9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 9:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac

brett1279

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have two projects open at the same time and if so does the cut and paste feature works between them?

I have a lot of footage and need to split it into two different projects and don't really want to add the files to both and go through the footage again and again.

Thanks for your help

Brett

• 1. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, you can't paste between projects in Premiere Elements.

There is a third-party program for PCs (called ClipMate) that extends the clipboard to allow this -- but I don't know of any Mac-compatible program for this.

About the only solution is to output the edited clip from one project (using Share/Computer/MOV, with the DV preset) and import that into your other project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
            brett1279 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply - I thought as much

Ill just import the files to each project and hope that works

I come over to PRE 9 from iMovie 9 as it doesn't support .m2ts files or any HD files really, all these things I want to do I could in iMovie and its starting to get to me a bit.  The worse thing about iMovie is that you cant change the rendering settings at all so HD always comes out rubbish.

I really hope it doesnt come to me moving back over to iMovie when iMovie 11 comes out.

Brett

• 3. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brett,

Another way to do what you want is with the Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy.

Let's assume this scenario. You have a Project, that has everything that you want in it already. We'll dub that our "Master Project." Now, you want a variation on that Project, but with less in the way of Assets, and a modified Timeline. You have already done a Save for the Master Project intact, so you only have to alter the Timeline to suit your "Version A." [Do not recall if PrE has this feature, but PrPro has Remove Unused, which purges all Unused Assets from the Project Panel.] Restructure your Timeline, Deleting Clips, or portions of Clips, that are not needed. When done, do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy. This ARTICLE will go into a bit more detail on the differences between the three versions of Save, and give tips on how to use them. I will assume that your next version will be different from what we now have in this Project, so we'll do a Save_As_a_Copy. Close the Version A Project, and Open the Master Project again. Repeat the operations for it, and do a Save_As_a_Copy, incrementing the Project's name, or even locating that in a new/different folder.

I do this quite often, where a client might want several different versions. I also do it, where I want to create a "template" Project. I'll stop short of Importing any Assets that will not be common to all versions, and do a Save_As, and retain that as my "template," for starting each version. I do not Save over that "template," and do a Save_As for each version, protecting my template. I'll then Import the unique Assets, and edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - PrPro is exactly the same as PrE, in that one cannot have more than one instance of the program, or more than one Project Open at the same time, but it does differ in that it has Sequences (individual Timelines), which are like mini-Projects in a main Project. One can Copy/Paste between Sequences, but there can be issues with Transitions coming over, and there can also be some odd behavior with Audio - not always, but often enough to cause some issues.

• 4. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
                brett1279 Level 1

That is brilliant and such a simple solution

Thank you so much for the advice

create two projects within one, save one as Project A and then delete Project A from the time line and use the save_as option - save this a Project B and every bodies happy - This is what you mean right?

Thanks again

Brett

• 5. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure I'm getting what you're recommending, Bill. Is it different than what I've recommended? (Share/DV-MOV)

You can't simply use one project file in another project. You can only use video from one project in another, right?

• 6. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

As per your example, many do that, when they have perhaps a Part A and a Part B, that is going to a 2 disc DVD set. They will populate the Timeline with the full Duration of both discs, and then do a Save_As for Part A, after removing Part B, and repeat, but for the other Part.

With PrE, really long Timelines can cause an issue, but a powerful machine can usually handle things OK. If one does have an issue with a long Project, a slightly different workflow works well. In that, one would create several sub-Projects, edit each, and Export/Share that to a MOV file (in the case of a Mac), and when each segment is complete, create a "Master Project," and Import those Exported/Shared output files into that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
                      brett1279 Level 1

thats great - I wont have an issue with really long time lines as I only import a file one at a time and once i have taken the bits i need i delete them.

One other thing I have an issue with is that I can not view thw transitions within the time/preview, it just slows down/freezes etc, any ideas?

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies and helpful info, you really are the masters

Cheers

Brett

• 8. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

What I was talking about was using one Project as the "Master," and then eliminating the segments that are not necessary to each new version of it. This maintains the full editabiltiy, since one has several Projects, but each only has the necessary segments - from the full compliment of segments in the Master Project.

My next variation mentions the Export/Share to MOV (in this case) for the assembly in a subsequent Project.

Sorry if my reply was confusing.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Cut and paste within PRE9 Mac
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are having playability issues (with either Effects Titles or Transitions), hitting Enter/Return will Render the Timeline for ultimate playability. One can also limit the area of the Timeline to be Rendered (or even Exported/Shared with most formats), with the WAB (Work Area Bar).

Good luck,

Hunt