7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2007 2:26 PM by Newsgroup_User

flash quiz!

solarflare130
      Hi,

I saw a post similar to mine from 2006, but there was no response. What I want to do is make an 8-10 question quiz, and have the users click either yes or no, and, based on that, display feedback (sort of like a recommendation). Neither answer will be wrong or right, but there will be different feedback based on the user response.

Additionally, I would like to make a link to a website in the feedback.

Can anyone help me out?

Much appreciated,
        • 1. Re: flash quiz!
          Level 7
          Hi solarflare,

Is this for fun or for a project of some sort? It doesn't sound
          terribly complex but beyond the scope
          of a forum post.

Regards,
          Patrick
          BNM

solarflare130 wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I saw a post similar to mine from 2006, but there was no response. What I want
          > to do is make an 8-10 question quiz, and have the users click either yes or no,
          > and, based on that, display feedback (sort of like a recommendation). Neither
          > answer will be wrong or right, but there will be different feedback based on
          > the user response.
          >
          > Additionally, I would like to make a link to a website in the feedback.
          >
          > Can anyone help me out?
          >
          > Much appreciated,
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: flash quiz!
            solarflare130 Level 1
            It's for a website for work. I mean i guess i could do it with the HotObjects and just make my own buttons, but that doesn't take care of the answer scoring (which i don't want to use) and creating a link in the feedback text.

On a related note, there's no easy way to hold all the feedback to the end and display it on one page?

THANKS!
            • 3. Re: flash quiz!
              Level 7
              Is there a budget for this? It really doesn't sound too over the top and
              something I may be able to help you with.

Patrick

solarflare130 wrote:
              > It's for a website for work. I mean i guess i could do it with the HotObjects
              > and just make my own buttons, but that doesn't take care of the answer scoring
              > (which i don't want to use) and creating a link in the feedback text.
              >
              > On a related note, there's no easy way to hold all the feedback to the end and
              > display it on one page?
              >
              > THANKS!
              >
              • 4. Re: flash quiz!
                Level 7
                This can be simple of very complex. Are you planning on showing a unique
                response for each answer given? In other words, are there 20 possible
                responses to the 10 questions? Or are there responses based on a matrix
                of the answers? If 3,5 7 are true and 1,2,4,6, are false, that sort of
                thing?

In any case, the actual work that you are looking for is way beyond a
                forum response. You might want to diagram out what you want to
                accomplish and then ask specific questions about how to store the user
                data and then how to interpret the data, and then how to display the
                result.

--
                Rob

412-243-9119
                http://www.adobe.com/downloads
                • 5. flash quiz!
                  solarflare130 Level 1
                  As far as a budget, I need to be able to do it myself.

Yes, there would have to be 20 different responses for a 10 question quiz (a different yes and no feedback for each question)

If you look at

http://biotene.com/healthWatch/dryMouthScore.asp

I'm really trying to emulate that.. I want to ask the user about 8 yes/no questions, along the lines of "Do you have x at your company", "have you completed y updates in the last 6 months". A "No" response would give a recommendation (aka a link to one of our products) and a "Yes" would give a different feedback (still possibly a link but different wording).

The only difference (and I say only because I'm not really sure what this involves) between what I'm trying to do and the link i provided is that I don't want to tally the responses, because they are not getting feedback based on the total end score, it is on a question by question basis. If possible i would want all the results at the end, broken out by question (Question: whatever You answered: Whatever Recommendation: buy our stuff) ; i would settle for giving a response after each question as long as i could put a link in the feedback.

Honestly, if you think it's too complicated, please tell me so I can figure something else out, because any of you probably know better than i do. Like I said, I'm a fairly basic user, i can learn easily with a good tutorial or good instruction, but I'm not sure if I'm in over my head, and I don't mind you telling me if i am.

Thanks much for your help-
                  • 6. Re: flash quiz!
                    Level 7
                    Okay, no problem. Do you have a deadline for this? I'm thinking that you
                    could do this pretty simply via an
                    XML data feed to specify questions, or possibly even a series of SWFs
                    that each perform an action
                    based on the selection. I'd be happy to help you put it together if you
                    have no objections to using my open-source
                    API.

I'm putting together discussion forums at baynewmedia.com where you'll
                    be able to download the API and we can continue there. I can use the
                    patronage and I'm sure I can help you out in return.

Regards,
                    Patrick

solarflare130 wrote:
                    > As far as a budget, I need to be able to do it myself.
                    >
                    > If you look at
                    >
                    > http://biotene.com/healthWatch/dryMouthScore.asp
                    >
                    > I'm really trying to emulate that.. I want to ask the user about 8 yes/no
                    > questions, along the lines of "Do you have x at your company", "have you
                    > completed y updates in the last 6 months". A "No" response would give a
                    > recommendation (aka a link to one of our products) and a "Yes" would give a
                    > different feedback (still possibly a link but different wording).
                    >
                    > The only difference (and I say only because I'm not really sure what this
                    > involves) between what I'm trying to do and the link i provided is that I don't
                    > want to tally the responses, because they are not getting feedback based on the
                    > total end score, it is on a question by question basis. If possible i would
                    > want all the results at the end, broken out by question (Question: whatever
                    > You answered: Whatever Recommendation: buy our stuff) ; i would settle for
                    > giving a response after each question as long as i could put a link in the
                    > feedback.
                    >
                    > Honestly, if you think it's too complicated, please tell me so I can figure
                    > something else out, because any of you probably know better than i do. Like I
                    > said, I'm a fairly basic user, i can learn easily with a good tutorial or good
                    > instruction, but I'm not sure if I'm in over my head, and I don't mind you
                    > telling me if i am.
                    >
                    > Thanks much for your help-
                    >
                    >
                    • 7. Re: flash quiz!
                      Level 7
                      If you want to show a new response for each answer then the solution is
                      very simple. You can lay this out something like this:

1. On one frame, place the first question. Based on the user's answer,
                      move to one of two new frames, one frame holds the yes response, the
                      other holds the no response. Have a button on each of these response
                      frames to move the user to the next question. Repeat as needed.

2. Instead of moving from frame to frame, one option would be to place
                      two dynamic text fields on the stage, one to hold the question, the
                      second to hold the response. change the contents of the text fields for
                      each question and answer. You can keep the text in variables written to
                      an actionscript frame space or in an external text file.

--
                      Rob

412-243-9119
                      http://www.adobe.com/downloads