4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 9:19 AM by Nana00L

Embedded .swf (page flip) Very Slow

Nana00L

Hello,

Within my flash file, I embedded a .swf (page flip) that is taking too long to load. When flipping through, it lags. Is there anything that could be done?

Reference:

http://www.lucysonlinestore.co.cc/home.html

The .swf (page flip) is under "Clothes".

Any advice appreciated.

• 1. Re: Embedded .swf (page flip) Very Slow
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you have a coding error (that may or may not be related):

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
              at lucysstore_fla::contents_8/frame1()

click file/publish settings/flash and tick "permit debugging".  retest.  the line number of your problematic code will be in the error message.  fix it.

p.s.  you should have seen the above error when publishing your swf.  never deplay a swf with an error.

• 2. Re: Embedded .swf (page flip) Very Slow
            Nana00L Level 1

kglad,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I don't wish for anyone to go through my files. My intention of posting on here is for anyone with the past experience of slow performing page flips to share their solutions. Since page flip is so popular in flash sites, I thought people would have encoutered such problems. I included my site to show as an example. I do appreciate you taking the time and effort to go through the files and test run them.

The error you're referring to is caused by declaring and using the loader in frame 3. In frame 1, I'm unloading the loader. If I declare the loader in frame 1, then the unloading won't work properly.

I did search online for past posts, while many people encountered page flip performance issues, there is not much solutions out there. I thought better solutions are out now. It's at times like this that I wish I knew more about flash and AS3. Started to learn about a week ago doesn't help solving the errors.

Thank you for looking into this.

• 3. Re: Embedded .swf (page flip) Very Slow
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

improving a performance issue is usually not easy and none of the easy fixes would apply to a normal page flip.

there shouldn't be much cpu usage in a page turn other than the 3 or 4 "pages" on screen at any one time and rotations and masking and not all 3 or 4 of the "pages"/masks need to be tweened with each page turn.

if the computer viewing the page turn also has performance issues with 3 tweens on-stage at any one time, it will have problems with the page turn.  if it doesn't, it shouldn't have problems with your page turn unless there's faulty coding or something else going on in the background.

how's your computer do with a few tweens?

• 4. Re: Embedded .swf (page flip) Very Slow
                Nana00L Level 1

When I test run locally on my computer, there are no performance issues, with the tween and the page flip. I changed the image quality of the page flip from best to medium. The speed improved just a bit.

I'm testing another page flip that doesn't have any tearing or extra features to see if it would improve performance. With the new page flip, I'm encountering whole new issues like it won't reload and photos with tween is always on top which blocks the page flip.

If you're curious: http://www.lucysonlinestore.co.cc/test/testhome.html

So many frustrating problems, guess I have to chip it away slowly.