17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 8:17 PM by shooternz

Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges

Colin Brougham Level 6

Long story short (and one I don't have all the technical details about), when recording DVCPROHD 1080p/24pA to P2 cards using a Panasonic HVX200, a strange flashing line artifact appears every four frames at the very top of the frame. Here's a quick GIF animation of two frames, one with the line, the other without (click to view in a pop-up):

flashing-line.gif

It's really distracting, and while I can crop this out for either web or DVD delivery, it's not really possible for BR. What I'm trying to do is figure out a good way to clean up or remove this artifact.

I found Pixelan Clean Crop, and downloaded the demo; it works well. It basically blends a few lines together to effectively mask the flashing line. I'll buy this if necessary, but would prefer to do this with already-available plugins or techniques, if possible.

I've also successfully masked the line using the CC Simple Wire Removal effect (copied CycoreFX from AE), and by using the frame offset option along with Hold keyframes, I can mask this. However, it kills real time playback almost immediately.

Does anyone have any efficient or creative ways of eliminating this type of artifact using what's already available in Premiere? Or should I just pony up the cash for the Pixelan plugin and call it good?

• 1. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's really distracting, and while I can crop this out for either web or DVD delivery, it's not really possible for BR.

The technocrats' error in making HD 16:9 could be what saves you here.  I personally crop all my widescreen projects to the proper 1.85:1 aspect ratio.  You do this by cropping 2% from both the top and bottom, adding small black bars.  They probably won't even show up on a lot of displays due to overscan, and it may just be enough to cover the offending flash.

• 2. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wild quess: channel blur?

• 3. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Rats--I was hopeful! It *sort of* works, but since I can't (in one effect, anyway) limit the result to just that area, it blurs the whole frame.

This is where I could really use a field hit fix tool (via Animatte) as there is in Avid... le sigh...

I'm thinking that the Pixelan plugin is going to be the best way to do this; I've got plenty more 1080p/24pA to deal with.

• 4. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I've got plenty more 1080p/24pA to deal with.

If it were me, I'd also look into what's causing it.  Seems to me the artifact should not be there.

• 5. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

It shouldn't, but it's been a problem with the HVX200 since Day #1. It has to do with the pulldown flagging when using 24pA in 1080p mode, but only when recording to P2. The same camera recording 1080p/24pA to OnLocation produces clean frames... go figure. I believe it was fixed in the 200A and subsequent similar models, but you play the cards you're dealt.

• 6. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

It has to do with the pulldown flagging

Hmm.  Is the 200 not capable of recording 24pN?  Or it that only possible at 720?

• 7. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

That's just 720p that enables the "N"ative modes. Since DVCPROHD 1080i/p doesn't have a native mode, I'll usually shoot in 24pA (since 1080 is an interlaced format, intrinsically) and then let Premiere remove the extraneous frame for 24p editing in a 24p sequence. Unfortunately, it's not a Premiere issue, as the flashing line appears in P2 Viewer and other P2 enabled applications as well. Just one of those quirks...

• 8. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Bummer man.

In that case, I'd either shoot all future work at 720 or crop it to it's proper 1.85:1 aspect ratio.  (Actually, even at 720 I'd still crop.)

• 9. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Jim says, simple may be the way to go.

Option in AE (and perhaps this works just as well in PR), apply a matte that limits the effect to the part you want, then apply an effect such as you described.

• 10. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Unfortunately, cropping is not an option: I can't crop HD for HD output without requiring upscaling (and unnecessary softening), and the wider 1.85:1 scope isn't going to work for this project. I have enough trouble just convincing clients that widescreen actually let's you see MORE of an image Given the nature of this project, After Effects for this would be a colossal pain in the posterior, so that's out, too.

That all said, I just purchased the CleanCrop effect from Pixelan for $29, after finding out that it WAS available ala carte (it's part of the CreativEase effects). For that price, it's one of those moments when spending the money is a far better value than trying to cook up something from scratch. Frankly, I think this plugin qualifies as "magic." In order to get it by itself (it's usually only part of the bundle), you need to back door: https://www.supersafesecure.com/buy/pixelan/form-smce3dafx.htm

Well worth it...

• 11. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go ahead; just do your "easy magic" like the pros: buy a plugin and charge it to the client!

For some time in the future when I need that option, which "pack" was it?

• 12. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Charge to the client... say... there's an idea

It's the "Extras" pack, which contains the CleanCrop effect, and the 400 extra "Spices" that are to be used with the other CreativEase effects, and with SpiceMaster. If you ever have to deal with analog video (professional or consumer) that has noisy edges, it's a cheap and easy way clean up the frame when you need a full aperture.

• 13. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I can't crop HD for HD output without requiring upscaling

Sure you can.  You leave the black bars.  Damn the fussy clients who don't know what's correct and what's not! 

(They probably have stretched out Silly Putty looking faces on their HD set when watching older square programming, don't they?)

• 14. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You might have hit on a promo for Colin. He hands out those little "eggs" of Silly Putty, and a brochure on how HIS Video productions are correct, while most others' are not...

Hunt

• 15. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                                      shooternz Level 6

Hey colin

Does the "effect" only cover the pixels of the dark bar or does it actually extend further down the image as seen in the gif example?

Whatever...maybe you could consider Instant HD to resize the clips marginally.  I think it would do a great job on it.

I  sometimes use Instant HD for functions beyond its original "design intent" in exactly this way.  Also...I occassionally use JUST its sharpening function .

BTW - I have never seen this issue in my PAL HVXs (202)

• 16. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Does the "effect" only cover the pixels of the dark bar or does it actually extend further down the image as seen in the gif example?

I assume by "effect" you're referring to the artifact? Truthfully, the sample above is a bit distorted; I blew up the portion of the frame where the artifact appears, so it looks much larger than it is in reality. Here's an unprocessed frame right from a clip:

frame-artifact.jpg

In the top left corner, running about a third of the way to the right, you'll see a pink line. There is also another pink line on the scan line above that that runs all the way across the frame. This flickers continuously, every fourth frame, which coincides with the 2:3:3:2 pulldown rate. If it was consistent, it wouldn't be that big of an issue (though still not right), but the flickering is so evident that eventually that's all you see!

maybe you could consider Instant HD to resize the clips marginally.  I think it would do a great job on it.

Thanks for the recommendation; fortunately, the Pixelan CleanCrop effect fixed this up easily, at a bargain basement price. Rendered reasonably quickly too.

BTW - I have never seen this issue in my PAL HVXs (202)

Of course not--you don't have to suffer the ignomies of NTSC video! Since you've got those even integer frame rates that not only divide into each other nicely, but also don't require any of this pulldown nonsense, you're good to go. Always gotta be somethin'...

• 17. Re: Cleaning up artifacts around video frame edges
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          Of course not--you don't have to suffer the ignomies of NTSC video! Since you've got those even integer frame rates that not only divide into each other nicely, but also don't require any of this pulldown nonsense, you're good to go. Always gotta be somethin'...

I suspect most Pal landers like me just glaze over at any mention of  pull downs and drop frames etc and our knowledge of it is limited accordingly.

"NTSC always hertz the one who loves it"

I just made that up.  Hope you get it