3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2010 11:07 AM by Steve Grisetti

Store unwanted projects. Archive or move.What is the difference ?

Habyn

I want to get some space back on my hard disk by moving a project to an external drive.  PE8 doesn't want to delete the moved files from my hard disk when I use the move command. "An error has occurred reading or writing files to disk.The disk may be full or there may be problems with the source material." It seems that there is a missing file preventing this. I am unconfortable about deleting the files manually, as frankly I don't understand what I may need to keep on my hard disk should I want to use the project again in the future. Does archive fulfill the same function ?

• 1. Re: Store unwanted projects. Archive or move.What is the difference ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Archiving moves the project files as well as any media files that were imported into your project to a new location.If you feel your project may need to be editable in the future, this is the best way to back up your file.

If, on the other hand, you just want to save your completed project for back up, you can do this by using Share/Personal Computer/AVI to store a high-quality version of your final, completed project and then you can clear off your media files using the Organizer or your operating system.

• 2. Re: Store unwanted projects. Archive or move.What is the difference ?
            Ed.Macke Level 3

Archiving moves the project files as well as any media files that were imported into your project to a new location...

Steve, does the archive function move or copy project files? I can't remember.

I know it's a subtle distinction, but if it only copies then the OP would still need to delete the original files.

Also, isn't there a setting in the Archive funtion that says, basically, 1) copy everything, or 2) only copy material that was used?

@Habyn: I use Project Archive all the time. I tell it to only copy the material that was actually used which ensures that my backup is perfectly edit-able in the future, but greatly reduces the space required. The only caveat to doing it this way is that if you wanted to edit your project in the future, you couldn't include source material that wasn't used in your original project

• 3. Re: Store unwanted projects. Archive or move.What is the difference ?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're right, Ed. It COPIES the files to a new location for archiving.

Once they're there and archived, it's still up to you to clear the old files off of your hard drive.