10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2010 1:36 AM by booforowl

new computor

booforowl

Hi all

This is very new to me. Not even shure if this is something for this Forum

I am looking to upgrade my computer, but dont know if it will be compatible with CS4 Extended

my old system is windows 32bit home computer

new lap tops seen to be 64 bit !!!!.

Can anybody help. I have asked at a couple of computer shops. They say it should ? be ok and then try to sell me a laptop for £1000.00

I need to know please is it YES or NO.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: new computor
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

get a system that can run cs5.

Look a few posts down and you'll get some good leads.

as in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/731819?tstart=0

there are others....

I'm a bit too lazy to check the Pound to Dollars equivalent but I'm almost sure that they're trying to sell you crap.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: new computor
            arimannis

To answer your original question since some people do not relize not everyone can afford cs5, yes cs4 can run on 64 bit, it doesnt take advantage of 64bit like cs5 but it can run.

• 3. Re: new computor
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              I have asked at a couple of computer shops. They say it should ? be ok and then try to sell me a laptop for £1000.00

That is utter BS. If you want to edit on a laptop, be prepared to invest around $ 4000 - 5000 for a decent Sager or Clevo notebook. For about half the price you have a decent desktop.

Prepare for these minimum requirements (assuming AVCHD):

i7-930+ CPU

12 GB DDR3 memory

3 physical 7200 SATA disks

1 GB nVidia video card

WXGA+ monitor or better

Win7 64 Pro

• 4. Re: new computor
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

True, not everyone can afford CS5 but how good would the investment in a new system be if you purchased a configuration that worked fine with CS4 but would not work very well with CS5. Since the goal is to buy a new system and that has to be done anyway, why not future proof for CS5 rather than design around CS4. Any system that runs CS5 well will easily handle CS4. So the best investment of time and funds is build around CS5 even if you are not there yet.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: new computor
                  booforowl Level 1

HI Many thanks forthe information, Have read through some of it and seem like I have to spend more than I can afford to run CS5

• 6. Re: new computor
                    booforowl Level 1

Hi Many thanks for the answer.

Could run to upgrade from CS4 to CS5 but then could not afford to get the laptop to run it properly.

As a beginer to this I am still trying to grasp all the info to get the best out of my CS4.Taking the photo

seems to be the easy bit now.

• 7. Re: new computor
                      booforowl Level 1

Hi this is only a hobby

and the laptop was just to down load to

and do some basic work on.

I do not have £2000 to spend on a laptop

But it would be nice to have

• 8. Re: new computor
                        booforowl Level 1

Hi Eric

My home system will be able to run CS5 as the upgrades to graphic card and memory are on the cards.

I am going on a trip and wanted somthing to down load to and edit in the evening.

With all the info I have received.

I will get a reasonable laptop then put my photos on it . Then do some basic work on them .

May even purchase element 9.

Many thanks

• 9. Re: new computor
                          JaysonM-Y Level 3

If it's only a hobby, not serious 'crap this is taking too long and I'm already 3 hours over the deadline' kinda situation I find that as long as it's multi core and has 4gb+ memory with a decent gfx chip, you'll manage just fine. Seriously.... I know people running CS5 on $600 (AMD and Intel) laptops. Getting their materials, effects, rendering, exporting/converting and the types of media they can manage usually ends up pushing them into 5x the work hours I'd do normally tho. I already, technically, have no life outside of work and family. The last thing I need is 5x more work.

• 10. Re: new computor
                            booforowl Level 1

Hi Many thanks for all the info

I have now managed to get  myself a lap top.

Its a Dell i7 760 quad core.

1gb ati radion graphics card

8 gb ram ddr3

500 gb hard drive.

£800 ouch

Will just have to put off the new lens for a few months

Mick