

We work on long form documentaries which become massive projects. So we might start off with one project that contains 20 sequences or so with complex cuts. If you continue to add more and more sequences to the project file. Premier gets really slow. So we try to only cut and paste when we are happy with a sequence in the original. Then we transport it to another project that hopefully is not as full of clips.

Also, we are a couple of edittors. So sometimes we work on the same documentary at once. So therefore, we have to use different Premier projects.

One thing FCP does that ABSOLUTLY Premiere should adopt, is the ability to have several projects open at once, so you can flip back and forth....hmm, FCP does start to look like a better option for long form Documentary.

• 9. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                          shooternz Level 6

I get it.

One thing FCP does that ABSOLUTLY Premiere should adopt, is the ability to have several projects open at once, so you can flip back and forth....

and I agree with that.

• 10. Re: Multiple instances of the same source clip in Project bin
                            JaysonM-Y Level 3

One thing FCP does that ABSOLUTLY Premiere should adopt, is the ability to have several projects open at once, so you can flip back and forth...

Been saying this from cs3....