10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 3:36 PM by Larry Tseng

How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?

susan41 Level 1

I have a new laptop/workstation, running Windows 7 pro 64-bit.

When docked, I want my Eizo calibration (internal hardware set with ColorNavigator) to be the only calibration. When undocked, I want my laptop screen calibration (video card LUT set with I1 Match3) to be active.

How do I switch back and forth? Eizo says not to run them both (effectively in series, so dual calibration).

Thanks, slchapin41@gmail.com

• 1. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
          LWAILD

Don't have a clue as to why this has been sent to me. I work with Autocad 11 and questioned how to get a black and white PDF from my color Autocad dwgs.

Sorry,

>>> susan41 <forums@adobe.com> 10/4/2010 3:22 PM >>>

I have a new laptop/workstation, running Windows 7 pro 64-bit.

When docked, I want my Eizo calibration (internal hardware set with ColorNavigator) to be the only calibration. When undocked, I want my laptop screen calibration (video card LUT set with I1 Match3) to be active.

How do I switch back and forth? Eizo says not to run them both (effectively in series, so dual calibration).

Thanks, mailto:slchapin41@gmail.com

• 2. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
            Level 4

LWAILD wrote:

Don't have a clue as to why this has been sent to me…

Nothing was "sent to you", LWAILD.  It was posted to a public forum through the forum's web interface. 

It looks like you subscribed to get email notifications of all the messages that will ever be posted to the forum.  Be prepared to be bombarded with such email notifications until you go back to the forum and change your forum preferences AND also go back to any thread from which you have already received an email message and STOP the email notifications.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 3. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
              Larry Tseng Level 1

susan41 wrote:

[...]

Justa thought: if your graphics card allows it, you could try running the laptop in dual monitor mode, i.e., make the Eizo desktop an extension to your laptop desktop, then calibrate and profile the two monitors separately. Then you wouldn't have to switch between two calibrations/profiles.

• 4. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                susan41 Level 1

I wish.

I want the Eizo to be the primary monitor when docked (calibrated), a Samsung to be the secondary monitor (uncalibrated is OK), and the laptop screen (calibrated) to be the primary and only monitor when undocked.

As I understand it, since my graphics card has only one LUT, I can't "calibrate and profile the two monitors separately." I wish I could have all three monitors calibrated simultaneously, but hey it's a laptop not a tower and has exactly one graphics card, an Nvidia quadro fx m1800.

I think I know I can only have one profile running at a time, and that fact is independent of whether I am in mode duplicate or mode extend. The question is, if I calibrate the laptop using I1 Match3 on Windows 7, how do I enable that profile when undocked, and disable it when docked?

Thanks, susan

• 5. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                  MJOrts Level 3

Hi Susan,

I have a two monitor setup using a single graphics card on a Windows 7 tower computer, so I'm not sure if this will work exactly the same for your laptop setup but you can give it a try if you haven't already.

Have you tried accessing the Color Management option in the Control Panel?  This is located in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Color Management.

The "Device" section at the top of the Color Management dialog window has a drop-down menu that allows you to look at different devices and the color profiles assigned to them.  When plugged in, at least for my tower computer, both of my monitors are listed in this dropdown.

Once the monitor is selected in the Device drop down, you should see the "Profiles associated with this device:" menu populate with the profile that the monitor has assigned to it.  If this menu is blank, I believe it means the default OS RGB profile is being applied to the monitor (which I think is just sRGB or something equivalent).

You can click the [Add...] button to add the profile you want, or select a profile inside of the menu and click the [Set as Default Profile] button.  This will assign that profile to the specific monitor selected in the menu.

I used a Spyder 3 Pro to profile both of my monitors, and the Spyder profile software automatically assigned each monitor its individual profile without any problems, and I'm just using a single Radeon 5000 series graphics card.  The ability to color manage multiple monitors may depend more on the specific graphics card rather than the number of graphics cards on the machine.

Have you tried this?  Does it help?  Maybe I told you something you already tried?

• 6. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                    Larry Tseng Level 1

Hi Susan,

I'm with MJ on this. Windows 7 apparently has the LUT loader built in, so you should be able to switch profile and calibration all at one go.

http://7fttallrussian.livejournal.com/56769.html

It might be a good idea to move the existing old-style LUT loader short-cuts from the Startup folder since Windows 7 now handles this chore at boot up.

Larry

• 7. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                      susan41 Level 1

Oh, that's INTERESTING. I didn't know that!

I'll play with it. Thanks!

- susan

• 8. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                        susan41 Level 1

No, I hadn't known about the win7 color management applet until Larry sent a message with a link to information about it. That was just now; I will be trying it very soon.

Next I need to figure out how to keep 3rd party LUT loaders from running.

I also wonder what is the best tool to make a profile for my laptop - I1 Match3 or the Windows 7 one? I have an eye-one Display 2 measuring device. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions about this?

Thanks,

- susan

• 9. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                          MJOrts Level 3

If you like the results you get from the eye-one I would stick with that.  If you leave the Color Management panel blank for your device's profile, it will use sRGB (it calls it wsRGB, but I think it's the same as sRGB).

I wouldn't recommend calibrating the monitor with the OS's setup tool, only because this calibration is subjectively based on judging and adjusting the way images look on the monitor to the individual user.  It might make the display look nicer to you, but it'll be difficult to characterize or trouble shoot any color management problems that include that display in the workflow.

Don't forget, if you profile the monitor, make sure you keep the brightness, contrast, and any other settings constant (the same settings you profiled with) if you want the profile to remain accurate.

• 10. Re: How calibrate laptop screen AND Eizo CD240W?
                            Larry Tseng Level 1

susan41 wrote:

Next I need to figure out how to keep 3rd party LUT loaders from running.

Search your c drive for folders named startup. The LUT loader for i1match3 on my Vista machine is called Logo Calibration Loader, so you should find a shortcut of it in one of the startup folders. Mine has a ProfileReminder shortcut as well. If you're running Adobe apps, the shortcut to Adobe Gamma shouldn't be around either. Just move the shortcuts somewhere else temporarily while you're getting things sorted out. Reboot.