16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 8:57 PM by markf12

Master Page help

markf12 Level 1

I am new to Firworks but hope to get it sorted out.

I created a multi layered website mockup in photoshop cs4. By turning on and off layers I can show the state of the nav system and resulting page layouts. I want to use Fireworks to turn this into an interactive website mockup with rollover and click through and etc behavour.

I have imported this .psd file into FW CS4. Then I set only the common layers like logo, header background, basic nav elements, etc to be turned on, hide the other layers and then designate that as a Master Page. So far so good.

I then create a new page called Home and it is automaticaly linked to the Master Page (minor confusion: even though the link icon to the left of the page is not active?)

Now I want to turn on some layers to show the Home Page nav in it's selected state and show some content specific to the Home Page. I can't seem to figure out how to get those layers (that I've already created) copied from the master page to the new Home Page so I can show them.

Perhaps I should be making use of layer states for this?

I hope this makes sense. I've read all of the help and etc I could find but I seem to be stuck here.

TIA for any help!

• 1. Re: Master Page help
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

All new pages are automatically linked to the contents of the Master Page. The "link" icon does two things: It forces the page to the same dimensions *** the Master Page and same Canvas color.

The Master page should only contain objects which will be visible on all pages, all the time. If you want to share certain layers to certain pages, then you should  choose the option to share layers to pages. This gives you more selective control than the Master page. If you choose this option, the layers will need to be on a page other than the master page.

Sharing the file would also be helpful.

Jim Babbage

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Master Page help
            markf12 Level 1

Hi Jim. Thanks for your helpful reply. I have gained much from your tutorials!

I believe I now understand the page "ink" icon.

>>The Master page should only contain objects which will be visible on all pages, all the time<<

So I delete all of the layers that are specific to individual pages and not to be visible at all times. Then make Master Page

>> If you want to share certain layers to certain pages, then you should   choose the option to share layers to pages. This gives you more  selective control than the Master page. If you choose this option, the  layers will need to be on a page other than the master page.<<

I made a copy of the original page, with all of the layers. Then I deleted all of the layers that were not required for the Master Page from the original page. Next I make the original page a Master Page. I go to the copy of the original page (not linked to MP) and choose the option to share layer to pages. Then I choose make new page.

The new page is created with 4 copies of the layer from the original -weird-. If I add an effect to a layer in the MP it does not translate to the new page.

I know I'm doing somehting wrong, I just can't figure out what.

i would like to attach the file but can't seem figure out how. I can post it to my personal site like below. That however does not give the ability to see the layers and etc.

http://www.openrangeimaging.com/test-posts/Home_Page02.png

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Master Page help
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

The link doesn't work.

Jim Babbage

• 4. Re: Master Page help
                markf12 Level 1

Jim thank you for your quick reply. I used the button above to add the link. I was trying to click the link and it wasn't working for me either.

I tried typing the address in my web browser manually and it works. I feel retarded because I can't insert a link into this forum post. Below is a pasted copy of what I typed into my web browser address field. I believe it's identical to what I inserted using the insert link button above. sorry for the trouble.

http://wwww.openrangeimaging.com/test-posts/Home_Page02.png

EDIT: so odd. I looked at this again and the link in this post norw seems to work. But it's spelled incorrectly with 4w's (wwww) at the begining. strange. Using insert link button above vs copy and paste adress from my browser. I also notice that when I click on the link in my post above, the image appears briefly and then changes to all white/blank image.

• 5. Re: Master Page help
                  Jim_Babbage Level 4

Well, even with 4 w's in the hyperlink, it worked this time   Must have been a typo in your last post.

Jim Babbage

• 6. Re: Master Page help
                    markf12 Level 1

I don't see any typo but...

Does this help you in  understanding what I am trying to do? I would like to be able to provide the file with the layer and page structure (Would that be helpful?), but can't seem to find how to do that.

Thank you!

• 7. Re: Master Page help
                      Jim_Babbage Level 4

The file you uploaded is a Fireworks PNG file. Downloading it has allowed me to see the two pages you've created in FW

Jim Babbage

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Master Page help
                        markf12 Level 1

Jim, I noticed your last reply was blank.

Did what you intended to reply with get left out of the post some how? Seems

like there was some odd behavior with the forum software so i thought I should check.

thanks

• 10. Re: Master Page help
                          Jim_Babbage Level 4

I found the message:

>>The Master page should only contain objects which will be visible on all pages, all the time<<
                          So I delete all of the layers that are specific to individual pages and not to be visible at all times. Then make Master Page<<

JB - First make a back up of the original file. ;-)

You have an extra level of complexity because all your layers are nested inside an unnamed layer. Pull the layers out of that layer group.

Make a duplicate page, then delete the non common data from the page that will become the master page.

The rest I have to look at still.

• 11. Re: Master Page help
                            markf12 Level 1

OK. I have made backups of the original file previously and incrementally as this has progressed (or not <g>).

I uploaded a new version of the file:

http://www.openrangeimaging.com/test-posts/Mockup03.png

I made a copy of the original page. Then I moved all of the layers out of the Layer 1(thats how  my pshop file imported into FW even though they were not all grouped into one layer in the pshop file) so they were now not all grouped in Layer1.

Next I deleted all of the layers that had objects that were not to be part of the MPage (not to be shared across all pages). Then I made that page the Master Page. So far so good.

I then I invoked the make new page command. The new page was created with an empty web layer, 4 identical layers that contain all of the layers from my original page including those that I deleted before making the MPage, very odd and last a Master Page layer with the same layers as the MPage. Having the layers that I deleted form the Master Page present in the new page allowed me to access them which I need to be able to do but it's bizarre that they re-appeared and major stumbling blocks remain.

I then deleted the redudndant layers from the new page . I made some changes to the layers to show how the Home page should appear. I then I invoked the make new page command again.

The second new page was created with the same settings as the first new page/Home page. Not with the configuration of the Master Page as it should, if I understand correctly, be created. It also has the same 4 redundant/duplicate layers that each contain all of the layers including what I deleted before making the Master Page very odd. Also the layers in each of these new pages has the share to all pages icon enabled/present on the redundant layers when they are created. I removed that form the layer that I left in page1 of the example I uploaded with this post.

This is very strange and I am pretty lost. It part way works in that if I continue to create new pages. delete the redundant layers. disable the share across all pages from the remaining layer. make the changes specific to each new page. I can then have a set of pages that each show what I want them to. However I tried making some edits to the MPage and they are not repeated across the new pages that were created from the Mpage. Specifically I tried turning off a layer in the Mpage and also adding a noise filter to one of the background layers in the MPage. Neither of these edits carry through to the other pages that are based on the Master Page.

Perhaps to use the Master page functionality one must build the whole thing from the start in FW and not start with imported pshop file? I hope that's not the case and that the trouble is on my end. this is very strange.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this!!

• 12. Re: Master Page help
                              Jim_Babbage Level 4

OK. I have made backups of the original file previously and incrementally as this has progressed (or not <g>).

I uploaded a new version of the file:

http://www.openrangeimaging.com/test-posts/Mockup03.png

I  made a copy of the original page. Then I moved all of the layers out of  the Layer 1(thats how  my pshop file imported into FW even though they  were not all grouped into one layer in the pshop file) so they were now  not all grouped in Layer1.

JB - That is the default behavior when opening a PSD file. If there are no layer groups, FW places all the layers into parent layer Make sure you drag everything out of that layer before creating hte duplicate, or you end up with more work on your hands.

Next I deleted all of the  layers that had objects that were not to be part of the MPage (not to be  shared across all pages). Then I made that page the Master Page. So far  so good.

JB - Not quite. The Master page must contain all the content which is common to every page. Delete master page content from one page, and actual page content from the other. Set the page with all the common elements the Master page. I think this is where you went wrong.

I then I invoked the make new page command. The  new page was created with an empty web layer, 4 identical layers that  contain all of the layers from my original page including those that I  deleted before making the MPage, very odd and  last a Master Page layer with the same layers as the MPage. Having the  layers that I deleted form the Master Page present in the new page  allowed me to access them which I need to be able to do but it's bizarre  that they re-appeared and major stumbling blocks remain.

New pages will contain a special layer, called the Master Page layer. All the content (including the layers) from the Master page will be visible - but not editable - on this new page.

Perhaps  to use the Master page functionality one must build the whole thing  from the start in FW and not start with imported pshop file? I hope  that's not the case and that the trouble is on my end. this is very  strange.

JB - No that is not the case. I was able to create a Master/sub page scenario from the file you made available yesterday. Try what I have suggested in this post and let me know how you make out.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this!!

• 13. Re: Master Page help
                                markf12 Level 1

>>B - That is the default behavior when opening a PSD file. If  there are no layer groups, FW places all the layers into parent layer  Make sure you drag everything out of that layer before creating hte  duplicate, or you end up with more work on your hands.<<

I definately did that as you describe

>>JB - Not quite. The Master page must contain all the content  which is common to every page. Delete master page content from one page,  and actual page content from the other. ??? Set the page with all the  common elements the Master page. I think this is where you went wrong.<<

Again I believe that is exactly what I did. I gues I did not word it very clearly in my post. Not 100% sure about what you mean in the section I highlited in blue above. EDIT: blue text color does not seem to be posting correctly so I made italics

>>New pages will contain a special layer, called the Master Page  layer. All the content (including the layers) from the Master page will  be visible - but not editable - on this new page.<<

I get that

>>JB - No that is not the case. I was able to create a Master/sub  page scenario from the file you made available yesterday. Try what I  have suggested in this post and let me know how you make out.<<

still getting same bizarre results. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for your ongoing help!

• 14. Re: Master Page help
                                  markf12 Level 1

So I started from scratch. Brought in my pshop file, ungrouped it from the layer it was all put into by the import. deleted/removed all things that were not to appear across all pages. made a MPage. Created new page based on master. Copied needed layers from my original file into the the new Home page. Enabled share layers in new Home page. Created new Rentals page. Detach shared layers. Make needed change.

This now seems to be working.

Sorry for all of the long posts and confusion. There was something wonky about the way I imported and went about creating things in my first try. I suspect I'll never figure out what the problem was. but I seem to be on track now. no doubt I'll have a few more questions as i try to fleshout my mockup with roll over, slide show, and click through nav. I hope I haven't exhausted your generous help.

Thanks again!!!!!!

• 15. Re: Master Page help
                                    Jim_Babbage Level 4

You'e welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted out. Next time, though, start right in FW. There was nothing in that prototype

that FW could n't have done just as easily and in terms of vectors, perhaps better. :-)

• 16. Re: Master Page help
                                      markf12 Level 1

agreed.